To complain about this language, I think it's disablist?

(128 Posts)
Lambzig Thu 25-Jul-13 17:50:05

I recently went on a speed awareness course with AA Drivetech. Totally my mistake and stupid fault for speeding and I found the course content interesting and useful.

However, one thing is really bothering me. The course talks a lot about how speeding over 30 mph can have severe and fatal impacts during any accidents. The trainer referred on at least 3 occasions to people being "left as cabbages" or "if it didn't kill you, you would be a cabbage".

I thought it was inappropriate and offensive, and wished I had said something at the time, but the whole delivery was a bit intimidating.

It's just over a week ago now, but its praying on my mind. DH thinks I am being a teeny bit preciou, that they use emotive language and that if I complain it will look like I am being petty for having to go on the course (some people there were so aggressive about it). I think AA would want to stop it being said and that I should complain.

Am I overreacting?

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 26-Jul-13 21:42:04

Secrets

That's worse in a way, a deluded sense of entitlement. Given how pathetic these people really are anyway.

I think the thing some people forget is that disability can affect you or your family at any stage of your or their life. Randomly with no obvious cause, tragic accident, sudden illness. They mock and are cruel because their mindset is too narrow to accept that simple fact. Their minds are far too narrow to even comprehend the fact that it's not "disabled people" they're talking about,it's a person with a disability. I think taking the individuality away makes it easier for them, as well as the pack mentality.

TheAAOrganisation Tue 30-Jul-13 11:50:34

Hello, we would very much like to discuss the points raised in your post here.

Please email chat@theaa.com with your course reference number, full name, address and entitle your email FOR 47112.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,
The AA

ComposHat Tue 30-Jul-13 12:01:55

OP yes the instructor used crass and insensitive language.

However I would be more concerned that I'd been driving in a way thst could have caused someone else to be left in a vegetative state rather than chucking brickbats at someone who used an off colour word to describe the potential outcome of my bad driving.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now