Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To take neighbours washing down

(171 Posts)
FrussoHathor Sat 27-Jul-13 15:02:00

Just took my washing in as clouds looked threatening. Got mine in and the heavens opened.

Neighbours have washing out. And gone out for day.

I have access to their garden (fire escape route) so I took their washing down, into one of my tubs, and pinned a large bag over the top and left by their door.

Is this acceptable? It is tipping it down out there now.

Would you be annoyed if it was your washing? We're not really on speaking terms. confused

zatyaballerina Mon 29-Jul-13 00:01:03

I would hate if a neighbour did that tbh, none of ours can see into our garden (high fences and trees) but if they could and invaded my privacy like that I would feel extremely uncomfortable no matter how good their intentions. I don't want people in my space, touching my stuff, end of. I'd think anyone who did that as being very interfering and a bit creepy.

Maggietess Mon 29-Jul-13 00:19:05

revealall finds curlew a bit creepy apparently.... For taking in washing...
Where's the DAILY mail so I can complain "the world's gone mad'

ladymariner Mon 29-Jul-13 01:36:38

revealall how is taking someone's washing in being 'needy'? I really cannot understand this at all.
Op, it was a kind thing you did, the neighbour thanked you as most normal folk would , now carry on with your life. Leave the over thinking to those who seemingly enjoy it and join the rest of us in getting on with things whilst looking out for other people in the process smile

justanuthermanicmumsday Mon 29-Jul-13 01:56:34

I'd be grateful but id be embarrassed if my lingerie was out there, since i do hide it on the lower lines ( rotary line). underwear aside its a very kind thoughtful gesture wht a wonderful neighbour you are.

I had one super neighbour. He would put my washing out when I was heavily pregnant, hed see me struggling with basket waddle waddle.

Garden was also full of weeds and huge the landlord refused to turf or slab it up. So come summer it was a nightmare I'd do what I could but i was pregnant and husband was a.ways working. One day i saw my neighbour digging weeds out for me on a humid summers day. and this was a long garden. I had to go out and tell him to stop but he insisted. I miss that neighbour new ones we hardly see, i don't even know their names.

Are you serious poster suggesting ironing would be am issue, surely if the items are soggy through and through ironing is irrelevant lool

Jux Mon 29-Jul-13 02:45:58

Tbh, I'd hate it, but would assume thst it was kindly meant and would be genuinely grateful to you. I had assumed that I was the only person happy to let washing get wet in the rain and then dry again. Compounded by the physical diffi ulty I have lugging a basket of wet washing outside and keeping my arms up above my head in order to peg it up.

I would actually thank you for thinking so kindly, but I would also babble about why I would normally just leave it there.

FrussoHathor Mon 29-Jul-13 07:18:36

Can I reassure you that I do not not look after number one and that I play a very proactive (and understated) role in my community
head of neighbourhood watch perhaps? hmm

Joking aside, i am grateful that my neighbour was okay about it, and took the gesture in the good will that it was intended.

I'm now off to find some barbwire topped fences to clamber over to inspect the makes of pants, and perhaps move a few garden gnomes about. wink

Morloth Mon 29-Jul-13 07:29:33

I think that is a pretty normal and considerate thing to do OP.

My neighbour brings my bins down my drive for me if they are out late.

They collect the junk mail from around our letterbox if it gets messed up.

If they have the hedgetrimmer out they run it over our hedge as well.

Much the same as if I am weeding, I go a bit further along and do 'their' bit as well. Or grab their mail if it is teeming down and I know they are out (it would appear impossible to buy a waterproof letter box in Oz).

Our firey neighbours were clearing branches on their property the other day and he stuck his head over to ask if I wanted any done, then jumped the fence with the chainsaw (in hand! eep) to do so.

Is all part of normal neighbourly interaction, we don't actually have that much to do with each other on a social basis, but hey, little things make life nice.

