Tomorrow we embark on a 3500 mile round road trip with 4 DC - AIBU to say that I don't want to go now?

(49 Posts)
IMustBeLoopy Sun 28-Jul-13 09:04:44

It was a good idea in theory, now I can't face it! We can't afford a 'proper' holiday with planes and hotels so will be driving and staying at Europecamp, hostels and relatives.

5 weeks on the road with 4 DC aged from 3 (still potty training) to 16 (absolute nightmare). We are travelling through Europe from Calais to Greece stopping off at various destinations on the way. I had looked forward to us bonding as we cannot escape each other in the car! and seeing new scenery. Today I have the jitters about it. The sheer exhaustingness of being alert and on call constantly. The utter nightmare of packing (which I have not yet started).

We have done similar before btw (road trip across Canada/US with 3DC and a similar European trip last year with a then 2 year old hmm). Maybe that is what has put me off. It was haaarrrddd.

I have a headache just thinking about it.

Angelfootprints Sun 28-Jul-13 11:05:49

Another one who doesnt understand how 5 weeks with all that petrol, food, accommodation, laundry bills, tourist attraction costs etc could be cheaper than a one week package?

ssd Sun 28-Jul-13 11:08:17

so how much is this costing op?

Iaintdunnuffink Sun 28-Jul-13 11:18:35

I can see why you are feeling daunted. Hope you have a good time, it sounds great smile if tiring.

We go for 3 to 4 weeks every year, staying in a mixture of accomodation.

marriedinwhiteisback Sun 28-Jul-13 11:22:47

3500 isn't that bad when spread over five weeks. We do a round trip over three weeks of 1500 (and probably another 500 there) to the South of France and back (oh and that doesn't include the UK miles to the airport). You will have lots of breaks in lots of places - breathe and enjoy.

marriedinwhiteisback Sun 28-Jul-13 11:23:03

UK miles to the port.

Iaintdunnuffink Sun 28-Jul-13 11:34:27

If you have a car the you may have access to a greater variety of accommodation to shop around. We've paid less than £200 for a week in a Eurocamp style place, with all the nice pools and facilities we wanted, in the school summer holidays. If we'd gone to one that was suitable for a fly drive the prices would have rocketed.

This year the costs of tolls, petrol, 24 hour ferry with one of the top cabins, nice hotels, cheap hotels, Eurocamp type place, family is less than £1500. That's not including food but we eat quite cheaply. Maybe we could get a weeks package holiday for less but for 3 weeks its very good value.

WilsonFrickett Sun 28-Jul-13 11:42:43

Is this a actually a stealth boast? Because a five week trip sounds like a proper holiday to me hmm

shaggyrogers Sun 28-Jul-13 12:35:50

a five week trip sounds like a proper holiday to me - sounds like a complete nightmare to me!

greenfolder Sun 28-Jul-13 12:48:32

One can only assume that if you did it last year, and have agreed to go this year you will enjoy it.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 28-Jul-13 12:50:52

When DD was 6 we had to travel from Barcelona to Paris by car in a single day - 11 hours in the car with 3 - 20 minute stops. As we had already come overland from Oman we had none of our usual long journey equipment apart from the Nintendo DS which she play with for all of about 30mins. Many many games of Eye spy and the Parsons Cat we survived and actually it has given me an appetite for these kind of adventures. Since then we have traveled to Amsterdam by train and in December DD and I are off on a train adventure to Paris, then on to Munich and finally Salzburg.
I am already planning a bigger adventure in a few years doing inter railling as I have never done it.
You will be stopping far more often than we did and I imagine shorter journeys each day - you will be fine.

squeakytoy Sun 28-Jul-13 12:53:14

I cant see how this is a cheaper option than a "proper holiday" either..

diddl Sun 28-Jul-13 13:04:41

Probably depends on how you've split it all up.

Otherwise it might not be fun/restful for the drivers or the passengers!

Don't see how it's a cheap holiday, though!

<Have a feeling I've been sucked into a stealth boast.>

Sounds fucking horrible! A potty training child in a car for hours on end? Everything will be covered in piss by end of day 3. What possessed you?

Solopower1 Sun 28-Jul-13 13:15:50

You are amazing! You'll be giving your kids some very precious memories, not to mention the bonding, the experiences, etc.

What OhMerGerd said. My mother used to bundle all four of us (from aged 2 - 10 for 6 years) into an old VW caravette and off we'd go, camping in France. Great memories.

But back to you. Try to commit to the adventure. Take the packing a step at a time (+ lists etc). Try to get kids involved in every stage (if not too exhausting). If it is, do it when they are in bed. Try to get 16-year-old on side (bribery?)

While on holiday do as much as poss to make it as easy as poss for YOU! Frequent breaks. Be flexible. Be realistic about when you can arrive at places.

But you've done it before and so have your kids, and they are a year older and easier. It will be fun!

Tell us about it when you get back. smile

BellaVita Sun 28-Jul-13 13:18:01

Am sure it will be fine rather you than me

EmmaBemma Sun 28-Jul-13 13:18:13

I'm torn between jealousy and concern! But really, I think you'll have a great time - though if you're anything like our family there will doubtless be at least one calamity, IMO it's not a proper holiday if there isn't.

BellaVita Sun 28-Jul-13 13:21:12

Although when I was five I went with my mum, DB (who was 2.5 then), grandparents and my uncle (who is only 18 months older than me) so six of us in a car (43 years ago) to Italy through France and Switzerland to see family and we toured around.

Cerisier Sun 28-Jul-13 13:21:28

What were you thinking? It sounds like madness.

LilacPeony Sun 28-Jul-13 13:25:39

We used to drive to Wales from London as kids. It felt like it took all day to get there and although we liked Wales when we got there, we hated the journey. I wouldn't mind it as an adult, but i found it incredibly tedious as a child, so your road trip wouldn't be my thing at all, especially with a potty training toddler.

VitoCorleone Sun 28-Jul-13 13:32:00

Dont think id like to do it with small kids.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 28-Jul-13 13:32:50

I've been thinking of driving to Croatia but it would cost a fortune in fuel!

Alertmind Sun 28-Jul-13 13:38:47

If you haven't starting packing yet and you're off tommorrow then, yes, I think you are unsuited to this type of trip! I would take drastic action get out of it - sounds nightmarish.

forevergreek Sun 28-Jul-13 13:55:55

We do this lots, it's great, but it's never the ' cheap option'. By the time you pay European road tax, insurance abroad, extra things for car as required in other countries, road tolls, petrol etc it really is cheaper to fly 95% time.

Recent flights of ours:
Venice - £95 each return
Barcelona - £70 each return
Paris - £105 each return
Rome - £85 return.

Say if you picked Barcelona. £70 x5 = £350 for flights. Then add self catering apartment and food say £1000 for week. That's less that £1500 for a holiday for 5, including sun/ city/ beach/ depending on preference.
It's impossible to drive and stay in Europe for 5 weeks on that budget.

A direct drive from London to Dubrovnik, croatia is approx 1300 miles. It cost us approx £450 one way in petrol on average car. So basic £1000 just in petrol alone.

forevergreek Sun 28-Jul-13 13:58:31

Oh and £150 a day is the min we can spend when travelling Europe on budget basic accomadation for 4 ( x2 toddlers who often bed share with us, so a lot more rooms needed for teens I assume), and food/ entertainment. ( remember you pretty much have to eat out as hotels have little in the way of kitchens if any)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now