To believe my dd can see these weird things?

(59 Posts)
Doubtfuldaphne Mon 22-Jul-13 13:32:20

Last week I moved house to a cottage ins small Saxon town. Think one pub, one shop, lots of history
It's the first time we've moved and she is only 2.5 so its a lot for her to get her head round
She generally seems very excited and happy to have a lovely new big bedroom
However almost straight away she's started saying there's blood on the window. She pointed to a specific spot on the lounge window. She talks about it a lot and says its red!
Now it's on the upstairs windows and tells everyone about it! First we thought she said bird but she adamant it's blood.
Firstly how on earth does she know the word blood and that its red? The only tv she's seen is cbeebies and the tv is hardly ever on.
This is baffling me.

ElizabethHornswoggle Mon 22-Jul-13 14:25:16

I'm usually cynical about these types of things, but how do you explain away stories like this poster if real?! <shudder>

When he was a toddler, my DB saw my dead grandmother on the spot she committed suicide 2 years before he was born and told my parents she'd said hello and that everything would be okay. They didn't tell us where or how she'd died until we were older teenagers - that's when my DM told me that story. Spooky...

YoniBottsBumgina Mon 22-Jul-13 14:37:30

I do think some small children can see things that we aren't always aware of but I don't know if this is the case here.

Doubtfuldaphne Mon 22-Jul-13 14:48:26

Well I have to admit my son who is 12 has occasionally played zombie games on his pc so she's probably seen blood there if he's let her see the game. I really need to clamp down on my ds playing these things!
But why Its at the window still confuses me.

ElizabethHornswoggle Mon 22-Jul-13 14:53:03

Well I have to admit my son who is 12 has occasionally played zombie games on his pc so she's probably seen blood there if he's let her see the game.

Well, there you go then - you've just answered your own bloomin' question! She DOES know blood then!

Hamwidge Mon 22-Jul-13 15:01:37

At the same age as your dd, my dd used to get very upset when we visited one of my friends' house. She would point out of the window into the garden and say "please bring the baby inside mummy she's crying!" She could see a baby in a pram in the garden. This happened every time and she would get increasingly distressed that I couldn't bring the baby in from the cold.

Very weird.

cory Mon 22-Jul-13 15:23:31

ElizabethHornswoggle Mon 22-Jul-13 14:25:16
"I'm usually cynical about these types of things, but how do you explain away stories like this poster if real?! <shudder>

When he was a toddler, my DB saw my dead grandmother on the spot she committed suicide 2 years before he was born and told my parents she'd said hello and that everything would be okay. "

I would need a recording of that conversation to know how much the toddler db actually said, how much he said unprompted, how much of the gaps was filled in by adult interpretation, how much he was influenced by the reactions of the adult to his initial statement and how much the story has grown in the retelling. There is a good reason why hearsay evidence is not admissible in court.

Listening over the years to MIL retelling incidents at which I was present has given me a good idea of how easily gaps are filled out in later retelling. And how stereotypical some of those fillings are.

Many of our dc have had pretend friends. They have gauged from our reactions that there is nothing very scary or emotional about it but that to grown-ups pretend friends are cute and amusing but not really real, and they have accepted that in the long run pretend friends are just that- pretend. If instead we gave a very strong reaction, got emotional or upset, started asking "did she look like this?", "what did she say", we might well get a different response.

curlew Mon 22-Jul-13 15:33:14

I still don't know why a 2.5 year old wouldn't know what blood is, even if she's never seen a zombie game!

curlew Mon 22-Jul-13 15:34:21

This is one of the ways woo stories grow. Start from a false assumption- like, for example, that a 2.5 year old couldn't possibly know what blood is.- and build from there.

ANormalOne Mon 22-Jul-13 15:37:01

There's always a rational explanation, no need to jump to woo and the supernatural.

KinkyDorito Mon 22-Jul-13 15:44:05

cory I would be interested in that too. But it was something my parents never discussed and it was several years after it happened. We were always told she died in hospital of cancer. They stuck to this line like glue until I happened to find her death certificate as a teenager doing a family history project. When DB 'saw' her on the beach (she drowned herself because of complications with cancer and not being able to cope anymore sad), we would all have been there at the time and I would have been 8. I don't remember him saying it as we would have paid him no heed. My DM does though as she was so unnerved by it. I can't believe they would have been talking about her down there at all, whether about her killing herself or just about her generally - it was so long after her death and her suicide was a buried secret. As I said, I am very cynical, but my DM is a very matter-of-fact person and she was taken aback by it.

Like you say, it would never stand up in court. DB doesn't remember it and thinks it's all rubbish! grin

AmyFarrahFowlerCooper Mon 22-Jul-13 15:56:27

The thing that I always think about woo stories like seeing people who have died where they died is how many other times did he say he saw your grandma but this one sticks in your parents mind because by chance he said it at the beach where she died. He probably said it in other places too but that gets forgotten because it isn't as emotive. Its like "psychics" who cold read and throw out lots of suggestions and people only remember the one that fits and leave thinking the "psychic" is amazing.

