Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Not to wash my DDs clothes

(28 Posts)
sonlypuppyfat Tue 23-Jul-13 17:12:37

Its just that I am fed up of nagging her to put her dirty stuff in the laundry basket but its still everywhere bathroom floor bedroom floor you get the picture I thought if she ran out of clean things would she finally get the idea or am I being mean?

londonrach Tue 23-Jul-13 20:42:09

Simples if not in the basket its doesn't get washed! Mum taught my sister and I that from day 1 and my sister has her 2 and 4 year old trained now!

specialsubject Tue 23-Jul-13 20:37:24

do it.You should have done it years ago.

sonlypuppyfat Tue 23-Jul-13 20:18:41

Thank you I'm glad to know I'm doing the right thing.

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Tue 23-Jul-13 17:56:20

I'm a nanny and my charges have been putting their clothes in the basket since they started to walk, that's why I get so exasperated with dsc

Whereisegg Tue 23-Jul-13 17:53:54

It does seem to have stuck so far.

Just everything else to work on then!

123rd Tue 23-Jul-13 17:47:06

The rule for dh dd and ds is supposed to be it won't be washed unless its in the wash basket..which does happen most of the time. I do have to do a sweep for odd socks occasionally. At 12 she should be able to do this!

fuzzpig Tue 23-Jul-13 17:46:34

Not mean at all whereisegg. That's just instilling it at a young age and hoping it sticks grin

And the IIAITBIAGW rule (grin) isn't mean either - just necessary.

Whereisegg Tue 23-Jul-13 17:39:38

Crikey, my dc would put their dirty clothes in the wash bin at 2 as part of bath routine!

Does that make me mean?!

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Tue 23-Jul-13 17:37:51

YANBU dsc know if their washing isn't in the basket it doesn't get washed, dsd (14) got the hang of it pretty quickly the first time she ran out of knickers, dss (10) had to run out of clothes 3 times before he got the message.

they have a washing basket in their room so it's not like they have to go anywhere, it especially winds me up when the clothes are thrown on the floor next to the basket angry

BMW6 Tue 23-Jul-13 17:35:47

Do her a favour - stop picking her dirty clothes off the floor and do only wash what's in the laundry basket.

She is certainly old enough to learn some life skills - among others, respect for other people (you)!

UC Tue 23-Jul-13 17:34:29

Agree with the others. If it's not in the basket, it doesn't get washed. Otherwise you'll be forever picking her stuff up off her floor. Don't do it.

AnythingNotEverything Tue 23-Jul-13 17:34:00

Absolutely - she won't make the effort to put them in the basket if she knows you'll pick up after her. She's more than old enough to take responsibility and its simple cause and effect. It goes in the basket: it gets washed. It goes on the floor: it stays on the floor!

Floralnomad Tue 23-Jul-13 17:32:48

My rule is if its not in the laundry basket it doesn't get done ,with the exception of DD who is not well so I go through her room every couple of days and collect stuff. Husband and son are pretty good although often there is a big pile on the top of the basket because they're too lazy to take the lid off .

starfishmummy Tue 23-Jul-13 17:30:53

It might work. Or she might just pick the dirty things up and put them on again. Which might be pretty rank...

Madlizzy Tue 23-Jul-13 17:28:58

My daughter is 14 and can still be a bit of a pain with this. However, she has to bring it all down, wash, dry it and put it all away, including the 3 million towels that she's taking up there. She is improving slowly, and really didn't like going to school in a mucky blouse.

fuzzpig Tue 23-Jul-13 17:28:14

She is definitely old enough for the 'if it ain't in the basket it ain't getting washed' rule. Tell her today, and start with immediate effect!

ChunkyPickle Tue 23-Jul-13 17:27:09

Not sure she'll learn, but put the rule in place nonetheless - I remember going to school in a damp uniform more than once because my mum only guaranteed it would be clean and dry if it was in the washing Friday night. It was my own fault.

Hassled Tue 23-Jul-13 17:26:42

It's been the rule here for a while and youngest is only just 11. They learn pretty quickly. I'll wash anything that's in the laundry basket, but will never go looking.

sonlypuppyfat Tue 23-Jul-13 17:26:06

Sick of being treated like her skivvy she's one of those the more you do for her the more she expects.

magimedi Tue 23-Jul-13 17:23:54

YANBU.

Tell her what you intend to do & then stick to it. Don't waver.

Sirzy Tue 23-Jul-13 17:22:25

If it isn't in the wash basket it dosn't get washed. Seems a simple enough rule and she will soon change if you stick to it.

phantomhairpuller Tue 23-Jul-13 17:20:23

My mum did this to me. I learnt to appreciate what she did for me pretty quickly after that wink

Go for it OP, she'll thank you in the long run

ShoeWhore Tue 23-Jul-13 17:20:08

Cross posted wink

ShoeWhore Tue 23-Jul-13 17:19:19

Depends how old she is OP. If she's a teenager then YANBU at all. If she's 2 then you might be a little bit grin

Madlizzy Tue 23-Jul-13 17:18:51

If it doesn't leave the room, it doesn't get washed. Simple.
That rule has been in place in my house for years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now