Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think bridal shops need to stock other sizes!

(41 Posts)
sweetsummerlove Mon 22-Jul-13 22:03:18

Just that really. Because im not a size 8-10 the amount ofdresses in the store I can try on is very limited. One store even commented about me loosing weight for the day ...er..I actually like my curves you cheeky cow. Aibu to think stocking regular size 14+ would be fair too?!

Bogeyface Tue 23-Jul-13 11:49:56

There were 2 dress shops in my town when I got married. One was a realistically priced place with dresses from £100 to over £1000 so had something for all budgets. They only stocked up to a size 12, because according to the (v skinny) owner, that is "average".

The other shop is v v expensive but stocks 8 to 24 in samples, most are in the 12-16 range admittedly, but they do have dresses in all of those sizes. They are still going strong, the other shop closed down 3 years after opening, I wonder why.......

LRDYaDumayuIThink Tue 23-Jul-13 11:40:17

zillion - given they asked me what size I was, I assumed they would provide that size.

Why would I also say 'and by the way, now you know I'm a size 14, could you also have size 14s in stock'? confused

When I booked with my mate I'd had this experience and even asked if they'd be sure to have something in her size, and they still apparently believed this was the same thing as saying 'well, she can hold this up and get a sense of it'.

It's a ridiculous industry and they know they have people over a barrel, that's all. No sense pretending it's somehow rational.

ZillionChocolate Tue 23-Jul-13 10:54:29

LRDYaDumayuIThink Getting the right size is crucial.

What I meant by detail is that if having tried on dresses in the right sort of size you've established you want an A line dress rather than a princess dress or a fishtail, then looking at wrongly sized dresses is still helpful to work out the detail of the dress, ie exact colour, embroidery, crystals, pleating.

You could have course have asked the shop what size their samples were before you booked the appointment.

absentmindeddooooodles Tue 23-Jul-13 10:44:31

I'm an 8 and almost every shop I went to only went down to a 10. They had humndereds of 14 and 16's. I went to about 10 shops., and only one had one that fitted. I'm not tiny, just very small boobs and ribs, the rest of me is perfectly normal size so you'd think they could cater for this.

This goes both ways.

maternitart Tue 23-Jul-13 10:41:08

I bought my dress from a high street shop so avoided this problem in the end!

But most of the samples I saw were size 12.

mamapants Tue 23-Jul-13 10:34:09

It is annoying but obviously a shop can't have every dress in every size.
I went wedding dress shopping with two friends. I was a size 6, the other bridesmaid a size 16 and the bride a size 8/10 none of us got to try on a dress that fit.
Dresses wouldn't close on the other bridesmaid and I had pillows stuck down the back of dresses. It would have been nice between the 3 of us to have had even one dress in my size.

LRDYaDumayuIThink Tue 23-Jul-13 10:28:18

Btw I am pissing myself at the idea that the right size dress is 'detail'. What a ridiculous concept.

LRDYaDumayuIThink Tue 23-Jul-13 10:27:44

zillion - erm, I expected they'd bother to tell me, for starters, and yes, I expected stuff in my size!

I don't expect them to have 40 dresses all in my size, but I think if they ask you to book an appointment and ask your size, there should be at least two or three things in your size.

Why is that so difficult?

It's obviously not beyond the wit of man because I did eventually find a store that carried - ooh, amazing! - dresses in a range of sizes. Almost like, you know, they'd figured out what this whole 'shop' concept was about.

HatieKokpins Tue 23-Jul-13 10:25:49

I bought my wedding dress online for these exact reasons! Bought it for £50, spent £70 getting it adjusted to fit, and looked a million dollars.

WorraLiberty Tue 23-Jul-13 10:17:50

One store even commented about me loosing weight for the day ...er..I actually like my curves you cheeky cow.

I am slowly dropping a few lbs as I'd prefer to be a 12 perhaps, but im very hourglass, big boobs and childbearing hips and my h2b is crazy for my curves so honestly, while im intending to loose a little im certainly not dieting like mad or stressing over it.

What makes you think you're suddenly going to lose your curves if you got down to a size 12?

angelos02 Tue 23-Jul-13 10:17:02

YANBU. I am a size 14 and tall so not slim but nor particularly & big either & I couldn't find any dresses from bridal shops that would fit. Ended up hating the dress shopping experience and bought an off the peg dress from Debenhams.

