Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to tell her shes not aloud pets in the home ever

(223 Posts)
rosepettel Thu 25-Jul-13 06:19:07

ok i got up 30 mins ago
youngest dd is ill
she got a bug and put it in a pot

messy and hard work
aibu

GoodTouchBadTouch Sat 27-Jul-13 20:41:12

Haha, no I saw that. My theory is that she doesn't mean bug, but some sort of rodent. Maybe a vole or something.

Passmethecrisps Sat 27-Jul-13 20:46:20

Hmm. My parents bought a pot plant once because it was the only one left on the shelf so it would be lonely.

Maybe that experience sheds some light on my empathy with OP grin

Pigsmummy Sat 27-Jul-13 21:37:50

No it was confirmed in the "hamwich" saga that English is her native Tongue.

JulieMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 27-Jul-13 21:50:37

Evening,

Just to remind you of our talk guidelines.

We can see nothing to suggest that there is a troll at work here, so please be aware before you post that you could be posting to someone genuine and in need of some support.

MNHQ.

everlong Sat 27-Jul-13 21:56:10

I actually think the OP is very clever in her posting style.

She certainly gets a crowd.

Almost like she's been here forever.

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Sat 27-Jul-13 21:58:25

Hmmm - how much actual support do you need to turn an insect out of a pot into the garden?

DS2 had a pet wood louse for about three minutes til I trod on it

Beamur Sat 27-Jul-13 22:02:16

My DD came home with a bug she found at sports day.
We kept it in a pot.
Surprisingly not messy.
But not terribly happy in there either....
Ended up putting said grub in garden and shelling out for some fancy butterfly hatchery to fulfil DD's NEED for bug pets. They are now chrysalids and V.EXCITING. Honest.

CoteDAzur Sat 27-Jul-13 22:04:49

YoureAll makes a valid point.

ToysRLuv Sat 27-Jul-13 22:07:38

Would a bug not climb out of a pot? Or was there a lid mentioned? DS once wanted to buy a fish from a fish monger on our street to put in our aquarium. I said no. It's already full of goldfish and the dead fish would have really stunk the place out.

Secretswitch Sat 27-Jul-13 22:30:13

rosepettel, maybe you can tell your dd that bugs are happiest and healthiest outside? If she brings it inside it might not live that long.
As an alternative, would sea monkeys be a possibility as a low maintainance pet? They are actually tiny brine shrimp. You can buy the whole deal, shrimp, food and aquarium for less then £10.
I am sorry , I don't know your financial situation, so £10 may not be a possibility for you. Just trying to think of ways to satisfy your dd's pet craving..

Yanbu all pets are bitch trouble. Yap is true.

ZingWidge Sun 28-Jul-13 23:08:27

LuisSuarezTeeth England Sun 28-Jul-13 23:39:57

I like sea monkeys.

Although I don't like it when something smells fishy. Yap.

justanuthermanicmumsday Sun 28-Jul-13 23:56:48

They are hassle its like having another person to look after. Even if its a hamster or rabbit it still needs care and like ppl they can get ill and vets are not cheap. I keep fish i would never give them to my kids i have 4, and i barely have time for the fish but i guess i just make time. So relaxing time ill be cleaning out the tanks. Yep it's a lot of money too, especially if vets are involved, i don't need vets though.

Kids Are fickle shell soon move on to next fad. My son wants those electrical jelly fish look real but not. I may get him one he certainly can't get a Marine tank too costly for me and he can't care for it.

LessMissAbs Sun 28-Jul-13 23:59:56

I love these threads. They're like a very soothing and concise form of simple poetry.

Rosepettel YANBU at all to put the bug on the grass. Best place for it. Try to discourage DD from putting any more bugs in pots, as its cruel.

You might get an exotic insect as a pet in the future, if your DD hasn't grown out of her bug fascination. In the meantime, I quite like the suggestion of a rock as a pet. Or you can "adopt" ponies online from welfare organisations, by making a small monthly donation.

TylerHopkins Mon 29-Jul-13 01:09:47

The OP is a hamwidge short of a picnic IMO.

justanuthermanicmumsday Mon 29-Jul-13 01:34:35

Lol@tyler

seriously ppl suggesting a rock as a pet with a straight face? I don't want my kids patting a rock, talking to a rock. Last i heard taking to an inanimate object = insanity.

Make a tiny pond or put a large bucket outside near spring , in no time at all you will get frogs. She will watch the frogs, try and startle them for hours on end. My kids do i don't need toys in the summer they chase frogs. Upside no cleaning, no vets bills no food bills no mess. Come the cold weather they are gone.

BadLad Mon 29-Jul-13 06:42:02

See Toys - I think the writing style suggests foreign.

I don't think so. Unless you know of a foreign language that uses no punctuation at all, I think she is probably from the UK.

Just hurl the bug into the garden. The chances are that it will be fine.

Wuldric Mon 29-Jul-13 07:07:18

I like rosepettel's threads - they always make me laugh.

The bug is now free and has not been turned into a bugwidge.

ZingWidge Mon 29-Jul-13 09:13:51

rosepettel

Congratulations on carrying Baby Pettel.
it's not nice to have bugs in the house, but if your DD is ill perhaps you could let her have the bug for a few days.
It's a good distraction for a child who is not well.

put some earth at the bottom of the jar and give the bug a piece of leaf or grass to eat.

try not to get to stressed, it's not good for you or baby!

and well done for blocking bitch twat on FB, I hope things have improved.

btw I NC after the hamwidge thread. thank you for that!wink

ZingWidge Mon 29-Jul-13 09:26:05

and here's a crown for you

you are mumnets royalty and queen of the sweats!
yap, tis true!

kk

justanuthermanicmumsday Tue 30-Jul-13 20:20:12

Btw guys are you serious straight faced when you say rock as a pet? My kids would never buy that, they know a rock is just that a rock?

ZingWidge Tue 30-Jul-13 21:41:53

just I imagine a pet rock is a bit like those stupid tamaguchi (sp) games.

or an egg or flour baby - you know?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now