7yr old bumping and grinding at a kids' disco

(55 Posts)

Hello

AIBU to be totally shock at what I witnessed at the weekend. DS was at a disco birthday party for 5-7yr olds. There was a lad there who had taken his t.shirt off (fair enough... a lot of the boys had as it was about 1,000 degrees in there), had pulled his shorts to below his bum cheeks so his whole backside was hanging out (and the front as well), and was bumping and grinding away to all the songs. There was a lot of thrusting, swivelling and sticking out of bottom. He's 7. His mum had gone, so there was no adult who could really deal with it.

He also poured a cup of water over his head, watched one of the mums clear up the puddle, and then did it again. Later he was dropping crisps on the floor and stomping on them. A bit later again he was doing gangsta moves... really quite scary stuff! Loads of the other boys were trying to copy him.

Not sure what point I'm making really. If I'd been his mum and had seen that when I came to pick him up again I'd have gone toto! But should one of us gone and had a quiet word? Friends and I were mostly shock and a bit hmm, but a couple thought it was all pretty harmless (which amazed me!). I'm not sure what on earth he must have watched to pick up those moves!

MrsMelons Mon 22-Jul-13 17:32:42

And yes it is just dancing, I think people need to lighten up but I would object to the 'stripping' or bumping/grinding with other children not just dancing on their own iyswim

MrsMelons Mon 22-Jul-13 17:30:52

I ran a Y2 disco with some other parents recently and we told the DCs if they were OTT with the inappropriate moves etc, their parents weren't there but I would have no issues saying something to a 7 yo behaving like that, I actually find it a bit odd no one felt they could say something.

Chopstheduck Mon 22-Jul-13 16:44:18

I agree that it is simply dancing. My ds1 has sn, LOVEs performing, doesn't give a shit what anyone thinks. He copied the dance to "I'm sexy and I know it' on stage. The teacher drew the line at him stripping, but he did the dancing.

The HT turned puce with rage and stormed out with the governer in tow [sigh]

Ds1 was the talk of school though, and rather proud of himself!

imademarion Mon 22-Jul-13 16:42:14

I am still word perfect on 'Billy Don't be a Hero.'

I thought it was Deep.

It still makes me snivel.'

pollywollydoodle Mon 22-Jul-13 16:38:13

oh yes they called him the streak, eeeeeeeeeep! grin

valiumredhead Mon 22-Jul-13 16:24:59

Not too long ago that everyone was wearing a silver glove, cocking their hats and grabbing their crotches!

ArtexMonkey Mon 22-Jul-13 16:24:10

My 3 yo ds was twerking the other day <proud> he was nuddy too because it was 57 million degrees.

valiumredhead Mon 22-Jul-13 16:23:17

What boomba said. Welcome to ks 2grin

teaforthree Mon 22-Jul-13 16:21:04

What's krumping?! Is that like trumping with gangsta krumpets? What's bumping and grinding? I need to start watching this MTV shizzle...

We used to dance to 'sex on the beach' at school grin

usualsuspect Mon 22-Jul-13 16:16:00

Remembers 'my ding a ling'

pollywollydoodle Mon 22-Jul-13 16:11:50

remembers "little willie willie won't go home ....." wink

Oh thanks tatty. It wasn't a school disco though it was a birthday party.

TattyDevine Mon 22-Jul-13 16:07:22

By the way, a concern form, or incident form etc does not necessarily go further; but if various incidents or concerns lodged by members of staff add up to a worrying picture, as judged by the member of staff in charge of safeguarding, then they know what avenues to explore to take it further and its out of your hands.

TattyDevine Mon 22-Jul-13 16:05:33

If you are really bothered by this, mention it to the head teacher, and if he or she has a concern, they are legally obliged to lodge a "concern" form under safeguarding policy. If there is a behavioural or inappropriate conduct issue with this child it is likely there have already been concern forms filled in and it is being kept an eye on.

foofooyeah Mon 22-Jul-13 16:03:56

so now I am sitting at my desk singing 'wigwam bam' which is a bit wrong, pople will think I have the giddy goat

imademarion Mon 22-Jul-13 15:50:08

Or when we pranced about pretending to be pans people [old]

I sometimes threaten to revive the entire routine I made up to 'Save your kisses for me' that blew away Tawny Owl at our Brownie disco summer 1975 [christ, even older]

WilsonFrickett Mon 22-Jul-13 15:42:00

Artex have you heard the lyrics to Wigwam Bam? They are rude! And as for the coreographed dance routine to 'try a little touch, try a little too much...' shock

usualsuspect Mon 22-Jul-13 15:41:55

Or when we pranced about pretending to be pans people [old]

OKnotOK Mon 22-Jul-13 15:39:09

When i saw the thread title all i could think of was
"Big Fat Gypsy Kids Disco"grin

ArtexMonkey Mon 22-Jul-13 15:38:17

Life was so much simpler when it was all Wigwam Bam or jumping off chairs to Superman....

maja00 Mon 22-Jul-13 15:32:48

I would be really unhappy if my 7 year old went to disco and no adults were prepared to take responsibility! That is really shocking.

As an adult there, why didn't you make him pull his trousers up? Really, really weird that a load of adults just stood round watching a child dancing half-naked. Really inappropriate.

pollywollydoodle Mon 22-Jul-13 15:32:31

do goats get giddier as they get warmer? I have visions of whole herds plumetting from mountain crags...

FreudiansSlipper Mon 22-Jul-13 15:26:18

i expected ds school disco to be playing katy perry pop crap but it was full hardcore house with a few heavy rock anthems and of course that fucking awful song

still ds and his friends loved waving their glow sticks and busting a move hmm he is 5

it took me back to my raving days grin

That you for the blessing usualsuspect. I am going to put a cool flannel on my forehead and try to erase the visions of bumping and grinding and goats from my brain.

usualsuspect Mon 22-Jul-13 15:21:20

Bless you,Farewell.

I think the heat has us all acting the giddy goat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now