Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think Blackpool is a bit shit

(573 Posts)
Cutitup Tue 23-Jul-13 20:55:13

Just came back from Blackpool and it was utter shit. Why haven't the council there made improvements and made it a decent place to visit?

There is hardly anywhere halfway reasonable to eat, it looks completely broken and unloved. There is just so much potential for development and it could be the "Orlando" of England. Instead, it's just shite.

I've come away thinking I don't need to take my children to Africa to appreciate what they've got: just take them to Blackpool.

On a good note, the beach is very nice. Shame about the drunks weeing all over the stairs to the beach and leaving beer cans everywhere. I saw broken Britain in Blackpool and I shall never go back again.

RhondaJean Sun 28-Jul-13 00:33:45

Btw we noticed most of the accents we heard round about were scots! And I never saw any shell shops...

timidviper Sun 28-Jul-13 00:35:23

Catgirl Don't even contemplate moving from Lytham to Poulton! I have family over there, the town centre is rubbish, empty shops and looking tatty. There are lots of problems with teenagers at night apparently and it can be quite rough.

RhondaJean Sun 28-Jul-13 00:37:53

Cat I could have met you for a drink!

cooeeyonlyme Sun 28-Jul-13 00:41:44

I went to Blackpool last week, never again. Why does anyone need to be pissed at 10am?

thistlelicker Sun 28-Jul-13 07:44:52

We went to fleet wood
Too! Poor :-(
... And then to lytham! And the kite
Festival!

alythamperson Sun 28-Jul-13 10:39:16

We went to the kite festival too!

Yes that school...sad that it's closed.

Meringue33 Sun 28-Jul-13 10:43:10

Rhonda was it Scottish week when you went? That's another thing I like about Blackpool, the tradition of a whole town/ region/ nation turning up at once! There's also Forces Week (have tried to avoid...)

insancerre Sun 28-Jul-13 10:47:24

<<whispers to lytham st annes people>>
stop telling people how nice it is here, before you know it, we will be invaded and then we will be exactly like Blackpool

Oi tourists,
St Annes is dire, Lytham is a cesspit
you will have a much better time in Blackpool

do you think that worked?

miemohrs Sun 28-Jul-13 11:25:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jacks365 Sun 28-Jul-13 11:53:44

I worked in blackpool years ago just off the town centre, in the winter you couldn't do anything in your lunch break because everything was closed and you couldn't in the summer due to all the crowds. I hated it, I lived then in a little village far enough outside that we had a pr postcode not fy and was glad to get back at night.

I was back there a couple of weeks ago and had to try about 4 shops in Poulton before I could get nappies for dd4, that place has gone downhill.

Bogeyface Sun 28-Jul-13 11:59:50

You were in Louis Tussauds Miem I remember the VD section too grin

glastocat Sun 28-Jul-13 13:50:23

Oh god I've been to Louis Tussauds too, surely it must have closed down by now? It was completely shit IIRC. Although know I think of it, I think the one I went to was in the Isle of Man (another shit hole).

miemohrs Sun 28-Jul-13 14:36:45

FunnyLittleFrog Sun 28-Jul-13 15:04:56

Has anyone seen the TV series Blackpool?

It was very good. Starred David Tennant, David Morrissey and Sarah Parrish. There's a brilliant bit with David Morrissey and one of the League of gentlemen guys singing Don't Stop Me Now atop a Fleetwood tram grin

Allthingspretty Sun 28-Jul-13 16:35:28

I have heard people call Blackpool Bleakpool. Its not my kinda place.

mrsjay Sun 28-Jul-13 17:08:05

I watched the 999 programme and a drunk woman was getting arrested for giving blowjobs for a fiver the officer said to her this is a family resort she slurred no its not its a shithole grin

FunnyLittleFrog Sun 28-Jul-13 20:29:29

Oh, that reminds me of the reality TV show filmed at the Pleasure Beach years ago. A man was arrested for stealing a small figurine of a squirrel from a gift shop. He claimed it was for his mum and he couldn't afford to buy it. He then stole one of those blocks of yellow stuff out of the mens' urinal in the police station. Actually out of the urinal... not from a cupboard or shelf...

shock grin

Y'all need to watch this...makes Blackpool look cool smile

m.youtube.com/watch?v=7SxTyvOixJA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D7SxTyvOixJA

timidviper Mon 29-Jul-13 21:20:41

Miemohrs I remember that tv programme, they filmed a scene where someone was singing in an open top car driving to the arcade and filmed it with the car and cameras on the back of a lorry driving up and down past my house!

Funny LittleFrog The classic line from that Pleasure Beach reality show was from the children's area which used to be called Beaver Creek and have large dressed up characters wandering about. Some rowdy teemagers jostled one about a bit, the police were called and the supervisor called out the immortal words "That's him officer! That's the man who assaulted my beaver!" grin

mrsjay Mon 29-Jul-13 21:24:39

That's him officer! That's the man who assaulted my beaver!"

<arf> i remember that

miemohrs Tue 30-Jul-13 08:48:50

mrsjay Tue 30-Jul-13 09:50:26

we used to go to Blackpool when i was young for a holiday a B n B that served orange juice as a starter and all that grin it was cheap and cheerful but now it is just grim the seafront shops full of willie rock and drug pipes . I was shocked when we took the dds to the pleasure beach the other year we were at the south pier end and the landlady just let any drunk in she had advertised as family only pfft it was terrible folk fighting in the hallway at 3 am we wont be back

GhostsInSnow Tue 30-Jul-13 11:01:45

When I was about 4 my Parents took me to Blackpool, I must have been really bad but I digress...

I clearly recall playing on the sand, tide was coming in and I ran full pelt into the sea. The last thing I remember is water washing over my face and pain like I've never felt in my stomach. The sewerage pipe was perfect height for a 4 year olds stomach and hidden in the waves, I'd run straight into it and passed out with the pain. The Dr's told my parents I was incredibly fortunate that day.

MIL used to insist on going for the illuminations, and she'd drag us all into the tower. DS and I would head for the ballroom, load up Metallica on our iPods and watch people ballroom dance to Metallica whilst we giggled maniacally at the spectacle. With hindsight sat there with headphones laughing our arses off we probably looked a bit odd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now