Not interested in the royal baby? You're cold and uncaring

(87 Posts)

Or so I was told by a friend this morning. I was bemoaning the seemingly endless media coverage and the fact that real news stories are barely being touched on.

When I said that I have no interest in the baby and couldn't care less about it (beyond hoping that mother and baby are healthy, as I do for all births) she accused me of being cold, unfeeling and uncaring, saying that she would never say she "couldn't care less" about anyone, whether she knew them or not and that the royal baby is special and everyone should celebrate its birth.

Is she overreacting or am I BU and a heartless cow?

exexpat Mon 22-Jul-13 14:15:14

Given the longevity of the royal family, will any of us still be alive and caring by the time this baby becomes head of state?

The Queen is 87 and still going strong; Prince Charles is 64 and still waiting his turn. William looks like quite a strong, healthy sort - good for another 60 years or so, I'd say, by which time I'll be well over 100, or more likely dead. Not worth getting excited about the possible next monarch but two, IMO.

The British royal family also has lots of spares already, unlike the Japanese imperial family which faced a real succession crisis for a while, until the wife of the crown prince's younger brother popped out the first boy for decades.

And again, I say meh. Or bah humbug. Or whatever.

josephinebruce Mon 22-Jul-13 14:37:36

Don't care about babies.
Don't care about spoiled, smug women who have never done a day's work in their lives doing what millions of women do each year
Don't care enough about the Royal Family to even bother with the death threats.

And I am cold and heartless

I'm cold and heartless because every day for the past 6/7 months all I have heard about is a woman who I don't know, having a baby when I can't. Every time she is in public it is reported on the news and we are reminded sh has a baby bump by the flipping news reader. Now for months I'm going to have photos of he baby on the front of every magazine/paper etc. and it makes me feel a bit sad and a bit shit.

I must admit Inthebeginning, I was thinking that, this must be a very difficult time for anyone who cant have a child or who has lost a child.

thanks for you.

Your not cold and heartless either. x

ComposHat Mon 22-Jul-13 14:55:45

On another thread, someone described her as dilatey Katie, which made me laugh.

Personally couldn't give a shite, I'd only be interested if they called it Sh'diamond or something a bit street.

LookingForwardToMarch Mon 22-Jul-13 14:57:18

I wish the woman and her baby the best...

That said I'm in favour of the royals being abolished and couldn't give much of a shit about anybody I don't know.

(Well ok maybe suffering people I don't know but certainly not privilidged 'divine right' ones grin )

maillotjaune Mon 22-Jul-13 14:57:35

I'm not interested either. I'm glad I'm off work this week because when they got married I was called similar for saying I had no interest. Whatever.

josephinebruce Mon 22-Jul-13 15:06:00

My thoughts are with you inthebeginning - I'm in the same position and there are some people out there who just say that my grumpiness about all of this is because I am JEALOUS of her. FFS!!!!!

mignonette Mon 22-Jul-13 15:13:36

I took the day off when Diana visited the drugs rehab I worked in as a staff nurse.

Glad I did because the reports from patients/ staff regarding her self centred behaviour gave me the green rages....

Proud and out Republican here- and as for the tourism income argument, Versailles makes more money than all the UK royal attractions.....

I wish her a safe delivery as I would everyone but am disgusted and ashamed at the money, power (Charles influence via letters will eventually be revealed) and privilege accorded this shower simply by birth. The whole country has gone mad.

FunLovinBunster Mon 22-Jul-13 15:26:15

MEH.

I font care either.

Prince Harry naked? Yes that will get my attention but not someone having a baby

ishchel Mon 22-Jul-13 15:32:08

"Bread and Circuses" (from Latin: panem et circenses). A palliative to distract the masses from things that matter. Though I wish them like every new set of parents, the best.

mumofthemonsters808 Mon 22-Jul-13 15:33:56

No interest whatsoever , I hope they impose a reporting ban so that every aspect of this child's life does not fill my newspaper day in and day out. I will not be watching the news for several weeks because this first woman to have a baby story will dominate. The jubilee was bad enough but the next few weeks will be painful. If that makes me cold hearted so be it.

josephinebruce Mon 22-Jul-13 15:36:33

Made even more painful by the fact that the Jubilee was over in a few days. We're going to be stuck with hearing about this kid (and the others that will inevitably follow) forever.......

Thanks onestep thing that bugs me is its not him and her (I can just about cope with another pregnancy) it's the flaming media.
josephine thinking of you too. Tell anyone who says your jealous to fuck off. Infertility has been a learning curve about friendships for me!

josephinebruce Mon 22-Jul-13 17:56:08

Ha ha me too!!! Lost count of the amount of times I've been told "you wouldn't understand, you don't have children."

AntlersInAllOfMyDecorating Mon 22-Jul-13 18:31:08

500 years ago our (future) queens were mainly symbolic figures required largely to stay silent, dress well and give birth...

I have nothing against Kate or the royal baby, I wish them well... it disappoints however, that this is still largely the case in the 21st Century.

josephinebruce Mon 22-Jul-13 19:07:13

What do you want them to do? Rule us? Personally, however much I hate and despise our present govt, at least we voted them in.

Well not vote as much as allowed them to take office.

But would prefer David Cameron to bloody Prince Charles who is trying to get the bankrupt NHS to PAY for homeopathy!!! WTF planet does that man live on?

JakeBullet Mon 22-Jul-13 20:56:14

IT'S A BOY!

Now feel free to tell me to "fuck off". grin wink

Fuck off Jake

grin

Fb is annoying me now!

JakeBullet Mon 22-Jul-13 21:25:05

Yeah, have to admit it is becoming overkill now.i am pleased for them, they seem fairly "normal" but don't need any more company logos coming up with smarmy congrats al over the place.

'Like if you are proud of our Kate'

She ain't my Kate and she ain't your Kate!

strawberryswing Mon 22-Jul-13 21:35:25

It's definitely overkill! It's my dd's 1st birthday today and all attention should be on her instead grin

I wish her and baby well, as I would any other person, but apart from that I'm just not bothered. If that makes me cold then so be it smile

OP, are you me? smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now