to want to buy a house with space in the kitchen for a fridge..?

(87 Posts)
MrsRajeshKoothrappali Thu 25-Jul-13 21:45:45

Viewed four houses today.

Two of them didn't have a space in the kitchen for a fridge. One of which was a brand new fitted kitchen done up to sell.

In one house you had to walk from the kitchen, through the dining room into a conservatory to access the fridge and in the other you had to walk through the utility room into the garage to get to it.

I thought it seemed too much of a faff and said that I needed the fridge to actually be in the kitchen, or at the very least in an ajoining room.

Estate agent looked at me like this: hmm

Am I totally spoilt and unreasonable. Or is wanting a fridge in the kitchen pretty standard?

Am starting to doubt myself..!

confused

YANBU
but i take exception to everyone who says you need a dishwasher. hmm

in our kitchen, we have a fidge/freezer and a separate freezer.
and acooker and a washing machine.
it's too small for anything else.

my mum and dad used to have the washing machine in the conservatory - which made proper sense, as it was next to the back door for hanging out in the summer, or the conservatory could be used for hanging out in the winter.

no problem with washing machines being in garages either, if they're attached to the house

Pobblewhohasnotoes Fri 26-Jul-13 14:16:53

YANBU.

When we bought our house we had to remove a wall cupboard to fit in a fridge freezer. I miss having a dishwasher, one day when we get our kitchen done...

MadBusLady Fri 26-Jul-13 14:36:23

I just don't understand the "too fussy" thing - do they think they're going to embarrass you into handing over that amount of money rather than be perceived as "too fussy" by some twat you've only just met? Maybe some do, but I'd be amazed if it was a widely successful strategy on huge ticket items like this. But they seem convinced this kind of wheeler-dealerism works, I guess because the market hasn't exactly leaned out the profession over the last decade. They'll sell houses no matter what. They might as well put it down to lucky underpants as anything they say or do.

I didn't like most of the ones I've met much, can you tell?

KnappShappeyShipwright Fri 26-Jul-13 15:27:22

We're renting a 1970s semi with a ridiculous kitchen without space for a single electrical appliance, someone has built a lean-to on the side so we can have a washing machine, tumble dryer, fridge freezer and dishwasher. It didn't seem too bad when we looked round the house but a year on it drives me round the bend. I wouldn't buy this house for that very reason (well, that and the noisy neighbours, lack of amenities in this town...).

Goodness knows what the original occupiers were expected to do, every single house in our road has been extended to make the kitchen usable.

LessMissAbs Fri 26-Jul-13 16:42:41

How bizarre. These properties are probably hard to shift and the estate agent probably knows that. Are you sure there wasn't a tiny fridge hidden somewhere in the kitchen?

I've done up and sold many properties and I have no interior design training but this is so basic - why on earth would you think a property would sell without a fridge in the kitchen?! If its a small kitchen, you must somehow fit in sink, drainer, cooker and fridge, all located close together preferably built in or silver. These are the bare essentials.

Better still if you can fit in a dishwasher, tall fridge freezer, washing machine and tumble dryer. Actually I have a dilemma about my current project, as the washing machine and tumble dryer are in attached outhouse ie you have to go outside to access them although its a storage room attached to the house. I like it because you get no noise when both are on, but I don't think its quite right and we can make room in the (medium sized) kitchen to put them in there. Interested in hearing views on this.

steppemum Fri 26-Jul-13 22:36:03

LessMiss - I would not be interested if I had to go outside. Not so bothered by them being in the back of a garage for example if there is a clean floor (eg piece of lino) in front of the machine.
Is there no way of making a doorway through to your storage room and creating a utility room?

And my ideal utility room has a sink. A dirty sink (ie a sink in which I can wash football boots and paint brushes) is the icing on the cake of my perfect kitchen/utility room combo.

(memo to self - get a life!)

ShadowMeltingInTheSun Fri 26-Jul-13 23:12:02

YANBU. It's perfectly normal to want a fridge in the kitchen. I'd be really put off a property if it didn't have room for a fridge in the kitchen.

Washing machines / tumble dryers in garages etc wouldn't be a deal-breaker. A lot of garages are teeny tiny and hard to fit modern cars into anyway.

MadBusLady Sat 27-Jul-13 08:41:24

Ooh yes, a dirty sink.

<dreams>

Didactylos Sat 27-Jul-13 10:47:52

a family member is a builder who designs kitchens as part of their job, normally for renovated property so within the confines of an existing space, and the whole idea is to get a layout thats easy to work in - in practice this is normally starting with a triangle of 3 points where cooker, fridge/freezer and sink are, because these are the 3 places youd be walking to and from if preparing a meal. Dishwasher,washing machine etc position less essential

I live in a flat above shops my kitchen is tiny as.there is a cupboard for the massive boiler in kitchen my front is on street level and we have a small space to enter so you open the front door and you see my normal sized freezer turn lwft for the stairs when you are at the top you see my fridge which is in a cupboard in the hallway walk two paces and you are in the kitchen it has a cooker a sink a washing manchine and some cupboards and two small work tops its L shaped the cooker is so close to the cupboard where the boiler is I cook sideways as cant stand oppsite the cooker as the wall is behind me the you can only just squeeze by to get to the plate cupboard the tumble dryer lives in dds room its cosy

Mine is a counicl flat next door has no cupboard in the kitchen and a new little combo boiler so can get his fridge in the kitchen his dc vist each weekend and when they see me tge first thing they ask is hows your tiny kitchen stars grin

dizzy77 Sat 27-Jul-13 11:30:58

Whilst I'd check it, I don't think my fridge would be included in estate agents particulars about the kitchen, as its free standing and we'd take it if we moved. Unlike the oven, sink, washing machine etc.

YANBU though. One of my key criteria was a "social" kitchen: not necessarily large but close enough to other people I wouldn't be squirrelled away somewhere. Still dreaming of that utility room.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now