To be slightly worried that i will never get a job?

(38 Posts)
KateSpade Mon 22-Jul-13 17:02:26

I have just finished my degree (May) and left with the verbal promise of a job, a very junior role in the field i wanted to go in, fantastic, however a few weeks later they turned me down as 'my lifestyle didn't fit in with the job' (which meant my DD, as they had previously expressed their concerns via telephone)

So, i know it is only July, but since then i haven't had a single interview, not one.

Im just stressing so much that i will never be able to get a job in my field, which i have spent four years training to do & want to do so much!

Positive messages of inspiration/encouragement welcome! sad

Viviennemary Mon 22-Jul-13 19:33:37

It was discrimination on their part and quite possibly illegal what they did. Did you get the offer of a job in writing.

KateSpade Mon 22-Jul-13 20:08:34

No, it was all verbal. Thats what made it so hard to do anything about it.

exoticfruits Mon 22-Jul-13 22:14:03

It was in the news that a lot of universities won't advertise any more.

I am sorry not to be positive but I am telling it as it is-we have just lived through 13 months of it! The fact that he has got a good job in the end shows there was nothing wrong with his qualifications-there just happen to be too many people chasing too few jobs. Since DS was applying on line it showed how many applications-treble figures for every job.

You just have to plug away and try not to get discouraged -it can be done. Good luck-hope it turns up for you.

Beastofburden Tue 23-Jul-13 10:23:49

have you thought of doing what they call "information interviews"? It's a good way to find out exactly what works and what doesn't when finding a job. Have a look at http://www.careers.ox.ac.uk/searching-for-work/information-interviews/

KateSpade Tue 23-Jul-13 13:38:38

I know, exotic I don't know what else I was expecting to be honest! Treble figures, I did not think about!

& Thankyou beast I will take a look!

exoticfruits Tue 23-Jul-13 15:19:56

I feel very mean about it but it is no help to not speak the truth. You are coming out at the worst possible time, as was DS. A friends DS with a Maths degree, just graduated, was told 60 people per job at his level.
Someone has to get them- don't give up. I hope it works out for you.

KateSpade Tue 23-Jul-13 19:34:30

Aw, thank you very much! smile

exoticfruits Tue 23-Jul-13 19:44:41

On a positive note- networking is the way to go. Are you on LinkedIn?

Reality Tue 23-Jul-13 19:46:15

You WILL get a job.

Spin everything into a positive, don't give up hope, and keep applying.

I have three DC and I am returning to 'work' work after being a CM for many years and a SAHM before that. I had two succesful rounds of interviews (from about 40 applications in the end), one company really wanted me (so they said) but couldn't create a vacancy for me, and the I have just accepted the other (better) job.

I was very upfront about having children but made a point of bringing up my cast iron childcare arrangements, DH's flexible working hours, my supportive family. I think this helped. Even if this isn't strictly true for you (it is for me, I'm very fortunate with this, I know), you can spin it.

You have everything on your side: experience, qualifications, intelligence, drive. It will happen for you.

HairyGrotter Tue 23-Jul-13 19:46:34

I too graduated in May, and I've applied for over 70 jobs, not a sniff of an interview. It's dire, especially as prior to DD and my degree, I could get interviews and new roles a plenty!

Keep at it, may the odds be in our favour (eventually)!

exoticfruits Tue 23-Jul-13 19:55:28

Have you looked at the site 'per people per hour?' You could possibly go freelance while you are looking with the advantage you could do it at home and add to your CV?

exoticfruits Tue 23-Jul-13 20:02:25

I am a bit hazy about what you actually want to do,but would getting involved with something like the costume side of amateur dramatics help?
I appreciate that you desperately need a job with pay but DS found that using his talents for charities gave him additional things for his CV and widened his circle- you never know where a new person will lead. It is all about connections.
Having said all that DS just had an interview out of the blue, with no connections, and got it. There is a huge element of luck too- no reason why it shouldn't come your way!

KateSpade Wed 24-Jul-13 13:49:44

me too hairygrotter i always had a job before and during university! now nothing!

Thats a good idea exotic i will look into that, as I'm sure it will be helpful experience!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now