Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Thinking that Emmerdales episode tonight 25/7 was far to distressing for pre watershed

(37 Posts)
Lilyloo Thu 25-Jul-13 21:03:28

Thankfully my dc weren't in the room but a very realistic car crash followed by someone suffocating another person wasn't particularly appropriate for 8 o clock in the evening.

Jinty16 Thu 25-Jul-13 21:08:27

I don't think any soaps are appropriate pre watershed. I stopped watching them when eldest ds was a baby because I didn't want him seeing them. YANBU.

I agree with Jinty. All the soaps are grim. That does sound very bad though.

valiumredhead Thu 25-Jul-13 21:10:51

Not watched it yet-will report back when I have!

mynameisslimshady Thu 25-Jul-13 21:11:17

It was no worse than any other car crash or disaster in soap land really.

KenDoddsDadsDog Thu 25-Jul-13 21:11:18

It was pretty bad - I'm not normally shocked at soap storylined but that was grim.

Lilyloo Thu 25-Jul-13 21:15:04

Mynameis maybe I am out of touch with 'normal' in soaps now as I don't watch them very often

mynameisslimshady Thu 25-Jul-13 21:20:30

I do watch them, but I tend to record them and watch later when I know something like this is happening. There have been very realistic accidents, murders and disasters in all of them recently.

SoleSource Thu 25-Jul-13 21:20:40

I hardly watch the soaps but what you have described seems unsuitable.

YANBU.

Burmobasher Thu 25-Jul-13 21:33:04

Yanbu.
It takes a lot to upset me pre watershed. I thought it was well done and well acted but made me feel sick. There's been lots of violence on soaps through the years but this really got to me for some reason.
Hope they catch that dastardly Cameron soon!

HeyIJustMetYou Thu 25-Jul-13 21:40:32

That Cameron is a one isnt he! Yabu - solid entertainment for the whole family. It's never too early to show the gritty reality of rural life.

HugAMoo Thu 25-Jul-13 21:42:43

Emmerdale is one of the worst soaps for sensationalism now, I think.

I remember it when I was younger being all about the farm and animals and all very gentle. It all went wrong after that huge plane crash, didn't it?!

Didn't watch tonight but sounds pretty full on for 8pm!

SarahAndFuck Thu 25-Jul-13 22:03:25

I watched it on catch up after DS was in bed.

It was a bit brutal, the crash was horrific and the bit where she was unable to move but fully aware of what he was going to do to her was chilling.

They were very clever at filming that part from a distance in silence, that made it worse.

YANBU OP, I thought it was done very well and far too upsetting for pre-watershed, even with the warning about distressing scenes.

valiumredhead Thu 25-Jul-13 23:00:53

Just watched it.I thought out was ok for 8.30 slot not 7.30.

Little kids should be in bed at 8.30wink

SarahAndFuck Thu 25-Jul-13 23:05:29

Little kids valium?

I'm thinking of my mother! grin She has no stomach for things like this.

Seriously, I'm starting to worry about my mother. She's started to say alarming things like "I quite like that Katie Hopkins" and "Fiona Phillips said something interesting today" and "Eamon Holmes is very funny".

If she didn't hate the computer so much I think I might have introduced her to MN by now so we could stage an intervention.

valiumredhead Thu 25-Jul-13 23:07:49

Katie Hopkins? Can you disown her?wink

valiumredhead Thu 25-Jul-13 23:15:27

Oooo actually, I've changed my mind,I just watched the end and he KILLED hershock

Nooo, what's going to happen to poor Nikel and gorgeous thumb sucking baby Molly?sad

mynameisslimshady Thu 25-Jul-13 23:17:09

Well if Nikel is up for grabs, may I be the first to throw my hat into the ring grin

SarahAndFuck Thu 25-Jul-13 23:19:42

I could try, but I'm waiting it out to see if she's on some elaborate wind-up.

We're quite fond of the long-game practical joke in our family. She's got to be having me on.

SarahAndFuck Thu 25-Jul-13 23:20:10

Nikel is mine!

ChippingInHopHopHop Thu 25-Jul-13 23:22:50

Shandy you wont get any competition from me, he would drive me insane!

Why couldn't they have just let them be 'The Token Happy Family' and run the B&B etc, there would have been plenty of story lines open to them sad

I wonder if she wanted 'out' or if they just wrote her out?

Cameron ... I don't know, you can actually see why he does each thing, he's not actually evil for the sake of evil.

ImNotBloody14 Thu 25-Jul-13 23:24:11

I agree OP- I was bathing ds2 (bathroom next to living room) and had emmerdale on as I was listening to it from the bathroom. ds1 (8) was getting himself some supper and then took it into the living room to eat. I didn't realise what was happening til I heard ds1 say "woah!" and I poked my head in to see the car tumbling down the hill. I checked to see if he was upset but he was fine and I just switched it over. I agree I don't think any soaps are suitable for dcs anymore tbh. term time mine are normally in bed at 7 or in their rooms at least but ive relaxed it during the summer.

valiumredhead Thu 25-Jul-13 23:25:19

Oh no, the b and b! They've signed the papers already! shock

ChippingInHopHopHop Thu 25-Jul-13 23:25:28

Oh, but to answer the OP. I don't think it was any more or less suitable than anything else they have been dealing with - so if I had a child who normally watched it, tonights wouldn't have bothered me. In fact, it would have bothered me a lot less than many of the other incidents/story lines...

sweetiepie1979 Thu 25-Jul-13 23:29:11

Oh no I missed emmerdale tonight, can someone tell me what happened? Car crash? Strangling? Who is dead? Ahhhh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now