AIBU to think that when I buy ready to eat avocados they should be ready to eat?

(69 Posts)
GermanGirlinLDN Thu 25-Jul-13 09:57:42

So annoying. Bought three ready to eat avocados a week ago, they are still hard and I can't eat them yet.

So AIBU so expect to be able to eat the avocados just after I bought them?

bittenipples Thu 25-Jul-13 10:07:16

YANBU! This really grates my carrot too.

KellyElly Thu 25-Jul-13 10:40:40

I've given up buying them for this reason!

numbum Thu 25-Jul-13 10:41:42

Tesco? I gave up buying them too

PaulSmenis Thu 25-Jul-13 10:49:02

This really grinds my gears. Also, they are sometimes so ripe that they are just manky and rotten.

GermanGirlinLDN Thu 25-Jul-13 12:00:55

No Waitrose.

Apileofballyhoo Thu 25-Jul-13 12:00:55

There is only one split second in the life of an avocado between it being too hard and too ripe. I stay up all night whenever I buy one just to make sure I don't miss it.

MadBusLady Thu 25-Jul-13 12:05:16

YANBU! Peaches and nectarines too, the hard bastards.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Thu 25-Jul-13 12:05:33

YABU. Avocado is horrible.

SoniaGluck Thu 25-Jul-13 12:05:43

Asda is bad for this. Peaches, nectarines, avocados - all as hard as bullets. I buy fruit and vegetables from the market these days to ensure you can actually eat some when you get home.

Oh, and if you do buy 'ready to eat', they're more expensive. hmm

Put them next to some ripe bananas

squoosh Thu 25-Jul-13 12:09:27

Put them in a paper bag with some bananas, that'll ripen them up nicely.

Avocadoes are contrary little fuckers. All in their own sweet time. If I didn't love them so much I'd tell them to get lost.

fluffandnonsense Thu 25-Jul-13 12:09:37

Put it with a ripe banana!

MadBusLady Thu 25-Jul-13 12:09:58

Ha, but that requires ripe bananas! If there is a yellow stage between green and brown I rarely seem to catch it.

CheeseFondueRocks Thu 25-Jul-13 12:12:29

YANBU!

The last 3 I bought from Waitrose were either off inside or stone hard.

MadBusLady Thu 25-Jul-13 12:18:39

I hate fruit actually. The bloody monitoring involved. Give me a vegetable - usable one way or another until they actually get furry.

I dunno MadBusLady I went to use a shallot yesterday, freshly delivered, and it was bloody mouldy!

MadBusLady Thu 25-Jul-13 12:35:36

Eulch! I did once have a mouldy onion from Waitrose now I think about it. I didn't even know onions could get moudly. <eyes onion basket fearfully>

Scotmid Co-op is pretty good for this - if I want to use an avocado that day I buy it at my local Scotmid.

LaRegina Thu 25-Jul-13 12:39:08

YABU for trusting the avocados without squeezing them before you buy! A little squeeze tells you all you need to know smile

Badvoc Thu 25-Jul-13 12:41:35

They are like pears and nectarines.
They at only ripe for 3 minutes then they rot.
sad

squoosh Thu 25-Jul-13 12:52:39

I love avocados, as high maintenance as they are they are so worth it. That lovely yielding flesh. Mmmmmmmm

Meow75 Thu 25-Jul-13 12:55:08

Avocados will only ripen once they've come off their parent tree, so whilst an apple might be 3/4 ripe by the time it is picked and then is in your supermarket within a few days, a freshly picked avocado STILL has a lot of work to do. shock

The poor little blighters!! wink

Lavidaenrosa Thu 25-Jul-13 13:02:42

German Wrap the avocados in paper (newspaper or kitchen towel) leave them in a dark cool place (cupboard?) and they will be ready to eat in a day or two.

You can genlty squeeze them before you buy them, but this will leave them with a bruis. Trust me, I am Southamerican and I have been eating them since I was a baby probably.

sweetsummerlove Thu 25-Jul-13 13:04:46

this really does my swede in too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now