Findings suggest baby spending overnights away from mum CAN be harmful...

(191 Posts)
fabergeegg Mon 22-Jul-13 21:19:14

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/07/130719083611.htm

Not strictly an AIBU but relevant to many threads on this board. What a relief for so many of us to have evidence that we're not being selfish when resisting overnight custody arrangements for our tiny offspring - or even overnights with grandparents on their own for that matter.

lookmaw I wouldn't worry tis bollocks and as an extensive sample of one smile ds is fab and we have a great relationship

nice edam nice....

MalcolmTuckersMum Mon 22-Jul-13 22:12:28

Fuck worra - is THIS why I'm always hanging around street corners selling drugs and knocked off gear? It's my Mum's fault isn't it? I'm going to go butcher the cow now - I'm on my way as we speak!

Salmotrutta Mon 22-Jul-13 22:12:50

It might not be bible-bashing but I'd bet my bottom dollar it's ultra right wing though...

smile

threefeethighandrising Mon 22-Jul-13 22:13:24

fabergeegg I don't have time to read about the study now, but will in the morning, thanks for posting.

Edam, insightful post, thanks also, interesting reading.

TheCutOfYourJib Mon 22-Jul-13 22:15:47

So my born at 26 weeks ds, who had to spend every night alone for the first 3 months of his life in scbu is going to be seriously screwed up???

Sheshelob Mon 22-Jul-13 22:15:48

My 20 month old is a subscriber to The Journal of Marriage and Family. All is lost.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Mon 22-Jul-13 22:16:10

They only looked at low income, mainly ethnic minority families in US inner cities.

Yeah 'confounding factors' anyone?

What a load of rubbish in the OP to try and extrapolate a paper about custody and overnights with non-resident parents in another country into a WOHM / SAHM bunfight.

thecatfromjapan Mon 22-Jul-13 22:16:13

I can't think straight - the heat is affecting me - but i just want to say that it is always a delight to read your posts, Edam. Your flexibility of mind, and humanity always cheer me up.

KobayashiMaru Mon 22-Jul-13 22:16:31

I can't get it through my uni access, its not accredited by our portal.

Salmotrutta Mon 22-Jul-13 22:17:09

Precisely Kobayashi - hardly a cross section of society.

scottishmummy Mon 22-Jul-13 22:18:02

You're overstating one study.you seem to have an agenda given you think nursery wrong
Attachment theory generally is that if care is consistent,warm then child can attach to parent and family
I genuinely can't see an overnight stay with loving grandparents being problematic

thecatfromjapan Mon 22-Jul-13 22:18:14

Seriously, people, is it possible to discuss something, without immediately adopting an inflexible pro- or anti- position?

Salmotrutta Mon 22-Jul-13 22:18:18

You mean your University isn't rushing to subscribe to... The Journal of Marriage and Family??!! shock

Salmotrutta Mon 22-Jul-13 22:19:51

Sheshelob - give up now. It's too late sad

One flawed study!

i'll be booking my DCs in for therapy tomorrow.hmm

thecatfromjapan Mon 22-Jul-13 22:20:19

erm, tondelay, the OP made a clear link to residency issues. I think it was Worra who started the (strange, really) link to WOHM/SAHM stuff.

catgirl1976 Mon 22-Jul-13 22:20:26

Lots of things can be harmful

Especially if you are looking for evidence of that harm via a rather flawed study

I fucking hate bad science. Please stop linking to it. Ta.

flippinada Mon 22-Jul-13 22:20:30

My son's had it then - I was hospitalised with severe PND and spent more than a few nights away from him.

He seems ok now but who knows what damage I've inflicted with my selfish illness?

McNewPants2013 Mon 22-Jul-13 22:20:31

TheCutOfYourJib your DC is doomed smile

McNewPants2013 Mon 22-Jul-13 22:22:37

I really can't see how 1 night away from a loving mother to another person who loves the baby as harmful.

scottishmummy Mon 22-Jul-13 22:22:43

The journal of marriage and wimmin know your place, hell im no likely to subscribe to that

Salmotrutta Mon 22-Jul-13 22:23:23

And scottishmummy is right - attachment theory does subscribe to the view that love and care given by key people provides a child with sense of security.

flippinada Mon 22-Jul-13 22:24:48

Sorry that was a bit snippy. It just strikes me that this is yet another piece of thinly veiled mother-bashing disguised as a study.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now