MN vote please. Which train ticket to get??

(23 Posts)
floatyflo Thu 25-Jul-13 19:44:25

Posting here for the traffic.

Do I get an advance train ticket for £140 return, certain trains and certain times. If I were to miss a connecting train, id be looking at paying out at the most £100 for remainder of journey.

Or buy an off.peak for £180, and not have to worry about making connecting train on time. But if I get every train I would've with the advance, that extra forty squid could be spending money while we are away.

Factors to consider - Will be travelling with ds 2.10yrs. Also with dp.
Have travelled long distance train jouneys smoothly before.

Thanks!

Reality Thu 25-Jul-13 19:47:27

How many changes?

It's often only the main portion of the journey that's fixed, and you shoudl be able to arrive well ahead of that particular connection.

If it's all fixed trains, I would pay the extra and not risk it.

YouTheCat Thu 25-Jul-13 19:47:45

Two singles might be cheaper.

If you have to make connections can you break the journey down so you have more time in between trains?

kinkyfuckery Thu 25-Jul-13 19:48:26

If you can make sure there's plenty of time in between connections so you're not running along a platform with a toddler, I'd do the advance option.

Helpyourself Thu 25-Jul-13 19:50:30

Is that with a railcard? You might be able to do it cheaper, with the possibility of changing even if you have to pay for a railcard.

It could be cheaper to buy a family railcard and buy 2 adult & one child tickets, even though DS travels for free. There's an offer for £10 off a family railcard at the moment.

floatyflo Thu 25-Jul-13 19:53:49

That will be the cheapest. Tried all the getting singles instead of returns etc.

No breaking journey down. The times are what the times. But they are designed with minimal hassle and so there is enough time for people to get off one and onto the other.

raisah Thu 25-Jul-13 19:55:30

Same as eggflipped and buy singles, we always get singles to Manchester for about £19 each in advance. Singles gives you greater price control & flexibility.

McNewPants2013 Thu 25-Jul-13 19:55:38

With a toddler I would pay the highest because when you need the to cooperate its normally the time they will not.

floatyflo Thu 25-Jul-13 20:24:02

That essentially is two singles. Advance tickets tend to be two singles. Pick ya time for outward and returning jouney. Different times have different prices.

And that is the cheapest.
Just want to know what people would do and how much they would pay. It will.only be booked a few days before hence why its quite an expensive advance!

Very very TRUE McNewpants!

Turniptwirl Thu 25-Jul-13 20:28:43

When

floatyflo Thu 25-Jul-13 20:29:20

When what?

Turniptwirl Thu 25-Jul-13 20:30:50

When I've had advance tickets and delays on the trains have caused missed connections, the guard on the delayed train has scribbled a note on the back of my ticket to explain and I've just got the next available train. Doubt this would work if delays were caused by toddlers being difficult to get around the station though. But if you have time at each connection for platform changed with a toddler then get the cheap one.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 25-Jul-13 20:31:09

Have you got a family railcard? If not get one (use tesco vouchers to get it for free). That'll make it much cheaper then flexibility will be more affordable.

Nagoo Thu 25-Jul-13 20:37:09

It doesn't matter if your connecting train is late if it's the fault of the train company.

yy to family railcard, buy a ticket for you, DH and the toddler, even including the railcard at £30 you will save a lot of money on tickets costing that amount.

Nagoo Thu 25-Jul-13 20:38:39

Also check here in case a split ticket is best for you smile

Nagoo Thu 25-Jul-13 20:41:36

The only reason I'd not buy an advance is if there was any possibility that you would be late for the return train. Then you are fucked, basically

floatyflo Thu 25-Jul-13 20:45:15

Ok so checked out the split site. No cheaper split tickets. Will have a look and see of railcard will make it cheaper.

Maryann1975 Thu 25-Jul-13 20:47:34

I also thought that if you misse a connecting train because of a delay or problem with the network you could travel on the next available train with no problem. Is there enough time to get from one platform to another without rushing though?

floatyflo Thu 25-Jul-13 21:09:25

Yeah if I miss a train due to their fault, I wouldn't have to pay for another ticket. If I miss a train because of my fault I will.

Anyway, for those that know about railcards. It will work out cheaper to get a family railcard and pay for my son. But it says on website to be eligible for family railcard I have to have a child five and over? I only have a two year old?

Nagoo Sun 28-Jul-13 09:25:06

Its fine so long as you buy a ticket for the two year old. You can't have no child at all, but you can pay for a baby. Its an odd rule, I know.

floatyflo Sun 28-Jul-13 09:29:10

Even odder that it works out cheaper, even after paying for the railcard. But at least I can def afford an off peak ticket now, which mean we can travel at our own pace and haven't for to worry about making trains on time. And ds will have a seat.

BatwingsAndButterflies Sun 28-Jul-13 13:26:24

I have missed connecting trains a few times and got on the next one. Just explained to the guard when he took my ticket and there were no problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now