To believe my dd can see these weird things?

(59 Posts)
Doubtfuldaphne Mon 22-Jul-13 13:32:20

Last week I moved house to a cottage ins small Saxon town. Think one pub, one shop, lots of history
It's the first time we've moved and she is only 2.5 so its a lot for her to get her head round
She generally seems very excited and happy to have a lovely new big bedroom
However almost straight away she's started saying there's blood on the window. She pointed to a specific spot on the lounge window. She talks about it a lot and says its red!
Now it's on the upstairs windows and tells everyone about it! First we thought she said bird but she adamant it's blood.
Firstly how on earth does she know the word blood and that its red? The only tv she's seen is cbeebies and the tv is hardly ever on.
This is baffling me.

TheDeadlyDonkey Mon 22-Jul-13 13:35:10

She sees dead people.
Only logical explanation.

YoniBottsBumgina Mon 22-Jul-13 13:38:17

Has she ever fallen and grazed her knee or cut herself or seen anyone else do it?

Even if she can see some sort of ghostly blood, seeing blood (that nobody else can see) doesn't magically tell you what blood is. She would probably think it was paint or tomato sauce or something.

Also she might just be saying it because she got a slightly freaked out reaction the first time - DS went through a phase of going up to people and saying "knife!" because DP freaked out when he did it. He's stopped now and has never shown any desire to actually stab anybody. It's just adults putting horror film interpretations onto the random things small children sometimes say.

StuntGirl Mon 22-Jul-13 13:41:17

She knows its there because it was her who killed the previous owners and buried them under the village green. She's toying with you now, letting you know exactly what she's capable of. Don't cross her...

Owllady Mon 22-Jul-13 13:41:38

Well I am a weirdo because I do actually think young children do see stuff or they have very powerful imaginations and think things are real. My eldest son at a similar age to your dd was convinced a man used to come and sit with him who was his grandad and he described the man in detail and it was a description of my late FIL of who we had no photos of, had not talked about to him as he was too young etc. It freaked me out a bit anyway!

TimeofChange Mon 22-Jul-13 13:41:56

Young children often see spirits (ghosts).
They may loose this ability as they get older.

Children often see a relative, who has passed, sitting at the end of their bed.

Most spirits will not cause any problems, but if the spirits become troublesome then contact your local Spiritualist Church and they will come round and ask them to leave.

I think they are better than the RCs or CoEs at doing it.

You will now have a many posters telling you that it is your DDs imagination and that I am mad!

Owllady Mon 22-Jul-13 13:42:02

you can all laugh at me now blush

TimeofChange Mon 22-Jul-13 13:43:13

Interesting Cross post with Owllady

curlew Mon 22-Jul-13 13:44:15

She's 2.5 and she's never seen blood? Really? Is she wrapped in cotton wool at all times?

SnoopySnoopyDoggDogg Mon 22-Jul-13 13:45:35

I think what Yoni says is very sensible and most likely the best explanation, it's so easy to be freaked out when little ones come out with something unexpected because we are so saturated with horror films/violence/general scary stuff it's difficult to remember that they are not (yet) exposed to this and their minds ramble about all over the place. What comes out of their mouths is usually quite random but makes perfect sense to them.

My dd1 made me worry a bit the other day, telling me she "didn't like that man" and when pressed said "he tried to cuddle me. I don't like him" I got worried but after lots of gentle questions it turned out she'd taken a dislike to Martin Clunes on the TV (we were watching Doc Martin, not sure what he'd actually done offend her though) and that she was tired and wanted me to give her a cuddle. Confusing but we got there in the end!

curlew Mon 22-Jul-13 13:45:42

"Young children often see spirits (ghosts).
They may loose this ability as they get older."

Young children have very vivid imaginations and love to pretend. They lose interest in doing this, or at least, talking about it, as they get older.

SnoopySnoopyDoggDogg Mon 22-Jul-13 13:48:48

I am also hoping that the logical explanation is the right one as I am a humungous wimp and terrified of everything. owllady and TimeofChange I'm definitely not laughing but I am determindly pretending I didn't read your posts.