Owllady Mon 22-Jul-13 16:37:56

I don't know and you can all laugh again, but do think some people are more attuned to this kind of thing. I had quite a few experiences throughout my own childhood of seeing things and people. I am sure some may have been very vivid dreams though as my late sister was very poorly when was growing up and no-one talked to me about it (and I wasn't allowed to show emotion about it either) and I think the worry/confusion and upset came out in other ways iykwim. I can't explain all the things though

Annakin31 Mon 22-Jul-13 17:05:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

allbie Mon 22-Jul-13 17:19:17

As long as she doesn't start saying redrum over and over!

noblegiraffe Mon 22-Jul-13 17:23:16

My three year old has imaginary friends, asked me if grandma and grandad were dead (no) and says he is scared of a mark on the radiator.

Kids come out with all sorts of weird crap, it's us that assign meaning to it.

Stuff and nonsense.

WorraLiberty Mon 22-Jul-13 17:53:33

See I don't know what the 'Saxon town' and 'lots of history' has to do with it OP?

Other than to make me think that you love a good 'ghost' story.

People die absolutely everywhere...every single day in many different places.

Perhaps she's going on about it because you're giving her attention?

SixPackWellies Mon 22-Jul-13 17:58:27

Well, I love a good ghost story.

I have told this story many times, but the first Xmas that DC1 was alive, I got up early (5 am) to do the turkey. DH was sleeping in. The only people in the house was me, DC1 and DH.

There was a funny smell in the house. All morning I was smelling it, and did not know what it was. When DH finally woke up at about 8 I asked him 'what is that smell?'

His reply- 'It is my mother's perfume.'

His Mother had died 10 years before.

misterioso Mon 22-Jul-13 18:03:07

I would believe her, or even if you don't want to believe people can see these things, do it for her.

Betternc4this Mon 22-Jul-13 18:09:13

My DD aged 2 at the time went along a row of photos on her great aunts sideboard naming most of the people still living and asking who the rest were as she went along. She had never been to the house before and no-one else had copies in the family.

She then came to a pic of my late uncle - died years before she was born and committed suicide so hardly spoken about per se , let alone to a two yr old.

She very casually said 'that's Mylateunclesname' and was corrected by my aunt telling her she must be mistaking him for a younger member of the family called after him.

'No' she retorted indignantly, that's 'Mylateunclesname' who lived here and you are sat in his chair !' whilst pointing at my aunt who was sat in the armchair where my late uncle always sat and would always eject my aunt out of it if ever she sat there grin

Betternc4this Mon 22-Jul-13 18:11:16

Just meant to add, on visiting some years later she had no clue who the man in the photo was.

misterioso Mon 22-Jul-13 18:22:27

My mum and dad died 5/6 years ago.
Last year my mil and fil were in dds room
dd was in bed and mil reading a bedtime story and fil listening.
Mil says she saw a mist all round the bed, she is quite sensitive to peoples moods etc.
Then dd said to mil, why is all the smoke in my room. Fil couldn't see it and both mil and fil came downstairs, mil as white as a ghost.
People have noticed a shadow mist over dds bed which moves across the room from her wardrobe.
DD is oblivious to this, apart from the mist incidence, we told her it was steam from the bathroom. but always sings to nanna and grandad, kisses a memory stone and says a prayer for them.

Doubtfuldaphne Mon 22-Jul-13 18:26:31

Haha! I have asked my dd if she knows anyone called tony but luckily not.
I mentioned it being a Saxon town etc and I have no idea why! Maybe to show its a creepy place. I tell myself I'm not a believer but the fact I wrote that shows I'm secretly a bit woo after all.

bbcessex Mon 22-Jul-13 18:36:33

When my son was 3 he used to sit chattering away to 'someone' in his room, who apparently was called Bertie.. Bertie apparently lived in our house when there was no bathroom and other eople lived do had lived downstairs that Bertie didn't know.

Our house was a biggish Victorian conversion and didn't have a bathroom.etc when it was built.. something that DS would of course never known. He was very happy to chat to Bertie tho!

8dayweek Mon 22-Jul-13 18:48:55

Have you considered taking her to have her eyes tested? In older people spots / marks etc in their line of sight can be a sign of cataracts or small heomorrages at the back of the eye, neither of which are completely unheard in children. If she's looking out at a pale blue sky it could highlight it more than if she were looking at a multi-coloured tv screen IYSWIM.
Or, is it possible she's perhaps staring towards the sun, which after a while is leaving red "shadow" in her line of sight, that appears to be on the window pane?
I don't want to worry you or anything like that I'm just trying to think of possible, logical answers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now