...to think it's odd to be smug that your child has the same name as the prince

(74 Posts)
makemineabacardi Thu 25-Jul-13 15:08:12

Seen this quite a lot in the last few days - mostly on Facebook/twitter etc to be fair. People just really smug that one of their DCs shares a name with the new prince.

Wow, get you - three years ago you picked an already popular name which is now also the name of the future king. They must have copied you, you trendsetter. No no, please show me more photos of your 'Prince George'. hmm

I've even seen one post where parent was extremely proud of the fact that his DC shared a middle name with new prince George.

I don't get it tbh. And I'm probably being IR. wink

Yonionekanobe Thu 25-Jul-13 22:36:31

My next door neighbour is called George.

What do I win?

itchyandscratchy26 Thu 25-Jul-13 22:38:37

My 8 week old boy is George. Chosen for our own personal reasons, as we liked the name. Chosen in fact before we even knew the duchess was pregnant.
And yes, I have posted some comments on facebook, more to amuse rather than any smugness. In fact I'd rather there aren't a flurry of Georges at school. Anyone who interprets it as smug can F**K off and worry about something more important.

Fakebook Thu 25-Jul-13 22:42:58

Some of my children's clothes labels say George. My dd has two George's in her class and I used to have a friend called Georgina back in 1991. Go me.

SarahAndFuck Thu 25-Jul-13 22:55:16

I got married on 22nd July twelve years ago because I knew, I bloody knew, that somebody would have a famous baby on that date eventually. grin

I quite like that people are so pleased to have something in common with them.

My Nana was over the moon once because someone on Corrie had the same set of 'tea coffee sugar' canisters as she did. Every time those canisters got screen time she was happy.

DidRoyalsCopyMe Thu 25-Jul-13 22:57:33

We have a George Alexander - he's 7 and very proud that baby royal has same name as him!

We chose the name George a) because two of his great-grandfathers were Georges, and b) we are from a family of farmers - the name George derives from ancient Greek and means 'farmer'. Felt it was quite apt, plus it's a good solid name.

Oh and c) lived abroad in various European countries, and liked having a name that was easily translatable across many languages ... unlike my own name which is greeted by a perplexed look whenever we go abroad!

I was initially quite keen on Alexander as a first name, but then realised I didn't like any of the shortened versions like Alex or Sandy, so binned that one.

GW297 Thu 25-Jul-13 22:59:39

I have the same initials as the new prince and am ridiculously pleased about this for some unknown and very unexpected reason!

WestieMamma Thu 25-Jul-13 23:08:53

Westiemamma - have you really called your son St George?

Yep, but it's his middle name (family tradition).

beanandspud Thu 25-Jul-13 23:13:08

Surely you have to have a Bungle and a Zippy before you're allowed to have a George? grin

SueDoku Thu 25-Jul-13 23:42:14

Ah this brings back memories of being in labour with DC2 in 1977 - midwife asked whether we'd got names and I told her yes, Richard for a boy and Elizabeth for a girl - then almost yelled, 'But NOT after the Queen - we just like the name...!' She looked most astonished grin

Absolutelylost Fri 26-Jul-13 00:47:57

My 13 year old isn't called George but has the middle names Alexander Louis, not a common combination so I feel a bit pleased - but not quite sure why!

MyBaby1day Fri 26-Jul-13 05:38:12

grin iwouldgoouttonight

I have a baby doll named Alexander!!. Always loved the name!. But well let them enjoy it as long as they're not doing it too much!!.

madasa Fri 26-Jul-13 07:31:36

My cat is walking around with a smug look and an overnight acquired air of superiority

rob99 Fri 26-Jul-13 07:48:53

George is a bit of a cold name IMO and when I was younger the only people called George were old farts. I guess the future king was always going to have a traditional "King-like" name.

riojabotherer Fri 26-Jul-13 08:02:20

I have a toddler George and would far rather they'd picked another name. It's bloody annoying. Luckily he and I know there's only one Prince George.

Lazyjaney Fri 26-Jul-13 08:19:09

Since being ruled by Germans from 1700 we've had 6 Georges, 2 Williams and an Edward. Plus an Anna, a Vicky and a Liz.

Creativity is not their strong suit. Charles will never rule, spoils the pattern.

doingthesplitz Fri 26-Jul-13 12:36:38

I was on the bus this morning and heard someone calling the man beside me 'George'. I often have amazing royal coincidences like that <preen>

Niklepic Fri 26-Jul-13 12:40:49

Four of my cats are called George, Charles, Edward and Harry. All I need is for a princess to be born and named Scruffles.

doingthesplitz Fri 26-Jul-13 12:52:35

Oh Noooo Nikle shock. I don't want everyone to think I copied the royal family with DD's name.

ComposHat Fri 26-Jul-13 13:02:38

I have an 8 week old ds with a classical name

Handel?

Beethoven?

Lizt?

SofaKing Fri 26-Jul-13 13:12:41

My dad was called George Alexander smile

He was not much of a royalist, but has been dead for twelve years so is unlikely to be cross.

Nice of them to call him after my dad though, did make me laugh (in a nice way)

SirBoobAlot Fri 26-Jul-13 13:25:26

DS's first middle name (he has two, flame away...) is George after my Grandad. We weren't going to include it, but exP wanted DS to have his middle name, which starts with J, and the first name we agreed on started with B. I refused to allow DS to have the initials BJ, so added in George as well.

Now THAT is more interesting than "It had to be George, really" as a naming story grin

ComposHat Mon 29-Jul-13 00:31:54

As someone pointed out on my Facebook page, they'll be able to safe time and effort sewing name tags in his clothes, if they get them all from ASDA's clothing range.

squoosh Mon 29-Jul-13 01:00:34

George is a very clammy, squidgy, pink name. Suitable for a new baby and an old man.

SarahAndFuck Mon 29-Jul-13 11:54:58

Surely George is dark brown and tastes like the brown liquorice allsorts?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now