to be pissed off that everyone is saying I will "need to move house"?

(84 Posts)
MortifiedAdams Fri 26-Jul-13 22:32:07

We have just informed the family that we are expecting a second baby. The first things out of, without a doubt, each of their mouths has been about us needing to.move.

We live in a two bed ground floor victorian terraced flat. The rooms are, pardon, fucking huge. The children will be two years apart so will share a room,.and probably the most.of their toys.

So.whh why why do.people need to question it? With actual serious concerned faces? My friend has a newbuild three bed which, while.it is nice, is smaller, square footage wise.

It might be the hormones but I would just like a grin and a "congratulations". FFS my Dad is scpurong the net looking for 'reasonable' three beds....like.we are in some.sort of emergency situation. I love my flat!

mummy1973 Fri 26-Jul-13 23:04:54

congrats. UANBU. Sounds lovely.

LilacPeony Fri 26-Jul-13 23:05:06

My mum had three sisters and they used to share a room with 2 bunk beds. grin

LilacPeony Fri 26-Jul-13 23:05:39

Her brother had a box room on his own like some sort of king! grin

dietcokeandwine Fri 26-Jul-13 23:08:09

Congratulations OP. And your flat sounds flipping lovely.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Fri 26-Jul-13 23:09:51

Congratulations!
You are right, it is a rude comment for people to make. It is passing judgment on your living arrangements (which sound perfectly adequate anyway!).

MrsGSR Fri 26-Jul-13 23:10:38

I know this doesn't apply to you, but from what I've read under the 'Bedroom tax' legislation 2 children are expected to share a bedroom up to the age of 10, regardless of sex, and up to 16 if they are the same sex. So you are definitely not being unreasonable to expect 2 kids to share!

SaucyJack Fri 26-Jul-13 23:21:24

Congrats smile

I'd bite anyone's hand off for a three bed meself, even if the rooms were half the size. My second dd went in with dd1 around six years ago, and noone's had a decent nightis sleep since.....

Do whatever suits you tho.

Harrin Fri 26-Jul-13 23:24:18

I grew up sharing a room as there are 11 of us and it was fine. In fact my parents still have 7 dc under 16 living at home now, 4 girls in one room and 3 boys in another and they HATE it smile

123rd Fri 26-Jul-13 23:44:01

I grew up with 4 siblings and me and 2 sisters shared a room until I was 15-I was in the top bunk of a bunk bed. My dh wants to move as our ds has the 'box room' he has his only bloody room !!! What's the problem ???

BridgetBidet Fri 26-Jul-13 23:44:12

Congratulations. You will be fine if they are the same sex. However if they are a girl and a boy you will at some point need to move. It's incredibly embarrassing as they get older and a boy at my school was mercilessly teased about it.

We currently have 4 DCs at home with DH and I, in a 3-bed semi. At our most crowded we also had pfb and his fiancee living with us, and we managed just fine.
I do second the people who've said about brother and sister not sharing a room as they get older, but there's no reason you can't just partition your existing room off - it still doesn't necessarily mean you will have to move at all.
Just smile sweetly and nod and ignore grin

WilsonFrickett Sat 27-Jul-13 00:16:21

Congratulations!

I just had a similar conversation with a gay friend (who doesn't want children) and his DM has been bleating about him having his own front door for years! I think it's a generational anti-flat thing, rather than a number of bedrooms thing myself. Tell them to do one. Then go and look at your ceiling height. <still misses her Victorian ceiling heights>

Jan49 Sat 27-Jul-13 00:52:51

Congratulations!smile

I'd feel the same as your family. I'd want a bedroom for each child, so they could either share or have their own rooms depending on what worked best, and a garden so they could play outside whilst I did other things and as a place to hang washing out.

I grew up sharing a bedroom and always wanted my own, so I always said I wouldn't want a dc that had to share. As it happens I only have one dc, now an adult, so he got his own bedroom anyway.

But your flat sounds lovely.smile

GingerBlondecat Sat 27-Jul-13 00:54:49

Congrats flowers
ehh, you'll be fine.

Theexisapsychocunt Sat 27-Jul-13 00:57:26

I'm in a 4 bed house 2 rooms aerial empty because dcs insist on sharing

Theexisapsychocunt Sat 27-Jul-13 00:57:48

Congratulations btw

MariaLuna Sat 27-Jul-13 01:24:26

Congratulations!

When the time comes you can always put in a room divider if the rooms are that big.

Cheaper than moving!

ravenAK Sat 27-Jul-13 01:34:08

Congratulations!

We ended up with 3dc in the smaller bedroom of a Victorian terrace - two in bunks, one in a cot. We moved when the oldest was 5.

You'll be fine for years yet!

MorganMummy Sat 27-Jul-13 01:58:07

Congratulations!

My MIL was boasting about her niece's move from a house the size of ours (currently 2BR) because they 'needed it' with their second (same sexed!) baby. Even though MIL knows full well I have fertility issues and would love a second baby. I told her I thought children should share rooms and it teaches valuable life skills to avoid being spoilt - as she also thinks I was born with silver spoon in my mouth. Despite my parents bringing us up in a 5 BR house my sister and I shared a room till I was 8 or 9, it was great.

I have issues with this clearly, totally resented the implication that I should move or was less good than wonderful niece for not having the money too even if I wanted to! Currenlty revelling in an evening at home while DH has taken DS to see hideous MIL so i dont have to! Congrats again to you.

AnotherStitchInTime Sat 27-Jul-13 02:17:51

Congratulations thanks

I agree, why move?

I have just found out I am 13 weeks pregnant with number 3.

Dd1 and 2 already share the largest bedroom of our 2 bed flat.

New baby will be in with them eventually. 1 set of bunks and a cot, then bunks and a single bed.

I shared with my little brother until the end of primary school, we had a great time.

LessMissAbs Sat 27-Jul-13 06:51:08

Lucky children, sharing a massive bedroom when they are young! Perhaps the critics live in very small roomed modern houses? I once converted a spare reception room in a Georgian flat into two large double bedrooms, the smaller of which was still around 10 feet by 12 feet!

Oh, and congratulations!

redcaryellowcar Sat 27-Jul-13 07:00:03

Congratulations! I think sharing is good, my sister and I did uuntil we were teenagers we lived in 3 bed house and third bedroom was 'spare' and smaller than our shared room. I think it was more normal 25 years ago and when we have next dc they will share with ds even though we have three bedrooms.

peteypiranha Sat 27-Jul-13 07:02:08

I grew up in a big house but always used to sleep on my brothers floor. I wouldnt of minded sharing a room, and its much better to share a room than miss out on a sibling, who will be a friend for life.

elliejjtiny Sat 27-Jul-13 07:02:10

YANBU. My older 3 DC's share a massive room and DS4 will go in there as well at about 6 months ish.

FamiliesShareGerms Sat 27-Jul-13 07:14:12

Oh congratulations! No need at all to move - we've got three bedrooms but DS and DD share a room so we still have a spare. You've got years and years to work out whether you will need another bedroom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now