Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

...to be delighted that I have never witnessed my parents shagging?

(213 Posts)
Beeyump Mon 29-Jul-13 14:14:27

During one of those meandering conversations with a friend the other day, the topic of parents' public displays of affection came up. She was shocked when I said that all I could remember between them was the odd hand hold and peck on the cheek, and seemed to view witnessing her own mum and dad having sex, through a slightly opened door when she was around 11, as some kind of rite of passage. Like, I was bound to be a bit screwed up about sex because this hadn't happened to sheltered me confused Oh, the very idea of it though! And surely it's not THAT common to have seen parents DTD?

I used to hear mine at it, just typing that makes me shudder.

It's why I'm so wary of our own shagging if I think the ds's might still be awake.

With it being so hot lately the fans that have been whirring away have acted as a sound barrier, can't hear a bloody thing with those buggers on!

Sparklingbrook Mon 29-Jul-13 14:38:13

So let the DC see you having sex-to encourage them not to Lemon? grin

Beeyump Mon 29-Jul-13 14:38:18

Me neither Sparkling. Not sure whether to be pleased or sorry, really.

Have heard it, was sat in the kitchen with DB eating toast (as was our tradition after getting home from the pub) and could hear mum and dad upstairs. DB hadn't heard them, so I pointed it out to him. Hell if I was going to be the only sibling traumatised grin

Though after mum died I was helping dad sort her wardrobe out and saw a bit of black lace, my mum had a very pastel/mumsy style, so I pointed it out in a kind of "ooh dark horse hey?" tone, so dad kindly pointed out it was crotchless knickers. Thanks dad..

Sparklingbrook Mon 29-Jul-13 14:39:03

I have never been offered drugs either. sad

Lottapianos Mon 29-Jul-13 14:39:22

Dear lord, you poor people! I have never seen or heard anything like that THANK THE HEAVENS <shudder>

My poor best mate once had to endure listening to her parents going for it in the next room while they were on holiday in a mobile home i.e. tissue paper-thin walls. She said she could even hear them kissing. She was 18 at the time. She went to bed before they did and her dad said to her 'hope you sleep really well tonight'. So they had planned some hot lovin' for later - ewwww! A part of her has never quite forgiven them smile

HintofBream Mon 29-Jul-13 14:40:03

We settled our 5 and 6 year old sons to watch a little circus on the French camp site where we were staying and snatched a few passionate moments in the tent while they were occupied. Unfortunately the 5 year old suddenly reappeared in search of some item or other. We fondly thought he had seen nothing.

Some time after our return hime, and having viewed some TV wild life programmes, we heard him announcing that "I've seen three things mating now, foxes, jelly fish and Mummy and Daddy. The foxes were the best, but Mummy and Daddy were better than the jellyfish".

Such a relief that we beat the jellyfish.

phantomnamechanger Mon 29-Jul-13 14:40:50

my parents had another baby when I was 17 - obviously they found him under a bush in the garden, they didn't actually DTD, right? I mean they were in their mid THIRTIES FFS

(am now mid 40s myself and laugh at my silly teenage self)

Hint you shagged in the circus tent wink.

Go you!

Thumbwitch Mon 29-Jul-13 14:42:12

OF course YANBU - who would WANT to witness their parents shagging? shock

I saw my brother having sex with his girlfriend once - or rather, I saw his bum going up and down - that was traumatic enough, thanks. My parents - noooooo. <<shudder>>

StuntGirl Mon 29-Jul-13 14:42:59

I used to hear my mum and step dad. I just turned my walkman up louder! I thought it was gross, as all 13 year olds would I imagine, but I'm not scarred from it or anything.

My friend walked in on his dad going down on his mum once. I like to remind him of this story often grin

MrsMongoose Mon 29-Jul-13 14:43:27

Heard quite regularly. Though they heard me too smile

Surprisingly nobody was ever bothered by this. Was all very normal in our house.

phantomnamechanger Mon 29-Jul-13 14:43:30

snorting at Hint!! grin

PeriodMath Mon 29-Jul-13 14:45:49

Oh god, I saw it once. An image that can never be erased. I was about 20 I think. Lights on, not under the duvet, butt naked - I will take it to the grave.

We NEVER mentioned it.

NoComet Mon 29-Jul-13 14:46:17

l used to heat my parents quite often. I found it reasuring that they still felt that way about each other.

I never found it in the least embarrassing. In fact as an older teen I used to tease DDad and ask if they'd had fun. He'd just grin and DM would try to look suitably embarrassed.

DDad is very matter of fact about such things. I can't remember ever not knowing the facts of life, because my toddler whys had been given a straight anseer.

FobblyWoof Mon 29-Jul-13 14:47:37

I saw them once. Couldn't sleep got up to have a drink and you could see in their room when you were at the top of the stairs. Thankfully you can't see fully into their room but still <shudders>

A few years later (I must have been about 17/18 when it happened so thankfully not young) and I mentioned it to my mum. I think she was teasing me/asking to keep the noise down when DTD with dp blush and I agreed though I asked her to close the bedroom door closed when she and dad DTD and mentioned my experience. Her response? "well, we always have the door open, it would be obvious what we were doing if we shut it." confused Oh yes, because knowing they were up to something was clearly worse than seeing it hmm She does have form for saying phenomenally stupid things though.

Pawprint Mon 29-Jul-13 14:49:10

Ha ha - love this thread. When I was about ten, I went into my parents' bedroom for a throat sweet as I was unwell. They were both naked on the bed and jumped for the covers very quickly! Ewww - I did remind my mum of this once (we have a fairly relaxed relationship) but she didn't remember.

The worst noisy shagger I have known was a flatmate who enjoyed very noisy sex with her boyfriend every sunday morning. In the end, one of us had to have a word with her because it was so loud. Lots of grunting and moaning. Ick.

valiumredhead Mon 29-Jul-13 14:49:18

Murder-I snorted so loudly reading your post that ds asked me what I was reading! Err nothing dear...grin

Beeyump Mon 29-Jul-13 14:49:36

How could one not be embarrassed?? Or maybe I'm just very immature.

PipkinsPal Mon 29-Jul-13 14:50:01

I never saw just heard their bed squeaking faster and faster and then suddenly stop. My friend and I used to swop notes about hearing our parents "at it". My friend once found her Dad's mucky mags which we would look at whilst they went to Tesco on a Saturday morning shock. We were 13.

mignonette Mon 29-Jul-13 14:50:55

My sister once saw my Fathers semen floating in the toilet pan where he had failed to flush it away after a 1 on 1 session in the bathroom. She is in her twentieth year of therapy as I write wink

Beeyump Mon 29-Jul-13 14:51:57

shock mignonette

NoComet Mon 29-Jul-13 14:54:27

Im also certain my parents have heard DH and me, although not as clearly due to the layout of the rooms.

Not much point in pretending as DM *knew DH and I had shared a bed from our very first date. (Actually we had no condoms and didnt have sex until our second).

*My DM is no fool and asked if my sleeping bag needed washing, knowing I wouldn't lie as it was pita to dry.

Thinking back she did this deliberately, she didn't was sleeping bags everytime. Quietly very devious, my DM.

BinarySolo Mon 29-Jul-13 14:55:16

I've walked in on my parents a couple of times an heard them. I'm not scarred by it but don't really wish to dwell on it either!

My dad also sleeps naked so I've often seen more of him than I wanted. He used to wear a dressing gown before bed and it was quite short. Can still remember my brother and I cringing as he knelt down to programme the video displaying his meat and 2 veg in the process. Urgh, I envy people with pajama wearing fathers.

valium grin That'd take some explaining..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now