Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think that actually living on a council estate is nicer in some respects?

(71 Posts)
MummaEss Sat 20-Jul-13 21:19:10

I have lived on a council estate for 13 years, since just before my first daughter was born. Initially I HATED it. I come from a family where no one has ever had to rely on the local council for housing and was initially a bit horrified to find myself in a situation whereby I had to live on the very estate where i was not allowed to play as a child.

There are very many reasons that i now love where I live and the one I wish to highlight here may be petty but it has played on my mind recently with the hot weather and seeing many posts here regarding the same issue.... noise!

I have just come in after enjoying the summer evening in the garden. I have neighbours to the back of me that happen to be a particularly noisy family. They are a big family and spend a lot of time outside, all year round. It is not just the kids playing, trampoline on concrete, ball bouncing noises, the adults are also particularly loud voice wise and often wind up the children deliberately making quite a hullabaloo. They are reliably loud and noisy. Although myself and my immediate neighbour often share a little giggle or comment at how noisy they are there is actually no grumbling resentment or fury or nasty letters or ringing the police or noise abatement or noise diaries or any kind of problem at all.

I read on here about kids being out to play too early/late, people chatting in their gardens, trampolines, music etc keeping kids awake or ruining the tranquility of summer or some such. I think to myself that I am actually happier just listening to my neighbours noise without feeling obliged to get twisted out of shape at the liberty of it.

People make noise. I have another neighbour who likes to spend hours on the weekend cleaning his car whilst blasting his music out of the bass bins in his boot. No one complains. There are often people out in the street chatting, arguing, singing at all hours yet my kids have never been kept awake or emotionally disturbed by this.

I just feel that although I am secretly a horrendous snob, I am happier living in this state of live and let live than in a world where I have to worry about the volume of my television if the windows are open and what time my children want to go in the garden. Am I wrong or have I just gone over to the dark side?

GameSetAndMatch Sat 20-Jul-13 22:33:06

totally agree with Zora.

usualsuspect Sat 20-Jul-13 22:33:26

I don't think many estates are 100% private

JakeBullet Sat 20-Jul-13 22:33:33

People make or break an area. I have lived on two council estates and am now in a HA place.

One of tbw council estates was the local sink estate butyo be ffair I had no problems there.

The other estate was fab, I grew up there and privately rented there by choice for a while.

YANBU, sounds as though you have good neighbours.

maja00 Sat 20-Jul-13 22:34:54

Because they were built buy the council in traditional council estate style, and most of the houses are still owned by the council. What else would you call it?

MorrisZapp Sat 20-Jul-13 22:36:40

I don't get that either, can somebody explain how they live on a council estate if loads of the properties are owned.

Twirlyhot Sat 20-Jul-13 22:36:52

You can buy but the prices are lower than for houses that have never been council owned. The nearest town to me has 4 bed houses on the nicest council estate for around £190k. The same sized house 250 metres away, outside the council estate, would start at £275k.

WorraLiberty Sat 20-Jul-13 22:37:27

I've double checked Usual and apart from CB there's not a bennyfit in sight grin

Out of curiosity , why still class somewhere as a council estate if many of the houses are now private?

Because it's still an estate that was built by the council to home families in council accomodation, and because it's not 100% private.

Mind you with the amount of buy-to-let properties up and down the country, I doubt anywhere is 100% private.

I hate to break this shocker to some people but <pssst!> there are DSS tenants living on private estates too lining landlord's pockets

The sneaky fuckers! shock

UseHerName Sat 20-Jul-13 22:39:06

yadnbu we had a communal game of cricket and paddling pool on the green today grin

Twirlyhot Sat 20-Jul-13 22:39:42

Zoopla actually show the proportion of houses in an area that are privately owned, shared ownership, privately rented or LA rented.

monicalewinski Sat 20-Jul-13 22:41:00

I have always lived in forces married quarters (growing up, then I joined too) and it is a similar feel to a council estate.

