Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to leave the light on for my toddler - and should i turn it off later?

(32 Posts)
SlightlyItchyBraStrap Tue 23-Jul-13 09:13:32

DS 26 months asked me to leave his light on when he went to bed just now. I did - and he's fallen asleep - but would it be reasonable to turn it off later? Don't want him waking up scared, but he's not usually scared.... But don't really want to set a precedent for sleeping with the lights on all night.

Anyone have something similar with their toddlers?

Isn't there evidence that regularly sleeping in the light is bad for your eyes as well as generally because of the body clock thing?

Hard to say what is right or wrong as mine were always happy enough to sleep in th edark - eldest had a phase of wanting the landing light left on, but he was school age at that point and it was only for one winter - when the lighter evenings came in he didn't bother and by the time the dark nights were back he didn't bother.

Pennyacrossthehall Tue 23-Jul-13 14:09:10

thebody penny that's a massive assumption based on what evidence???

Here's the first couple of links from Google:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12181853

http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/65/23/11174.abstract

Disclaimer: I know the internet is not entirely correct and I am not a scientist

Pennyacrossthehall Tue 23-Jul-13 14:12:24

More relevantly, I feel that it is normal (in every sense of the word) for it to be dark when we sleep. We always sleep at night and it has always been dark at night. A few million years of evolution has probably reinforced this link quite significantly.

Back to the original point - don't teach your kids that the dark is a bad/scary/unpleasant/avoidable thing for no good reason.

I didnt teach mine that dark was bad but ds especially got scared of it anyway. He has a nightlight but the door is still closed and the main light is off. The bathroom light is left on so the hall is lit up if they need to go to the toilet.

ArkadyRose Tue 23-Jul-13 14:26:22

There is nothing "bad" about wanting a light on when you sleep. I prefer a low level of light myself. That doesn't make me odd; it's just a matter of personal preference.

Oldraver Tue 23-Jul-13 15:36:28

Its better for the body to sleep in dark...some hormones are triggered by the dark which shuts of the wanting to wee response

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now