RussiansOnTheSpree Tue 23-Jul-13 10:15:50

I'm a 6-8 and pretty short. When I got married (long time ago, mind) there wasn't a single dress anywhere that would fit me. All too big and too long. I had to get my dress altered. But it was a bargain and it looked great, so, you know....it all worked out OK in the end. I wish I'd left myself more time though, then I'd've been less panicked.

ZillionChocolate Tue 23-Jul-13 10:09:41

LRDYaDumayuIThink What did you expect? That they'd change their entire stock into your size?

I think you probably need to try different shapes in about the right size and then work out the detail later. I'm a 14-16 and didn't have any problems dress shopping.

CloudsAndTrees Tue 23-Jul-13 10:07:04

When I was buying my wedding dress the lady there told me that they had to order their dresses and pay full price for them way in advance. That's some very expensive stock, I don't think small businesses can be expected to have a range of all dresses in all sizes. They have to go somewhere in the middle.

LRDYaDumayuIThink Tue 23-Jul-13 09:59:56

YANBU. It drives me nuts.

I made appointments both for me, and more recently with a mate. We said what sizes we were. We still got expected to try on dresses several sizes too big or too small, and to see what they looked like either undone at the back or falling off. Like you're going to spend that amount of money when you can't even see it in your size! Both times I went the people in the shop pretended to be stunned we minded this and, yes, implied it was us at fault for being picky about our bodies.

I hope you find somewhere nicer.

mrspaddy Tue 23-Jul-13 09:56:14

I bought my dress in a very large Bridal Wear shop and they had dresses in every size. I am a 12-14 and didn't lose weight for my wedding as I have battled with my weight my whole life and was happy with my weight. If you are happy with your weight.. ignore that silly woman and shop elsewhere.

It is more the shape of the dress that matters I think. With an hour glass figure, a ballgown shape might be best and you can get the netting removed if there is too much volume for you.

www.sinceritybridal.com/wedding_dress/3752

I actually took the dress I tried on and didn't need alterations.

MrsMook Tue 23-Jul-13 09:55:50

Another smaller bride drowning in samples. Trying to visualise the look of the dress without a pre-fab bust on it takes a strong imagination. I only tried on one size 10, and co-incidentally it was the one I went for. I'd probably have gone for it anyway, but it probably helped that it was the right proportions for my body.

When one size 18 sample was unpinned, it fell off.

Whatever size a sample is, it's going to be wrong for +80% of women.

LifeofPo Tue 23-Jul-13 09:52:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GirlWithTheDirtyShirt Tue 23-Jul-13 09:47:11

I bought my dress recently and most of the samples were a size 12, which I think is a realistic size to offer. Many High St shops don't go above a 16 anyhow so I'm not sure why a mainstream bridal retailer would.

Most of the dressees were too small for me (I'm a 14), but to be honest that's my problem!

IThinkOfHappyWhenIThinkOfYou Tue 23-Jul-13 09:39:09

I'm an 8 and I didn't see a single size 8 in any of the shops I visited. They would hoike them in at the back so you could get an idea, only you couldn't. I went to a dressmaker in the end.

sweetsummerlove Tue 23-Jul-13 09:20:05

annoying* I give up..feck you Samsung and your oversensitive touch screens and predictive text!

sweetsummerlove Tue 23-Jul-13 09:19:29

oh for goodness sake. ..ignore the typos...this phone is soo annoy!

sweetsummerlove Tue 23-Jul-13 09:18:36

I guess they can't please everyone..but have so far found it a totak PITA!

maternitart

I am someone who chooses to feel good about myself, I am slowly dropping a few lbs as I'd prefer to be a 12 perhaps, but im very hourglass, big boobs and childbearing hips and my h2b is crazy for my curves so honestly, while im intending to loose a little im certainly not dieting like mad or stressing over it.. As long as my dress flatters and suits and I feel amazing in it.mi couldn't care less what actual size it is....but my point is that so far, I haven't even managed to get some dresses past my thighs because its a size 8/10/12 .....!

megsmouse Tue 23-Jul-13 08:49:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WilsonFrickett Tue 23-Jul-13 08:41:23

Goodness, do bridal shops still do this? I had an awful time in one shop when I was dress shopping (was a busty 12) but it was 15 years ago! I thought they would have got their act together by now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now