The standard of housing isn't the best where we are at the moment but you make it the best you can - loads of kids, young families and young couples up to older couples and I've always loved it. All the kids play out together and go to the same school and even if you are a private type you can still rely on your neighbours in a crisis.

It's the community feel that I like and although we're all wildly different backgrounds, we're all in the same boat and dealing with the same crap - I have no desire to move to private housing especially whilst my kids are young.

MummaEss Sat 20-Jul-13 22:47:22

I think I have perhaps worded my OP badly. For me, the term council estate and the fact that I am indeed a council tenant led me to this although indeed most of the houses on my estate are now private. It does however still have a very different feel to the other local estates which have never been social housing.

I do not assume all people who live in nice areas are curtain twitching, judgmental bores. I know this is not true because most of my social group live in much more MC areas, but I know they would at very least raise their eyebrows if the kind of things that go on round here happened up their road.

noisytoys Sat 20-Jul-13 23:09:22

YANBU. I live in an ex council flat its brilliant. It's right on the edge of the estate (all the estate houses are painted white, all the non estate houses are plain brick). My flat was £100k, next door sold six months later for £160k its bonkers. We both get the same neighbourly experience though grin

Nottalotta Sat 20-Jul-13 23:12:54

Dare i say that it might be something to do with the fact that most of the houses on your estate are privately owned that you don't have any problems there? I was brought up on a council estate and work for the local authority in housing (council and ha) the areas with the least problems have a high proportion of privately owned properties - often bought by the original council tenants, so a lot of the residents have lived there for donkeys years. My first home as a child was on a council estate. I'm 35 btw. Back then there seemed to be more of a sense of pride about your home. We had the open door policy, everyone watching out for everyone's kids. But no rubbish, no sofa/fridge etc in the garden, everywhere was immaculate and you were most certainly gossip about if you had dodge looking whites on the line!

The problems seem to come in areas that have a lot of movement. We have three problem estates, that 'outsiders' fear to enter, but those born and bred there always want to stay there.

That was probably a very contradictory post....

BridgetBidet Sat 20-Jul-13 23:15:01

It depends. There are some quite nice ones in London. However in Sheffield where I live now they are generally horrible. Huge swathes of housing with virtually no shops, poor transport, nobody has a job, there are hardly any fathers around and a lot of crime and anti-social behaviour. One of my worst fear is being made homeless and having to move to one of them.

The area I'm in now is nice in that it has lots of families and you can make a noise without people minding up to a point. But, I'm sorry, I couldn't be dealing with arguing in the streets at all hours.

ouryve Sat 20-Jul-13 23:18:54

It depends on the estate. Some are rough, but most are fairly mixed and friendly. And TBH, unless you can afford somewhere expensive, if you live in a privately owned house, a lot of neighbours are in rented houses and not all are good neighbours. Some people who own their houses can be shits, too.

PosyNarker Sat 20-Jul-13 23:34:25

YANBU my grandmother lived in a fantastic cul de sac where everyone was neighbourly. I think in a good area it can be great.

Trouble is, anywhere you have neighbours you run the risk that you end up with, as my dad used to say 'aw the shite of the day'. The stereotype is Shameless style council tenants, but the reality could be a 50 something PhD with a penchant for leylandi grin

I do think that unfortunately there is a bit more risk of dodgy neighbours in council estates than say, if you buy a large detached house, but really that!'s apples and oranges.

That said, groups get a 'name'. I lived in a student block for 7 years as a homeowner. I never threw a wild party and the one time I had to speak with a neighbour about noise it was a single woman of about 35 that was Bridget Jonesing & causing the racket.... The students were fine! (Before I am accused of sexism, think pjs, bucket sized glasses of wine and incredibly loud ballads).