The 'neighbours' mentioned above are not all the same household, just the houses that are directly next door or around me.

lazydog Mon 29-Jul-13 07:54:42

Well I'm someone who never irons and personally would have much rather you'd left everything to get rained on and I finally bring it in 2 days later than you'd chucked it, to get creased, into a laundry basket.... BUT I'm also totally aware that no-one would have done what you did with anything but kind intentions.

Peachyjustpeachy Mon 29-Jul-13 07:56:28

OP you are very thoughtful... i'd be pleased.

deepfriedsage Mon 29-Jul-13 09:59:08

Even people who would seethe inside at the ironing you created and wish you left it alone, realise you had good intentions and would thank you.

deepfriedsage Mon 29-Jul-13 10:02:43

Due to your sarcastic comments and nit picking at anyone who doesn't think you are wonderful, I am changing my mind, YABU and now I can see why someone earlier accused you of being needy.

FrussoHathor Mon 29-Jul-13 11:40:16

Oh so deepfried 2 saracastic comments, and a couple of lighthearted ones, because this thread should have died at least 48 hours ago and I'm needy?
And can you quote where I was nit picking, because I fail to see that I have. except perhap this one

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 29-Jul-13 11:50:25

Frusso, am currently sat watching my washing getting rained on. If you are my neighbour please come and get it in for me wink

Seriously, before posting on here, I would never have thought getting a neighbour's washing in would result in anything but a thank you. I live and learn.

MissTweed Mon 29-Jul-13 11:54:19

To me it depends on how close you were. If I lived next to one of my close friends then yes definitely but I certainly wouldn't do it for a neighbour especially as you say you are not on talking terms at the mo. if my neighbour did this to me I would feel slightly violated, especially if I had underwear etc hanging up. Even though I know that they meant well I would rather if had wet washing. I know I'm in the minority and everyone's different but that's just me :D

FrussoHathor Mon 29-Jul-13 12:18:57

New question to throw into the ball pit...

if you let your washing get wet, do you wash it again or not?
and if you wash it again, do you live on the coast?

ChippingInHopHopHop Mon 29-Jul-13 12:37:48

No - I don't wash it again. It's fresh water, just another rinse cycle smile

(Why do you ask about being on the coast? I was the same when I did live on the coast. <Which I miss <<SOB>>>)

janey68 Mon 29-Jul-13 12:46:24

This may have already been mentioned as its a long thread, but this is one of those scenarios where the best thing is to leave the washing , but ask what the neighbour would wish you to do in future

In our old house, I was on maternity leave one spring so home a lot, while our neighbours with teenage kids were busy at work and school. We has typical spring weather for weeks- blustery and great for drying but showers now and then. They had a big family and washing out most days so I just asked whether, since I was around during the day, they wanted me to bring it in if rain looked imminent. They were fine and very grateful . But I wouldn't have just done it without asking; it's a little intrusive to assume that teenage sons and daughters will be ok with a neighbour handling their undies

FrussoHathor Mon 29-Jul-13 12:49:11

chipping only because I'm on the coast, and would wash it again due to the salt.

MiaowTheCat Mon 29-Jul-13 13:06:07

I'd be grateful but inwardly a bit cringey about my pants being on the line. I'm funny I'll admit - I really don't like other people touching my underwear (apart from DH obviously since we have two kids!)... my mum takes it upon herself to bring my washing in when she's here and it drives me fucking nuts (but it keeps her away from reorganising my kitchen cupboards and other more irritating exploits).

Yes I dry my pants outside (like someone else mentioned - I hide them on the inner reaches of a rotary airer), but in my own garden with a 6 foot fence I tend to work on the assumption no one's going to be furtling through them really.

cjel Mon 29-Jul-13 14:30:01

Did you hear from them? were they ok?

Crinkle77 Mon 29-Jul-13 14:40:16

sounds like a nice thing to do and this may be a way that you get on speaking terms

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now