Leaving DC out in the garden...

(82 Posts)
MrsWolowitz Sat 27-Jul-13 12:51:34

DH think IABU. I think he is being irresponsible. We will go with the wisdom of MN on this as we cannot agree.

We have 3 DC. DD1 is 4 and DTs are 2. Our garden is at the back of our house and our lounge is at the front of the house.

DH leaves the DC in the garden while he sits in the lounge. I hate it when he does this and I don't do it, I think they need to be watched.

We have a paddling pool (shallow but still a possible danger), a trampoline they can fall off, a garage full of tools and paint that they can access from the garden and there's also the (unlikely) risk of someone taking the kids from the garden.

AIBU to think they shouldn't be left unattended in the garden?

possum18 Mon 29-Jul-13 01:00:25

YANBU my 2yo godson gets into all sorts of trouble even when I go for a quick wee!! I dread to think of the mayhem he could cause with a partner in crime!! Double trouble!!

sweetiepie1979 Sun 28-Jul-13 23:59:36

What's he doing watching tv mid day? Lazy sod! Can't he potter in the garden read a boon in the garden even? He's not setting a v good example. I have a 2 year old who plays in garden I'm not there constantly I'm in and out with washing and tidying etc. tell him to get of his ass.

SirBoobAlot Sun 28-Jul-13 23:27:32

DS is allowed to play in the garden by himself. But I tend to be in the room next door (very odd lay out of my bungalow, garden backs off the conservatory, which backs off my bedroom) and we don't have the paddling pool out.

He is being vvv unreasonable in the lay out you have described.

morethanpotatoprints Sun 28-Jul-13 23:13:10

I think they should be supervised and within sight of an adult.
Why doesn't he sit outside with them. Neither me nor dh would have dreamt of doing this your dh is totally unreasonable and irresponsible.

countrymummy13 Sun 28-Jul-13 23:07:08

You should NEVER EVER leave children alone with access to any kind of collected water. Not even for a few seconds. Every year children die through accidental drowning. I'm horrified you would even think of doing that.

If you intend to leave the DC in the garden then the paddling pool needs to be drained.

Aside from the pool, whether or not to leave them in the garden depends on how safe your garden is.

My DD is 3 and I've let her play in the garden on her own since 2. But only when I can see her. I've also made sure all dangers are out of harms way and that the garden is secure (she can't get out, others could get in).

I personally don't think it reasonable or responsible to leave small children in the garden out of sight.

valiumredhead Sun 28-Jul-13 22:40:43

You need to get good at multi taskinggrin

nurseneedshelp Sun 28-Jul-13 19:46:11

Valium- please don't think I'm here to judge, I've never had to work from home so no idea what that is like!

LemonBreeland Sun 28-Jul-13 19:27:31

Absolutely no way wiyh a paddling pool in the garden.

soverylucky Sun 28-Jul-13 19:21:28

I am surprised by some responses here. I wouldn't leave any child under about 8 outside with a paddling pool unsupervised. Play in the garden unsupervised - yes from quite a young age but the paddling pool is a very big issue for me.

valiumredhead Sun 28-Jul-13 19:21:17

Nurse-my Dh is working out in the garden on his lap top while ds plays basket ball. Better then being holed up in his office surely?

nurseneedshelp Sun 28-Jul-13 19:15:51

Can't folk get a away from their laptops for a little while and actually play with their kids on the garden?

Unbelievable that people need to set up in summer houses/run cables onto their patios!

rainbowbrite1980 Sun 28-Jul-13 11:09:10

I am pretty relaxed, and I do leave my DC's in the garden. They are 5, 3 and 1. I stay in the kitchen where I can see them if the one year old is out there, but not the other 2. I wouldn't leave the one year old out there with a paddling pool, but the other 2 are definitely sensible enough.

mrsjay Sun 28-Jul-13 10:41:49

I think lljkk has it spot on little 2 yr old twins on their own could be a disaster waiting to happen the parents I know with twins need about 4 pairs of eyes grin

VikingLady Sun 28-Jul-13 10:34:57

I moved a laptop table to just by the back door so I can MN work whilst keeping an eye on DD (16m). It means I can run the power cable through the kitchen window, out of the way. Perhaps your DH could do that?

hollyisalovelyname Sun 28-Jul-13 09:58:43

Paddling pool... unsupervised children.... Is he mad?

lougle Sun 28-Jul-13 09:47:36

We leave the children (7, 5, 4) in the paddling pool, but we set it up directly outside the lounge window and if the duck out of sight I call out to them. No response sees me running.

lljkk Sun 28-Jul-13 09:17:56

I think the pool & twin factor complicates things a lot, the twin parents speak with superior experience to us. I am not parent to twins but there are loads in my family & the stories about stuff they got up to, like 4 armed monsters, really.

NotYoMomma Sun 28-Jul-13 09:16:02

at those ages no way. I will leave dd (18mo) in the garden with her 10 year old cousin and no pool! for 5 mins! and I'll be secretly watching from the kitchen window lol

Oblomov Sun 28-Jul-13 09:13:31

Am wondering about all these people that never leave their kids unsupervised? I did and I do.
Not witha paddling pool, obviously. But many seemed shocked at him leaving them .
I cook hover and all sorts. My lounge, dinning room, kitchen , patio doors to garden, are all perfectly safe. And the worst my 2 have ever done , was a crayon mosaic on the wall, that Mozart would have been proud of. To which, I yelped and then yelled.
Why do they need to be watched? What harm is going to come to them.
Maybe your hour houses are unsafe and yours need to be constantly monitored.
But mine ( house and dc's ) aren't !!

MiaowTheCat Sun 28-Jul-13 09:08:34

The garden supervision thing is the reason we put a summerhouse with a cane sofa in there out in the garden. Means if needs be we CAN sit out and supervise with a laptop on the wifi network and watch TV or whatever in a bit more comfort than the average garden chair.

If we ever get the bloody patio doors fixed so they open properly we have that option as well.

But nope I wouldn't leave a pair of 2 year olds to play unsupervised anyway - the ability of small children to find new and interesting ways to injure themselves never ceases to amaze.

nurseneedshelp Sun 28-Jul-13 08:59:18

I'm so so glad he's seen sense op!

We sadly deal with about three toddler drownings each summer, paddling pool or ponds. Mostly fatal.
It's difficult to watch their every move when the back door is left open all the time when its so hot.

it's the worse part of my job and I can't wait to get home to snuggle up to my own DC after I've dealt with a child's death.

Glad he's listened to you!

YANBU due to the paddling pool.
If that was not there and the garden was childproofed and escape proof I'd be happy to leave them unattended for short periods of time.

mrsjay Sat 27-Jul-13 17:30:57

I wouldnt leave the twins for any length of time tbh you are right they should be watched not constantly though but going back and forward should be enough and empty the paddiling pool unless you are there it really is irresponsible to leave them unattended, I am sure your DH thinks they are safe but a look outside every so often wouldnt hurt him, IMO the 4 yr old is fine playing out

Summerblaze Sat 27-Jul-13 17:29:47

Trampoline should have a guard around it anyway.
Garage should be locked.

I would still supervise at 2yo with these security measures in place but wouldn't be overly concerned if others chose not to.

The pool is a definite no no though. My 5yo was dunking my 1 yo under the other day. Obviously I was there to stop him but if I wasn't then who knows what would have happened.

I am very conscious about water.

GherkinsAreAce Sat 27-Jul-13 17:29:08

Very sad to hear nurses story and yours, moomin sad

Another point is the risk from poisoning - my DS would happily chew all kinds of leaves, flowers or berries and this is why I have to keep him with me in the garden!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now