Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think this is taking the piss

(50 Posts)
cuteboots Mon 22-Jul-13 08:41:59

so In the week my cousin who I rarely see asked if I could possibly give her son a lift to work. I said Id think about it and get him to come and ask me. Didnt hear anymore! This morning walked out tot he car and there he was stood by the car !? Is this taking the piss or am I being a it over the top about this?

BlackAffronted Mon 22-Jul-13 17:37:24

OP -AIBU?
MN - yes
OP - No Im not!

Why ask???

ChippingInHopHopHop Mon 22-Jul-13 17:34:46

Sounds like you don't make him very welcome if he was waiting outside, by the car, instead of knocking on the door.

I really don't get this 'my cousin who I rarely see'... so what? It's a lift, she didn't ask you to bequest half your home to the lad!

Why are you bent on making life difficult for yourself and those around you?

pictish Mon 22-Jul-13 17:27:24

It depends if it was a one off, or supposed to be regular thing I guess.
If the former yabu...if the latter yanbu.

Ipp3 Mon 22-Jul-13 17:23:57

I think a lot of respondents here are being really unfair to op. I would want to think about it too. If it is a regular thing it would limit my flexibility in my journey to work as I can start at different times. I might also want to thnk about whether I want to make polite conversation every morning! And it is not unreasonable to expect him to ask himself. F he has a job he should behave like a polite adult and ask himself.

thebody Mon 22-Jul-13 17:19:48

mmmn you sound very hard work op and a bit full of your own importance granting favours.

I expect the lad was desperate for the lift but asked his mom to approach you as your known to he hard work.

are you my sister?

Fairenuff Mon 22-Jul-13 17:19:31

What did you do OP, did you give him a lift or not?

pictish Mon 22-Jul-13 17:14:54

It was a yes or no thing.
I don't get you.

pictish Mon 22-Jul-13 17:13:46

Yab strangely u.

What's the biggy? Why do you need to think about it? Why do you need to be asked by him personally?

You think giving someone a lift is a bigger favour than it is, obviously.

Sparklysilversequins Mon 22-Jul-13 17:12:44

But WHAT exactly did you need to think about? You could either do it or you couldn't?

usualsuspect Mon 22-Jul-13 17:08:42

Then she should have said no in the first place.

phantomnamechanger Mon 22-Jul-13 17:06:56

in what world does "I'll think about it" mean a yes? My kids always say it means no really (just like "we'll see"), but supposed to be nicer than an outright no.

I think it was VERY rude to just show up - and you could have had any number of reasons why it was not convenient to oblige.

Bowlersarm Mon 22-Jul-13 17:05:29

If it's a one-off lift I think YABU - it's no hardship.

Not sure if it's a regular thing, though.

sukysue Mon 22-Jul-13 17:03:32

YABU and a proper misery guts.

5Foot5 Mon 22-Jul-13 16:59:09

Sounds like it could be miscommunication here? I certainly get the impression that you were not all that clear with your response so they maybe assumed it was OK.

Fairenuff Mon 22-Jul-13 16:54:51

Well he turned up, he was on time, you could have told him there and then that you didn't want to give him a lift or you could have told him that you would be happy to provide a lift. So what's the problem?

Is it the heat, there seem to be a lot of grumpy posters on mn today.

Crinkle77 Mon 22-Jul-13 16:32:38

Was it a one off or does he want a lift regularly?

What a strange reply to begin with confused even a yes but get him to call me when he gets a chance/no sorry but I'll explain to him after is better than the original message. I'd have rather got a taxi than ask in the first place though.

ArtexMonkey Mon 22-Jul-13 16:21:57

I will never understand the way people on mn get such a hair up their arses about lifts. Really really weird.

arabesque Mon 22-Jul-13 16:20:13

I have to say, though, it someone gave me an insulting reply like that I'd walk, jog, hop or skateboard to my destination rather than come cap in hand begging for a lift.
You need to get over yourself, you really do. It sounds like his mum asked you politely and you got all uppity and silly.

ThreeTroikas Mon 22-Jul-13 16:19:24

YANBU. If hes old enough to have a job, hes old enough to ask for a lift to work himself. At least that was always the way I was brought up - with manners and to be independent.

The lift wasn't conformed, so yes he was being a piss taker by simply turning up assuming someone else had arranged it for him.

Boomba Mon 22-Jul-13 16:16:42

YAB perculiar confused

arabesque Mon 22-Jul-13 16:16:03

Yes it was rude, but so was your response to the original request. Why did you have to 'think about it''? Surely it either suited you or it didn't. What a pompous reply.

CloudsAndTrees Mon 22-Jul-13 16:12:07

They were rude.

It might have been more helpful to them if you'd given them a straight yes or no, but you didn't, as is your right when you are being asked to do a favour. I don't think you did anything wrong by saying you'd think about it and asking to speak to the person you would actually be helping. It not jumping through hoops, it's giving you the chance to make it clear that you can't be late or whatever.

Of course it's taking the piss to assume that 'I'll think about it' means 'yes'.

Redlocks30 Mon 22-Jul-13 14:55:00

Do you always speak in riddles to people like this?!

Was this a one-off lift or does he want you to take him every day?

How old is he?

Sparklysilversequins Mon 22-Jul-13 14:49:35

You sound like a right grumps! Also wanting to keep them on tenterhooks wondering will she/won't she give the lift?! What's that all about?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now