Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To pray that smug mothers of little girls are ...

(301 Posts)
ReallyTired England Sun 28-Jul-13 23:22:34

....sent a beautiful bouncing baby boy torando as their second child.

Those of us with two children realise that nature has a huge affect on a child's personality and ablity to behave.

I have two children and both of them are lovely now. However my son was permamently on the move as a two year old and we used to call him captain chaos. He was the sort of kid who would be into every cupboard, had the wooden spoon in the baby olympics or baby ivory league. (ie he had no desire to read Pride and Prejudice at the age of 2)

My daughter has a very different temperment. She is far more compliant, loves drawing jigsaws and isn't a muck magnet. I am sure that if she had been my first I would have been unbearably smug.

Boys take longer to grow up and my son at the age of eleven is lovely most of the time. He is still a muck magnet, but he has plenty of friends and doing well at school.

squoosh Sun 28-Jul-13 23:34:09

Another baby boy v baby girl thread.

BreasticlesNTesticles Sun 28-Jul-13 23:34:11

I have 2 girls who are neither placid or easy going. Can we swap Capitola?

HopHopHopSkip Sun 28-Jul-13 23:35:17

(by rudeness, I mean cheekiness/tantrums, rudeness was a strange way to word it - think I need some sleep!)

IThinkOfHappyWhenIThinkOfYou Sun 28-Jul-13 23:35:21

I have both and I don't know what you're talking about. Of course nature has an effect but 'those of us with 4 2 children' realise that gender doesn't. I bet ds1 read for six hours today. (not P&P, he's in a Noel Streatfeild phase). dd2 lost a shoe in a tree. It got stuck so she took it off and left it.

I lovelovelove "ivory league".

CtR, mother of 3 gungho girls and a rusk averse boy.

Has someone insulted your dc? I'm not sure what your op means.

Risk, ffs.

He lives rusks.

hmm

thebody Sun 28-Jul-13 23:36:55

op if you have a smug parenting friend that is inspiring this thread just ignore the daft mare.

Risk, ffs.

He loves rusks.

hmm

Tweasels Sun 28-Jul-13 23:38:20

Chaos grin

May I be the first to say YANBU? Dd has always been harder work than Ds but as a toddler she definitely had that serene thing going on and friends who had boys used to say, 'You wait! You just wait!' Then we had Ds, who is remarkably self-controlled and not your 'text book fractional' boy, but he is more physical, more outdoorsy and, no, he could never exude serenity the way dd did.

All of the above is purely my experience and the op's comments chimed with that. Quite happy, though, to accept that other families have different experiences, so perhaps I should modify my reply to, 'Yanbu in my experience, but who's to say?'

DumSpiroSpero Sun 28-Jul-13 23:40:33

I'm sure all the smug mothers of girls on MN who didn't have the option of a second child - be it a boy or girl - will be thrilled with your assessment OP.

angry hmm biscuit

Salmotrutta Sun 28-Jul-13 23:41:37

That's nice OP.

I didnt realise any of that until you pointed it out.

Salmotrutta Sun 28-Jul-13 23:42:32

I love rusks too.

And risks.

It's all good.

Rusks are nice to smoosh and nibble. Like a macaroon bar. Yum.

intheshed Sun 28-Jul-13 23:46:41

OH FGS What's with all the mother-of-girls bashing on here lately???? I have girls, I am not smug.

<considers starting a thread about paranoid and defensive mothers of boys...>

TheProsAndConsOfHitchhiking Sun 28-Jul-13 23:47:55

I guess you are ReallyTired ReallyPissed op? hmm

Secretswitch Sun 28-Jul-13 23:48:21

YABU. I have a 5 year old dd. she could make a nun curse. She has an unfortunate predilection for puddles and often rubs mud in her hair. She ran by me earlier this evening shrieking "BOOYAKAHJAH!" and whacked me with kitchen roll her sword..
I am having kittens in my next life..

MCos Sun 28-Jul-13 23:49:38

My DD1 was oh so calm and easy until she hit 10. That's ancient history this past year! and will continue for next 5 or so years...

DD2 is just 22 months behind her. I wouldn't change her for a boy for anything! But I think teenage years with 2 DDs will balance out all the 'easy' baby/toddler years I had!

5madthings Sun 28-Jul-13 23:50:16

intheshed I think everyone on the thread has disagreed with the op smile

Kids are who they are, unfortunately the socialization of gender roles still plays a large part in influencing them as they get older, but they are who they are with their own personalities. My dd is just as lively as my four boys, in fact more lively than some if them.

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

thebody Sun 28-Jul-13 23:51:20

secret, love the sound of your kick ass dd.

jacks365 France Sun 28-Jul-13 23:53:00

Dd4 at 21 months is a muck magnet, full of energy and believes sitting and playing nicely is pointless when she can run around instead or try to dismantle everything. No interest in dolls she'd rather play with cars.

Children are children and all different

Wbdn28 Sun 28-Jul-13 23:53:32

biscuit

Baby IVORY league grin

What I think you meant, OP, is smug mothers of placid, acquiescent children. Dd was never one of those hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now