To take neighbours washing down

(171 Posts)
FrussoHathor Sat 27-Jul-13 15:02:00

Just took my washing in as clouds looked threatening. Got mine in and the heavens opened.

Neighbours have washing out. And gone out for day.

I have access to their garden (fire escape route) so I took their washing down, into one of my tubs, and pinned a large bag over the top and left by their door.

Is this acceptable? It is tipping it down out there now.

Would you be annoyed if it was your washing? We're not really on speaking terms. confused

ZillionChocolate Sat 27-Jul-13 15:44:02

I think it was kind. If they think it's overstepping the mark, then they can say "thanks, but no need in future, just let it get wet".

I'd be grateful. I wouldn't dry kinky sex gear out in the garden (or in the house, I don't have any to dry), I could handle neighbours briefly handling my clean briefs.

I'd think it was a very nice thing to do even if it meant I had to iron it all! You sound a bit grumpy deepfried sad

FrussoHathor Sat 27-Jul-13 15:49:30

Zillion I think I'd draw the line before kinky sex gear - I'd have let that get rained on. Eeeww.

Have left note.

Doingthedo Sat 27-Jul-13 15:50:57

yy about the ironing, it must be folded immediately, what if they are against ironing, like me???!!! I do not iron anything

Yonihadtoask Sat 27-Jul-13 15:51:30

I would thank you.

My previous neighbour used to take mine in . He ironed it on more than one occasion too!_

Steamedcabbage Sat 27-Jul-13 15:51:45

A neighbour used to do this for my parents if they were out for the day and he wanted to have a bonfire and they were always very grateful ...

Doingthedo Sat 27-Jul-13 15:52:02

but very thoughtful otherwise!

FruOla Sat 27-Jul-13 15:58:36

I think that's really kind of you smile

deepfriedsage Sat 27-Jul-13 16:00:52

I don't like ironing, it sublax's my wrist, hurts my back and exacerbates dysautonomia symptoms. I buy clothes that rarely need ironing and fold carefully once dry, to avoid ironing. Hence why I would not want my washing chucked in a crate all creased up.

FrussoHathor Sat 27-Jul-13 16:05:14

If I'd have folded it it would have been soaked through and pointless to take it down.
Its definitely items that would be ironed to within an inch of their life anyway.

yoni I draw the line at ironing it for them I'm afraid What if he ironed pants too?

If your own washing got soaked would you wash it again, or just leave it out til it dried? Just wondered what other people do..

curlew Sat 27-Jul-13 16:07:51

Yes of course. Mumsnet will tell you that it's a gross invasion of privacy, but it's not!

deepfriedsage Sat 27-Jul-13 16:08:39

It stays on the line till it is dry. I dry inside on an surer, if there is risk of rain.

deepfriedsage Sat 27-Jul-13 16:09:40

* airer *

Tittypulumpcious Sat 27-Jul-13 16:10:59

That's a lovely thing to do, can you be my neighbour too!

digerd Sat 27-Jul-13 16:11:23

I don't hang mine out. I have a lean to/utility and is boiling in there in summer.
I think it was very thoughtful of you but I also don't iron and hang mine up immediately to dry which they do without wrinkles.
Anything that does need ironing gets chucked out for the charity shops.

Where are you that it's pouring down?

OrangeLily Sat 27-Jul-13 16:13:41

I would be grateful and touched that you had gone to the trouble. I'd you had creased them beyond repair I would just wash them again! The world would not end grin

Although I've seen a similar thread on here where everyone told the OP that she was bonkers, that it was a huge invasion of privacy and that they couldn't bare their neighbours touching their knickers (some on that thread didn't even put their knickers outside because God forbid the neighbours realised that they wore undies hmm).

AudrinaAdare Sat 27-Jul-13 16:16:11

FrussoHathor they are all hammered as are the guests. They are determined to enjoy themselves and are now sitting out in the rain shouting and playing jungle music.

unlucky83 Sat 27-Jul-13 16:23:43

It was a kind thing to do - no one would think badly of you for doing it - even if it made them feel a bit uncomfortable...just think how would you feel if someone did it for you?
I do know how you feel now- when my old neighbour was away for a month and their gutter was overflowing so badly I thought it would come off the wall -after dithering for ages I took my ladder round to see if I could unblock it easily for them... but felt a bit awkward for it ...
We didn't take in each others washing - but did knock at the door to say it was raining...
(Neighbour on other side another matter ...but then they wouldn't do anything that wasn't in their interest)
Bit of an advertising pitch (although their website seems to be inactive) - if you have a rotary line dryer -you need to get a Rotamate -or one of the other makes (were more expensive) - a rain cover...love mine ... if it really chucks down it might get a wee bit damp and need 10 mins in tumble dryer rather than spinning again...

RatUpADrainpipe Sat 27-Jul-13 16:27:28

they might be slightly anxious about who was in their garden though.

Well, if someone came in and took my washing down in a thunderstorm, put it in a basket and covered it up, I wouldn't actually give a hell who they were!!

RatUpADrainpipe Sat 27-Jul-13 16:29:39

they couldn't bare their neighbours touching their knickers*

Hee hee - talk about a Freudian Slip !

RoseFlowerFairy Sat 27-Jul-13 16:31:52

What do you ladies do if you have stains that do not come out from your period, in your knickers? Do you put those knickers out on the line?

FrussoHathor Sat 27-Jul-13 17:11:24

rose those ones go through the tumble drier

MadBusLady Sat 27-Jul-13 17:14:57

I would think you were very nice and meant well BUT it would slightly weird me out and make me feel like (a) you are generally watching my stuff and (b) I am obliged to watch your stuff and do you similar favours. Sorry. Just like my privacy (and really not bothered about having to dry washing twice). And before anyone tells me to go and live in a detached house in the middle of a National Park - I would if I could.

Lizzabadger Sat 27-Jul-13 17:20:36

I would think it was kind and well-meant but it would weird me out having my neighbour touching my underwear. Unless we were on very close terms I would rather my washing was left to get wet - sorry.

PuppyMonkey Sat 27-Jul-13 17:27:24

Crikey if you're that particular about your precious knickers and who sees and touches them, don't hang them out on the line in full view of everyone. hmm

As for ironing, the clothes would probably get ruined in the rain anyway, so who cares about the "not being folded up correctly" problem.

Chill out people

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now