to think that an 'estimated' due date in 2013 is not good enough

(82 Posts)
Thyeternalsummer Fri 26-Jul-13 11:40:02

Getting exceedingly p'd off with the whole EDD thing. 38 + 6 today and baby theoretically due next Saturday. But of course could have been born at any point in preceding two weeks, or two weeks after.

Which is a bit crap really. They probably predicted baby's due date with as much accuracy 500 years ago.

Surely there must be some statistical analysis taking into account baby's size, previous pregnancies, mothers weight/height, genetic indicators etc which would let you predict with greater accuracy than 'some point within x four weeks'.

Bet if it was men that got pregnant, your due date would be calculable down to the hour and you'd receive daily count down text reminders! wink

As you can tell, I'm a bit fed up!

diddl Sun 28-Jul-13 10:14:36

When I went into labour & phoned my ILs to come over & look after PFB, they got into a right tiz.

Mil asked me what she should do with the casserole she had put in the oven & handed me over to FIL.

He asked me what time I would be having the baby so that they knew how long they would be staying.confusedgrin

Husband had to prise my fingers off the door frame as I wailed that I wanted a home birth...

I kind of get the ones who are saying "you are lucky to be pg" though - but anyone who doesn't want to click on this thread would have enough from the OP to know what it's about.

When I was about 16-18 weeks pg with DC2 (my DD) I had a car accident. (Also had an early MC before DD)
So the last 3 months of pg (ligaments stretching/getting bigger/no painkillers except paracematol/ 24 hour pain) were grim.

Every day once I was past the magic 36 weeks I said to bump "Whenever you like, today would be good"
but never out loud.

So yes, I do sympathise with being heavily pg in July.
But I've seen things from both sides too. sad

DidoTheDodo Sun 28-Jul-13 14:49:05

Not light because DD lost 27+4 baby very recently.
That good enough reason to hope that women who are pg would be glad and stop moaning about the weather, producing early etc?

From my perspective, it does feel a bit unreasonable.

SoupDragon Sun 28-Jul-13 14:53:13

I'm sorry to hear that Dido sad How dreadful.

Nevertheless, if people weren't allowed a light hearted whinge about something simply because there is someone worse off/wanting to be in their position, we wouldn't be allowed to complain about anything.

If a thread upsets you, it is best to simply hide it.

zatyaballerina Sun 28-Jul-13 14:56:37

yanbu, it's always torturous by the time you get to the last couple of weeks, it's so uncomfortable you just want the baby out, it must be ten times worse in this weather. On the bright side you will absolutely have your baby with you in three weeks at the latestsmile Look at it that way.

DidoTheDodo Sun 28-Jul-13 14:56:56

All made worse by the Royal baby and baby-related everything being very prominent at present.

Off to hide. Thread and self.

MerylStrop Sun 28-Jul-13 15:01:10

Realising that birth, like pretty much all parenting, is something that you cannot be in control of is a very, very good thing indeed.

OP what needs to be done is that you need to take yourself off and go to the cinema in the day, go swimming with other humungous ladies, eat a long leisurely lunch in a fancy cafe, and savour the alone-ness.

Dido, ickle - big love.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now