To despair at the price of pubic transport?

(34 Posts)
LoverOfTheLight Mon 22-Jul-13 18:17:47

My friend has checked prices from Glasgow - Inverness on the train and for her and her husband it's £150.00 return. If she had a car she could fill her tank for £60.00 and that's for return journey too. I know this because I done the journey recently.

It's bloody shocking. Surely we should be encouraged to use public transport?

JsOtherHalf Mon 22-Jul-13 19:57:49

Moneysavingexpert has an excellent article on how to get cheap train fares:
www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-train-tickets

LoverOfTheLight Mon 22-Jul-13 19:12:01

Cheapest I'm getting is £50.50 too. Bit cheaper at least.

LoverOfTheLight Mon 22-Jul-13 19:03:33

Fair enough, I'm approx 30 miles south of Inverness and drove to Glasgow recently. It was £70 not £60, apologies. I put £40 in to get me there and topped up another £30 to take me to 3/4 of a tank. Still a good difference.

JosiePosiePuddingAndPie Mon 22-Jul-13 18:59:49

The company milage rate is 45p per mile because that's what it costs you on average to run your car for a mile, not because your employer wants to give you free money! So £153 for the round trip... That's the same as the train fare you quoted.

lljkk Mon 22-Jul-13 18:58:20

Typical running costs on modern small petrol car is close to 25p/mile. So that would suggest £85. The real cost will probably be somewhere between £85 & £150, anyway.

booking ahead is always cheaper. getting singles tend to be cheaper too. also when dh and i visit my dm, dh regularly checks what it costs to get to each station on the way (ie, instead of singles from newcastle to brighton... he will get singles from newcastle-birmingham birmingham-oxford oxford-brighton *please note i have no idea of the route from newcastle-brighton wink )

we can get single tickets (with booked seats) for £10-£12 each... instead of the £60-£80+ each

lljkk Mon 22-Jul-13 18:54:30

Okay, taking things seriously:
Glasgow to Inverness is 340 miles by car (roundtrip).
It's easy to think of that as just £60, but the real cost with wear & tear on your car is probably around £150 (2.5x as much as the petrol cost).
That's without counting something like insurance or depreciation, but obviously those are incurred as long as you own the car at all.
Plus it's a more dangerous mode of transport and you can't work while driving.
or trim the lady garden even.

GinOnTwoWheels Mon 22-Jul-13 18:54:14

*Yes but to fill the tank for £60 she would also have to buy the car, tax it, insure it, maintain it.

So £60 isn't the true cost.*

Problem is that to put a car on the road, you have already paid about 80% of the cost of having it and running it. So you might as well use the car if you have one. You also have the added advantage of being taken door to door at the time you want to and the ease of carrying luggage.

And if you are unexpectedly delayed, you car won't turn into a useless piece of paper, unlike a booked in advance train ticket.

As well as being extortionatley overpriced, in my experience, public transport is generally slow and unreliable. And I don't think I have ever met a bus driver who is not rude and unpleasant. <waits for hordes of mumsnetters to wade in protesting that they/their DH/cousin's grandson is a bus driver and is lovely to all their passengers>

For public transport to be a realistic alternative to private cars, it needs to be more reliable, more frequent and much cheaper. In particular, fares need to the same whether you buy on the day or 3 months in advance. It's no good having to book weeks/months in advance in order to get a reasonable price. What happens if plans change?

MrsKwazii Mon 22-Jul-13 18:52:01

If you travel at peak times they really do have you by the short and curlies grin

LoverOfTheLight Mon 22-Jul-13 18:49:18

She said the bus was a fiver cheaper. I said I'd have a look too. She's not bothered travelling by bus, just a bit quicker by train. I'll have a look.

jkklpu Mon 22-Jul-13 18:46:42

is that with booking ahead and using any possible discount to which they might be entitled?

Dejected Mon 22-Jul-13 18:44:48

Try megabus.com or do they really want to travel by train?

ReginaPhilangie Mon 22-Jul-13 18:40:36

YANBU. The cost of bus fares in my city is ridiculous. For me, DH and 2 dds to go into the city centre it would cost £15 in bus fare there and back. Or we could get taxis which would cost £10 (there and back). Or just pay for parking which would be around £6 and petrol would only be around 50p. How can that be more economical? confused

Love the title btw.

TheFallenNinja Mon 22-Jul-13 18:40:32

I've just checked, an off peak return is £50.40

LifeofPo Mon 22-Jul-13 18:38:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LoverOfTheLight Mon 22-Jul-13 18:38:32

I know there's some explanation for it but I didn't think it'd be that expensive. I just want to see my friend.

The replies to my typo are making me laugh though grin

stargirl1701 Mon 22-Jul-13 18:36:47

Sunshine gringringrin

TheFallenNinja Mon 22-Jul-13 18:36:28

Yes but to fill the tank for £60 she would also have to buy the car, tax it, insure it, maintain it.

So £60 isn't the true cost.

missmarplestmarymead Mon 22-Jul-13 18:31:45

I think it gives the lie to all the nonsense surrounding green issues, which only seems to mean that we must pay more taxes for the sake of the environment. All seems hollow when the very things that would be green-more of us using public transport and not building any more runways-are happily thrown aside.

If one were to be an unkind cynic, one might almost be tempted to say that the green issue is nothing more than a monumental con or, at they very least, hyped beyond all reason in order to grab more taxes.

CitrusSunshine Mon 22-Jul-13 18:28:24

I could spend ages waxing lyrical about the hair-raising cost of trains. Couldn't your friend catch a bush instead?

Sorry OP wink

ClaraOswald Mon 22-Jul-13 18:26:41

Pubic transport is ridiculously expensive.

grin

Solari Mon 22-Jul-13 18:25:54

Pubic transport sounds rather... thrilling! grin

stargirl1701 Mon 22-Jul-13 18:25:31

Oh, just too funny! grin OP, you have cheered me up!

expatinscotland Mon 22-Jul-13 18:25:25

The cost of all that free and nearly free transport for anyone 60+ factors into it.

TabithaStephens Mon 22-Jul-13 18:23:25

Trains are expensive to run. Rail firms have to pay for the maintenance of the railway lines, plus staff etc. It's always going to be cheaper to drive yourself than to travel by train.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now