LilacPeony Sat 20-Jul-13 23:37:23

I read on here about kids being out to play too early/late, people chatting in their gardens, trampolines, music etc keeping kids awake or ruining the tranquility of summer or some such. I think to myself that I am actually happier just listening to my neighbours noise without feeling obliged to get twisted out of shape at the liberty of it.
There are plenty of people on council estates who get pissed off with their neighbours and plenty of people who don't live on council estates who don't get pissed off with their neighbours.

Arisbottle Sat 20-Jul-13 23:41:01

I grew up on a variety of council estates, one was great, really nice community feel. Most of my family still live on council estate and by an large they seem nice places to live.

However two of the estates I grew up on we're awful, constantly being burgled, cars racing all over the estate, drugs everywhere, abandoned needles in the playground , boarded up shops and I was rarely allowed anyone over because parents didn't want their children playing with a kid from the estate.

pouffepants Sun 21-Jul-13 07:17:57

This is why I keep pestering dh to let us move onto an estate. I'm in HA now, but it's just one row on the edge of a private estate, and it's so bloody quiet round here.

With my first dh we lived on the biggest council estate in the area and it was lovely. So many kids playing out, so much going on, just life happening all the time. I absolutely don't understand why so many people seem to want to live in a morgue and query every little noise that enters their space.

Now I know there are really bad areas where there's real crime etc, and obv you want to avoid that, but all the moaning on here seems to be about the noise of a scooter making them 'shudder', or wanting everyone to finish their day because someone's toddler might need to go to bed. Where I was, there were elderly people, disabled people, small children, ill people and I never once heard of the residents having a problem with each other's noise, beyond having a quick word and sorting it out between themselves.

My absolute favourite thing about summer is having windows open and hearing kids squealing, music playing, people chatting, but it doesn't happen here. We've had a bloke moan at 4pm about my (non-squealy) kids playing outside their own house, and he came from 3 streets away to tell us. He admitted he couldn't hear them but that he patrolled the streets to keep things quiet for the other elderly folk. Shortly after that I was doing charity collecting door-to-door and a lady at the end of our street asked if ds was mine (very distinctive looking). I tentatively said yes thinking he'd done something bad, but actually she said she was missing watching the boys playing out and wondered where they'd gone and I explained that they couldn't because they always got moaned at. So now they go to the park (half hour walk away) or stay in. She was quite sad.

BlingBang Sun 21-Jul-13 07:53:05

Grew up in two council houses and loved it as a child though there were some bif characters around. Moved out when I was in my 20's to a small wimpy private estate so nothing flash and it was just so much calmer and quiet though the council estate was more interesting with all the drama.

Agree it depends in the estate. Some council estates are nice (my PILs love in a lovely little one bit most people own their houses) but as said they tend to be ones with a high percentage of private owners. Not all council estates are the same - they vary greatly.

mamadoc Sun 21-Jul-13 09:17:24

I live on a council estate. I own my house (bought from original, right to buy tenant'.

I reckon it's about 50:50. It is still a council estate because that's what people call it! However as others have pointed out the new build estates springing up around here now all have 'social housing' so what's the difference.

I could afford to move but I like it here so I don't. House is 1950s so it has nice big rooms and a big garden. Newer places the same price are tiny. It's close to a lovely school where all the local DC go and really near a lovely park where they can play out with friends. It's terraced so you get some noise from neighbours but just normal living noise that doesn't bother me.

I like the fact that people from all walks of life just rub along together. There are a few bad apples. We get the occasional shouting in the street, graffiti, litter, rumours of drugs being dealt but it all gets dealt with quite quickly and overall still feels very safe to me.

You never hear (even from owner occupiers) moaning about house prices or lowering the tone of the area. If you buy here I guess you already accept the hit on that. I could not stand the pressure if I lived somewhere people fussed about your garden. I visited someone recently on a posh private estate who was being harangued by his neighbours for putting in 'cheap UPVC'. Oh the horror! So I think there is a different atmosphere and I like it and am going to stay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now