Not interested in the royal baby? You're cold and uncaring

(87 Posts)

Or so I was told by a friend this morning. I was bemoaning the seemingly endless media coverage and the fact that real news stories are barely being touched on.

When I said that I have no interest in the baby and couldn't care less about it (beyond hoping that mother and baby are healthy, as I do for all births) she accused me of being cold, unfeeling and uncaring, saying that she would never say she "couldn't care less" about anyone, whether she knew them or not and that the royal baby is special and everyone should celebrate its birth.

Is she overreacting or am I BU and a heartless cow?

ouryve Mon 22-Jul-13 11:49:20

People have babies every day, FFS. Nice for Kate and William, but why should their offspring matter to you?

exexpat Mon 22-Jul-13 11:51:11

She's overreacting. If you're cold & heartless, so am I, and thousands/millions of others. By the time this baby gets anywhere near the throne (if the monarchy hasn't been abolished by then), I will probably be long dead (judging by the fact that its grandfather is still waiting for his go...) so I really could not care less.

In fact, I wish the whole internet had a 'republican?' button, as seen on the the Guardian's website today - click it (top right of masthead) and all the royal stuff goes away.

YouTheCat Mon 22-Jul-13 11:51:18

She's a twat.

Yes, we all wish mother and baby well and all that. The new baby is no more special than any other baby and will be born into extreme wealth and privilege.

I couldn't give a shit and wouldn't care for the opinion of someone who thinks that makes me uncaring or cold.

arabesque Mon 22-Jul-13 11:52:12

Your friend sounds like an idiot. There is a difference between not particularly caring about the ins and outs of some stranger's life and actually wishing them harm. Most of us don't particularly 'care' about the Royal Baby, we are just curious, will it be a boy or a gir;? What will they call it? etc. - and, obviously, hope as we would with any human that both mother and baby will be okay.

tmae Mon 22-Jul-13 11:53:37

She is overreacting! I care in the sense I hope it all goes well but I don't actually CARE about the royal baby etc. so am in the same boat.

I find the constant coverage irritating personally! Their baby is no more important to me than any baby of a random couple I don't know.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EweHaveGoatToBeKiddin Mon 22-Jul-13 11:57:40

Nope, you're definitely not cold and heartless.

Thousands of babies are born world wide every day. We can't care about them all.

What is cold and heartless are the death threats directed towards the Royal baby strewn across my newsfeed today. sad

YANBU. I am not bothered either apart from I hope it is healthy as I do with all babies.

The birth of the royal baby will not impact me at all so why should I care ?
Your friend is over reacting.

Lottapianos Mon 22-Jul-13 12:00:31

I am very interested in the royal baby but only because I'm a right nosey cow smile I wish the media would just shut the hell up about it already until the baby has actually been born, and then report it in a factual, sensible way, instead of the usual hysterical nonsense.

YANBU OP. Why should you give a fig?

YoniBottsBumgina Mon 22-Jul-13 12:03:15

I think it's more cold and uncaring to be baying for news TBH. Let them have a moment of privacy, having your first child is such a unique and special thing, it should be theirs to enjoy without all of the media attention. I know it's a "special" baby but I still don't see that their privacy for the first few days is any less important.

SusanneLinder Mon 22-Jul-13 12:03:36

I care cos its a baby. I couldnt care less about the whole Royal thing. I get annoyed by the whole privilege of birth thing, as Kate and Willliam and their baby are no better than any of the rest of us, just because they have money and title, and it annoys me that I am expected to respect them or bow to them because they are royal (if I met them).

Having said that, I do not dislike them personally and wish them and their new baby hapiness, same as I would any other mum.

exexpat Mon 22-Jul-13 12:04:35

I'm so glad it's not just me! She was horrified that I was starting to doubt myself.

That should be "she was so horrified"! blush

cheerfulweather Mon 22-Jul-13 12:08:33

Also wishing there was a republican button grin

I've been making use of the 'hide' button instead for all the royal pregnancy/name/labour/baby threads.

EweHaveGoatToBeKiddin Mon 22-Jul-13 12:10:23

Yep, death threats.

My finger's sore from clicking 'report' and deleting people.

Really horrible to read. And some of them are from old school friends who have just delivered their own babies this week.

cheerfulweather Mon 22-Jul-13 12:12:56

Death threats shock

Obviously I care that they have a safe delivery and healthy baby, the same as I would wish for anybody else. But that's all.

YouTheCat Mon 22-Jul-13 12:14:54

Ewe, you have some really odd friends.

MiaowTheCat Mon 22-Jul-13 12:16:17

I do not give a shit about the royal baby - apart from if my neighbour decides to barbecue in his pants at 5am wearing a union jack top hat again like he did for the wedding... I will be pissed off at him waking the kids up yet again.

JakeBullet Mon 22-Jul-13 12:18:14

Your friend is wrong.

ButnI am actually enjoying the news.....it's nice to have some good news for a change,

ToysRLuv Mon 22-Jul-13 12:20:51

I don't give a shit about babies in general, unless it's someone I know and love. Even then, they're not massively interesting. No ill thoughts there, but no positive ones either.

Fakebook Mon 22-Jul-13 12:21:57

If you wish the couple and baby well, then that's not "I couldn't care less". You do care. You're just not interested in it as a news story.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now