To not care about rain on my washing?

(60 Posts)
grobagsforever Sat 27-Jul-13 19:17:22

Obviously following on from neighbour thread. I don't understand the MN horror at letting washing get wet in rain, then leaving it until it is dry and then getting it in and wearing it. It's just rain FFS! There are far, far more germs and dirt on your keyboards/mobile phones etc.

Also I don't iron, do maintenance washes or own a peg bag. I'm pretty sure my clothes are clean and I don't smell.

PuppyMonkey Sat 03-Aug-13 17:05:52

I was also brought up to be upset about letting washing get wet in the rain. I can't help it.blush

We have a little porch at back door, entirely covered, and we have a washing line contraption in it, so we usually hang stuff to dry in there now if it looks showery. No more worrying about rain. Plus I can leave it hanging in there for days without thinking I've got to rush back and take it down.

Runningchick123 Sat 03-Aug-13 16:54:15

I admit to being a bit obsessive about my washing getting wet n the rain, so I always check the weather forecast and if it says it is likely to rain then I use the airers indoors instead. If I am at home and its raining then I go out and bring my washing in and finish drying it on the airers
I think whether people mind their washing getting wet or not is an individual thing, although, having previously lived in the inner city and seeing the colour of my car after some spells of rain I can't help but think that air pollutants can gather in the rain and coat surfaces when the air quality is bad.
I don't own a peg bag though,I have a peg basket instead grin and husband is in charge of the ironing so I don't need a schedule for thatgrin.

Nirvana79 Sat 03-Aug-13 16:41:25

I just hung a washing out, it's raining. There is also a force 10 gale blowing so it'll probably dry despite the rain.

Eldestoffive Sat 03-Aug-13 16:38:19

I don't iron, don't use fabric conditioner, never maintenance wash, and actually went away for a week and left washing both in the machine and on the line! Can I be in the club?

countrymummy13 Sun 28-Jul-13 22:32:28

I had no idea some (odd) people had a issue with rain on clothes! I will quite often leave mine out to dry off again. (but I do have a very pretty Cath Kidston peg bag!)

Anyway, lets not forget where tap water has been (through the sewers!!)

kezLOU1977 Sun 28-Jul-13 20:53:04

I am forever leaving my washing on the line if it rains as I am the worst for judging the weather and the weather report on my phone isn't always right, I don't rewash them either and only iron things as and when it's needed much to my mothers disgust! I also leave my pegs on the line but as long as I put them in the first groove I can push them up and down the line easily enough. I don't have the time to mess about with the washing and even my mum will admit we all look and smell lovely ;)

Lweji Sun 28-Jul-13 20:43:43

The tumble dryer uses up electricity, which in many places is not particularly green.

The clothes line is more environmentally friendly. And a lot cheaper. grin

Lweji Sun 28-Jul-13 20:41:06

I don't mind the rain itself.

But the clothes getting wet again means I have to use the drier, or wait another day to get them properly dry again.

Outinthegarden Sun 28-Jul-13 20:08:48

My sister says 'as long as it's drier when you get it in then when you put it out, it doesn't matter what happens when it's on the line'. I follow this! Unless the rain is really heavy and splashes mud on the clothes.

ToysRLuv Sun 28-Jul-13 18:53:40

I don't mind rain either. But when the washing's nearly dried and been rained on more than 2 times it starts to go musty and sort of moldy. So, I try and let it get rained on only once..

ShadowMeltingInTheSun Sun 28-Jul-13 18:33:37

YANBU. Not bothered by my washing getting wet. The rain round here seems to be pretty clean, and does not make my washing smelly.

AwwCrumpets Sun 28-Jul-13 18:18:45

I get the rage if iv just put a washing out and it rains or that my washing is almost dry and them it pours a days worth of rain in the two minutes it takes for me to get outside angry.

I mostly like to do my washing as early as possible if the day looks promising just incase it turns.

littlewhitebag Sat 27-Jul-13 21:04:43

It's nothing to do with i smelling, i just get cross when i know my washing would have been dry and now it is wet. Then i have to take it in and hang it up/tumble dry it.

grobagsforever Sat 27-Jul-13 20:46:54

Oh good. I am not a complete slattern. Thanks!

WoTmania Sat 27-Jul-13 20:13:42

YANBU - I also don't care about my washing be rained on (tight this minute) forecast is for no rain after midnight. It'll be dry in the morning.

fakebook Sat 27-Jul-13 20:10:49

Yes BaldricksTurnip, I do! I got into the habit after getting my tumble drier last year. If I don't keep on top of it, I end up with piles of clothes in my living room and kitchen. Wash, dry, fold, put away. Takes 20 mins, then repeat with the next load.

AudrinaAdare Sat 27-Jul-13 20:07:06

Just me and Fakebook with the schedule so far then...

thebody Sat 27-Jul-13 19:59:59

agree socks but don't care!! hard like that me.

thebody Sat 27-Jul-13 19:59:18

pissing it down in West Midlands!!

usualsuspect Sat 27-Jul-13 19:56:04

I rarely use my tumble drier. It shrinks things.

Socks go in adult size and come out child sized.

usualsuspect Sat 27-Jul-13 19:54:11

Pissing it down in the east midlands.

mrstigs Sat 27-Jul-13 19:51:14

I just rushed to get the just washed nappies pegged outside BECAUSE it was going to rain. Free extra rinse. grin Yep, I really am that tight.
But no, I don't bring them in if it's raining, unless they are dry or nearly dry.

WaitMonkey Sat 27-Jul-13 19:51:12

Where abouts is it raining ? We have clouds but no rain yet. sad

CircassianLeyla Sat 27-Jul-13 19:51:02

Mine is currently getting soaked. Will take it in once it has dried again.

imnotmymum Sat 27-Jul-13 19:48:58

Oh you put your washer on random wash thing when you have no washing and feel like a domestic goddess. Cleans your drum

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now