<wimp emoticon>

Noideaatall Mon 22-Jul-13 13:49:14

my partner claims he saw ghosts when he was younger. He says it was scary & he knew no one would believe him so he didn't tell anyone. At least your daughter is confident you won't mock her!

StuntGirl Mon 22-Jul-13 13:50:22

Don't worry owllady, we're all too busy laughing at time instead grin

DiseasesOfTheSheep Mon 22-Jul-13 13:52:46

DS went through a phase of going up to people and saying "knife!" because DP freaked out when he did it. He's stopped now and has never shown any desire to actually stab anybody

Sorry, but I found that hilarious... The thought of a small boy going up to people and saying, sinisterly "knife" grin

I'm glad he's not a psycho though, obviously!

TimeofChange Mon 22-Jul-13 13:53:37

If you believe that there is nothing beyond death, then it will be illogical to think that spirits exist.
That doesn't prove that they don't exist though.

ksrwr Mon 22-Jul-13 13:54:11

have you got down to her level and looked through those windows to see if there are any red buildings or anything that she can see through the window?
just an idea....

but sometimes something happens once, and they tell you over and over... so maybe she once saw some blood on a window and she's just retelling the story? my dd does this... she tells me every day this one particular boy at her nursery pushed her, he pushed her once, ages ago, but she retells it all the time!

DeWe Mon 22-Jul-13 13:55:00

Dd2 used to see "jagulars" sitting in trees between the age of about 20 months and 3years old. She completely freaked out a lady on the bus by describing in great detail the jagular that was following us.
I had to explain she'd recently watched Winnie the Pooh. grin

She still has a great imagination aged 9yo. She uses it now to explain why it wasn't her who managed to pick the paint off the ceiling above her bed, and why it wasn't her who carved her name into the bannister. hmm

StuntGirl Mon 22-Jul-13 13:55:59

And small children with over active imaginations doesn't prove they do either!

It was your authoritative, presenting it as a fact method of delivery that made me laugh, as if its all obviously absolutely, irrefutably true grin

KinkyDorito Mon 22-Jul-13 14:02:46

When he was a toddler, my DB saw my dead grandmother on the spot she committed suicide 2 years before he was born and told my parents she'd said hello and that everything would be okay. They didn't tell us where or how she'd died until we were older teenagers - that's when my DM told me that story. Spooky...

I was walking along a cliff path above Watergate Bay in Cornwall on holiday with DD when she was 2. She pointed to the edge and asked me what the lady was doing. There was no-one there and it was very innocently asked. We sped up a bit at that point!

She used to talk to 'shadow friends' (her name for them <shudder>) in her cot.

I am a cynical person but this stuff gives me the creeps. As long as your DD is not distressed by it I would play it down.

TimeofChange Mon 22-Jul-13 14:03:28

Stuntgirl: It is true.
I see them and so do others that I know.
No, we don't smoke waccy baccy.

I am very aware that people get very emotive over this too, but that's not my problem.

StuntGirl Mon 22-Jul-13 14:05:32

You can believe what you like Time, but that's all it is, belief. Neither of us can 'prove' our beliefs, which is why its belief and not fact.

cory Mon 22-Jul-13 14:13:35

Add message | Report | Message poster YoniBottsBumgina Mon 22-Jul-13 13:38:17

"Even if she can see some sort of ghostly blood, seeing blood (that nobody else can see) doesn't magically tell you what blood is. She would probably think it was paint or tomato sauce or something."

This. The very fact that she specifically uses the word blood shows that at some older person (in RL or on the telly) has indeed taught her about blood. So unless you take this as evidence that a ghostly person (whom she does not mention) turned up and informed her that this red substance is called blood, I think this is pretty good proof that she has got the whole idea from elsewhere and not from seeing something previously unknown on the window.

I have no idea whether ghosts exist or not. But this particular story suggests something else completely.

scottishmummy Mon 22-Jul-13 14:20:16

She knows word blood from anytime she,you,friend has cut/graze,or a book
Kids assimilate info from numerous sources not just cbeebies.fact she know blood red proves nowt
Snow White cut her finger there blood,any DVD.please dont woo this into something it isnt

YouTheCat Mon 22-Jul-13 14:21:50

Get your windows cleaned and have her eyes tested.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now