Went ghetto at Disney. A naice middle class girl...

(197 Posts)
PinotInAPinch Sun 28-Jul-13 07:18:50

like me. The shame. Spent just one (just one!) day at Disney on holidays in Florida recently - and still wasn't able to keep my "hold my earrings, kids" rage under wraps sad Last excitement of the day was a (actually v cool) live stunt show. Kids hyper, all excited, chatting to other kids around them on the bleachers we were sitting on. My DS (8) nattering to kid slightly in front of him, then v politely asked his mum if he'd swap with him (as in her son) as he couldn't really see the whole thing. She turned around, hmm'd haw'd, and v pointedly told him - without knowing my DH was listening - that yes, "I will move, but only because it's better for my son, and for you. Just so you know." And - and I swear I'm not usually this ragey but it's a long humid fucking day - and I did a full hand on hip, dramatic "UP KIDS, sit over here" glare, she gives me a "huh?!" (Imagine hand/hip firmness, perhaps a finger point yikes) "Well, it's MUCH better for them at this end isn't it?!! and we all KNOW you know all about that." DH thinks I was AIBU...

PinotInAPinch Sun 28-Jul-13 08:00:49

Branleuse It's ok. I didn't make such sense in the first part, and as me ol dad always said "when you're in a hole stop digging" smile

Jinty64 Sun 28-Jul-13 08:04:38

Have you been drinking?

TwasBrillig Sun 28-Jul-13 08:10:35

How was her agreeing to move not being nice? No reason she should and yet she still did. Very odd.

RobinSparkles Sun 28-Jul-13 08:10:43

S'ok, OP. Disney does give you "The Rage". It's the heat and the crowds and the never ending queues.

FannyMcNally Sun 28-Jul-13 08:11:48

So she thinks about your son's request and realises her son might possibly have a better view if she swaps seats with him, tells your son that she's moving because both of them will benefit (because why should she move if her son will have a poorer view) . All good so far. At that point a 'thank you' from you would have been the correct response. Not sure why you saw red.

Reality Sun 28-Jul-13 08:11:54

I have no idea what's going on.

NutcrackerFairy Sun 28-Jul-13 08:13:25

Sorry, I think actually your son sounds a bit precocious...

Does he normally ask complete strangers to do things for him rather than telling you he can't see and asking you to do something about it? Why should this woman move away from her own child and swap seats with yours? Sounds like she got the hump with him... is it possible that he wasn't being polite but rather a bit forward and demanding?

Tbh both you and your son sound a bit entitled to me....

And your OP makes very little sense.

Sheshelob Sun 28-Jul-13 08:15:15

"Ghetto"? confused

FuzzyWuzzywasaWoman Sun 28-Jul-13 08:18:40

So what happened to your earrings?

<baffled by the whole thing>

Vivacia Sun 28-Jul-13 08:20:20

I'm starting to understand the seating thing (thanks to Fanny and Nutcracker). But, what's the "Ghetto" reference?

aladdinsane Sun 28-Jul-13 08:22:18

I agree with your DH - a big fuss about nothing
your child asks a stranger to move so he can see the show - so he was pretty rude
She agrees and you dont like her tone so you go off on one
Big fuss about nothing really. She may always talk like that and she did agree to move for your son

Crumbledwalnuts Sun 28-Jul-13 08:22:58

Nutcracker got it wrong. The boy didn't ask the mum to swap seats with him. He asked the boy and the mum to swap seats.

Snazzyenjoyingsummer Sun 28-Jul-13 08:24:49

Couldn't you have swapped seats with your DS and done it that way?

Crumbledwalnuts Sun 28-Jul-13 08:25:39

God Pinot why do I not have any problem understanding any of it, except that you missed out an S here. v politely asked his mum if he'd swap with him

on the other hand it's possible I understand not all of it but none of it at all

Growlithe Sun 28-Jul-13 08:27:26

So the mum and the boy were going to swap seats with all of the OPs family? confused

diddl Sun 28-Jul-13 08:27:54

Could your son have swapped with one of his own parents??

I'd have thought what a cheeky little sod tbh.

And not done it.

I expect she felt guilted into it because a child asked her.

PinotInAPinch Sun 28-Jul-13 08:32:20

OK, sorry to explain again - my DS asked her if the mum and her son would swap places with each other. They were sitting in front of the designated seating row, for say, wheelchair patons etc, which wasn't occupied. So my son asked her if she and her son would swap over with each other - he didn't want her seat fyi - so he would sit behind her son and not her, and get a better view. He and her son had been chatting for a while, having a laugh and I guess he thought that was ok. I would normally expect him to ask us if that was ok first. I get that it might seem he was being rude, or entitled. He's actually a dote, just so very excited by this show and he - honestly- politely asked if she wouldn't mind swapping round with her son, same seats, same row, so he could see all the action. He said thank you when she did swap, and I know I was the one who over reacted. It wasn't my finest moment. It wasn't hers either. (Hope this makes way more sense than the Pinot soaked first post!?!)

PinotInAPinch Sun 28-Jul-13 08:36:17

She from swapped with her own son. If I haven't managed to explain that coherently yet, I have to hand back my BA in English, Pinot or no sad

diddl Sun 28-Jul-13 08:36:37

I don't think that there was anything wrong with her reaction.

She moved, but told him she thought he was rude.

Perhaps she shouldn't have moved at all?

Oh hang on, she needed have moved because you strangely huffed off!

NewAtThisMalarky Sun 28-Jul-13 08:40:54

I'm not sure it's obvious that she was much taller than her son. My son is taller than me.

Aside from that, I think your DH is right.

coco87 Sun 28-Jul-13 08:41:51

Why can't you just write it normally. You sound like you are drunk.

PinotInAPinch Sun 28-Jul-13 08:42:30

Hands crumbled my BA

PinotInAPinch Sun 28-Jul-13 08:43:59

Just Irish coco87

Growlithe Sun 28-Jul-13 08:45:05

Hope you don't mind a little bit of advice. You've spent a lot of money to get to Florida. I can see Disney isn't everyone's cup of tea, but your son seems to be really excited and enjoying himself, even chatting with the children round him. The shows there are really cool, the fireworks are amazing.

I'd try and keep a lid on your own feelings about the place and try to enjoy it for the sake of your DCs if I were you, or there was no point in going there to start of with.

fakebook Sun 28-Jul-13 08:46:38

But she still swapped... confused. Did you want her to do it ceremoniously with a garland of flowers and a hula dance for your son as she swapped seats and then kiss his feet at the end?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now