Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be annoyed MIL has kicked off potty training!

(106 Posts)
ODearMe Wed 24-Jul-13 21:16:14

DS is 2.5 years old and is looked after by my MIL (whom I love dearly) twice a week while I work.

He is still in nappies and I am beginning to think about potty training but don't really believe he is ready to fully start.

MIL is keen to get him out of nappies. We discussed it over dinner recently (she brought it up) and she suggested the summer holidays might be a good time to do it, as DS would have a break from playgroup.
I said I didn't think he was ready but she had a point about the timings. We left it at that.

When I picked DS up from her house today, I was put out that she had bought him some pants and he had been wearing them all day! She said she was just trying him to see how he got on with it.

AIBU to be livid about this?!

MerylStrop Fri 26-Jul-13 12:20:55

MIL's put him in some pants to tootle around.
She hasn't FORCED anyone to do anything, nor insisted potty training happens NOW. This is hardly making a fundamental decision or overstepping her role as part time carer and grandparent.
Fortunately the OP has the grace to realise that is all that has happened, and that it is no big wow.

MerylStrop Fri 26-Jul-13 12:23:04

It's bugger all like feeding a vegetarian bacon. Nobody's moral or ethical positions have been compromised. Though that would be mightily out of order.

Wibblypiglikesbananas Fri 26-Jul-13 12:43:42

I don't think it's your MIL's decision to make and the fact she provides childcare doesn't give her license to decide something like this.

What does your DP think about it all?

ODearMe Fri 26-Jul-13 17:35:51

Dh thinks she means well but it is not her decision. He did tell her this in the nicest possible way too!

Wibblypiglikesbananas Fri 26-Jul-13 23:07:03

Well, it's good he's backing you. How have things been left?

ODearMe Fri 26-Jul-13 23:23:01

We will give it a shot next week when we don't have any commitments

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now