Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think that an 'estimated' due date in 2013 is not good enough

(82 Posts)
Thyeternalsummer Fri 26-Jul-13 11:40:02

Getting exceedingly p'd off with the whole EDD thing. 38 + 6 today and baby theoretically due next Saturday. But of course could have been born at any point in preceding two weeks, or two weeks after.

Which is a bit crap really. They probably predicted baby's due date with as much accuracy 500 years ago.

Surely there must be some statistical analysis taking into account baby's size, previous pregnancies, mothers weight/height, genetic indicators etc which would let you predict with greater accuracy than 'some point within x four weeks'.

Bet if it was men that got pregnant, your due date would be calculable down to the hour and you'd receive daily count down text reminders! wink

As you can tell, I'm a bit fed up!

WandaDoff Sat 27-Jul-13 01:41:44

They got it right 2 out of 3 times with me.

WandaDoff Sat 27-Jul-13 01:52:50

BUT.......

DS1 was born on a sweltering night in July,

DD was born on an horribly hot night in August,

So I have suffered with the heat, & I know how exhausting & downright grim it feels.

I suggest a tepid bath, or a paddling pool & pretty much refusing to move from there until it is time, & as many ice creams/lollies/ice pops as you can handle.

Bogeyface Sat 27-Jul-13 02:05:39

I completely understand your frustration! I went overdue with all but one of my 6 and had 4 inductions.

The reason it is an EDD is because, regardless of what our bodies are doing, the baby gets the casting vote, sorry!

Bogeyface Sat 27-Jul-13 02:07:52

I read a very interesting article that said that the reason that most women (80%) go overdue is becaue EDD's are calculated wrongly. It said that 41 weeks is actually the average and so anything from 38 to 42 shoud be considered normal and that induction for post dates shouldnt be considered until week 43, and then only after monitoring the baby.

SoupDragon Sat 27-Jul-13 07:24:08

Don't our bodies hold off giving birth (to a certain extent) until it is "safe" to do so? A left over remnant from our days as apes. An EDD would never be exact.

HollyBerryBush Sat 27-Jul-13 07:35:52

Something I was reading (many moons ago) is that different races have different average pregnancy lengths - 40 weeks is just an average. The melting pot that is the world, it would be impossible to predict an exact date because everyone has a racial mix and it might be that gene that comes to the fore.

A baby will come when it wants to.

MrsBungle Sat 27-Jul-13 07:48:25

After being convinced I'd be 'early' with dc1 (as my mum had my brother and I, 2 weeks early) I was pissed off to be 8 days late.

With dc2 I told myself that my due date was actually 2 weeks later than it was so next time I was early! 4 days late

Once baby is here you will have forgotten all about this stage!

Thyeternalsummer Sat 27-Jul-13 08:09:37

Think the problem is that I've done everything that needs doing already so I'm living in the set of the baby play without the lead character. There's nothing more I can do now...if I bought any more clothes for example he'd be fully kitted out until he was 18 wink

I'm so sceptical now when my partner talks about 'when the baby's here' ....feels like I'm humouring an elderly aunt talking to me about 'when the Queen comes to tea'.

I did a load of cooking and filled the freezer with meals to help in the first couple of weeks.

Otherwise RELAX you won't be doing much of that when the baby turns up.

ZingWidge Sat 27-Jul-13 18:56:06

I think there should be Best Before End date.
if baby's not born by then, mum would be induced or would have ELSC on BEE day.

no-one would ever again have to feel like a failure for being late as baby could only ever be early or on time.

problem sorted, job done

< bangs gavel >

LilPeasMama Sat 27-Jul-13 21:36:23

That's it eternal I know exactly what you mean!
I reckon you should get a boxset on DVD and put you're feet up, oh how I wished I would have not seen Prison Break or 24 now, Gavin and Stacey maybe? What about Luther, I cannot recommend this enough, great programme!

revealall Sat 27-Jul-13 21:49:53

Mine was 10 days out according to doctors dates.
I had only had sex once the entire year and was exactly on the average (266 days) when I worked it out.

ArgyMargy Sat 27-Jul-13 21:52:42

YAB totally U. You are a woman, not a machine. Silly moo.

meditrina Sat 27-Jul-13 21:55:07

There sort of is a BBE date - 42weeks. Perhaps there should be more focus on the 2 week "window" rather than trying to tie it down to a day? Especially as stress hormones tend to delay onset.

Um no babies come when they are ready there is no exact science

maddening Sat 27-Jul-13 23:33:14

Any films you haven't watched? Tv series that you fancied but never got round to watching? Books to read? May as well sit back and eat cake, enjoy nice cups of tea (not luke warm ones) and enjoy the calm before the storm smile

TheDetective Sat 27-Jul-13 23:48:30

There isn't a BBE date, as the placenta doesn't suddenly expire at 42 weeks grin.

OP, with DS2 I didn't want to be induced. I went 20 days past EDD in the end. First DS was also 13 days past EDD too.

With DS2 I got a positive pregnancy test on day 20 of my cycle. Due to him being so overdue, I actually knew I was pregnant for 10 months and 1 day! grin

It did feel like the longest pregnancy ever, but I didn't get fed up. Just enjoy it for what it is - as boring and crap as that may seem.

He's mega a mega stubborn baby by the way. I think he just started as he wanted to go on!

Your baby will be here by 16 days after the EDD most likely. Aim for that. smile

Bogeyface Sat 27-Jul-13 23:57:07

The problem with people saying "Enjoy the calm before the storm" is that its like telling a child that its nearly Xmas but not telling them the date it will happen. Everyday they run down hoping for presents and every day you say "nope, not today, maybe it will be tomorrow". We want the big day, and every twinge makes us think "Is it today?".

If we had a definite EDD then we could focus on that. People saying "Oh I really enjoyed my PG, I read all the books I hadnt had time for" is really fecking annoying!

maddening Sun 28-Jul-13 09:14:46

The detective - there is a natural expiration "date" though - placentas start to deteriorate between 40-42 weeks - obviously this varies from one person to another so some such as yourself may last longer.

Bogey - yes I know you can't help the anticipation but sometimes as an adult you can just sit back and try and relax a bit and remind yourself to enjoy it as well - it's also the kind of thing some wish they had done more of instead of getting stressed. Especially as short of induction or cesarean there's not much you can do. In addition being stressed isn't conducive to labour starting.

outragedofsuburbia Sun 28-Jul-13 09:32:09

I think in the modern western world we are too used to having control and being able effect our environment. In birth we can't and it really seems to concern some women and their partners and makes them anxious. The only way we can gain control is c-section and even that can have unpredictable outcomes and unforeseen future consequences. Induction is a very unpredictable process although people send to be under the misapprehension it's a case 1+1 = baby.

You really would be better off trying to let go of these feelings of control because when your lively baby decides to arrive all organisation and control will go out of the window!

outragedofsuburbia Sun 28-Jul-13 09:33:50

I meant lovely baby although will be lively too I am sure.

DidoTheDodo Sun 28-Jul-13 09:34:10

You're lucky to be pregnant.
Just chill and wait as women have always had to do.

oh lighten up dido

SoupDragon Sun 28-Jul-13 09:45:11

That's helpful hmm

mrsspagbol Sun 28-Jul-13 09:56:29

As someone sat here at 40 plus 7 i feel OP is VVV reasonable.

Should I ever be expecting again, I feel they should not bother with giving me an EDD - it reall doesn't suit my my
controlling personality type.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now