Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think that actually living on a council estate is nicer in some respects?

(71 Posts)
MummaEss Sat 20-Jul-13 21:19:10

I have lived on a council estate for 13 years, since just before my first daughter was born. Initially I HATED it. I come from a family where no one has ever had to rely on the local council for housing and was initially a bit horrified to find myself in a situation whereby I had to live on the very estate where i was not allowed to play as a child.

There are very many reasons that i now love where I live and the one I wish to highlight here may be petty but it has played on my mind recently with the hot weather and seeing many posts here regarding the same issue.... noise!

I have just come in after enjoying the summer evening in the garden. I have neighbours to the back of me that happen to be a particularly noisy family. They are a big family and spend a lot of time outside, all year round. It is not just the kids playing, trampoline on concrete, ball bouncing noises, the adults are also particularly loud voice wise and often wind up the children deliberately making quite a hullabaloo. They are reliably loud and noisy. Although myself and my immediate neighbour often share a little giggle or comment at how noisy they are there is actually no grumbling resentment or fury or nasty letters or ringing the police or noise abatement or noise diaries or any kind of problem at all.

I read on here about kids being out to play too early/late, people chatting in their gardens, trampolines, music etc keeping kids awake or ruining the tranquility of summer or some such. I think to myself that I am actually happier just listening to my neighbours noise without feeling obliged to get twisted out of shape at the liberty of it.

People make noise. I have another neighbour who likes to spend hours on the weekend cleaning his car whilst blasting his music out of the bass bins in his boot. No one complains. There are often people out in the street chatting, arguing, singing at all hours yet my kids have never been kept awake or emotionally disturbed by this.

I just feel that although I am secretly a horrendous snob, I am happier living in this state of live and let live than in a world where I have to worry about the volume of my television if the windows are open and what time my children want to go in the garden. Am I wrong or have I just gone over to the dark side?

Lj8893 Sat 20-Jul-13 22:02:23

Umm just because you hated it forma doesn't mean everyone who has ever lived on a council estate hated/hates it too.

And can't fat people be happy too with thier size?!

WorraLiberty Sat 20-Jul-13 22:02:43

Really FromaLurka?

Because I've only got 7yrs left of mortgage payments, my house is more than 3 times its original value...and I could sell up and move any time I wanted to.

Except I don't want to and nor do most of my long standing neighbours, who have all paid their mortgages off.

FormaLurka Sat 20-Jul-13 22:02:46

Imagine worrying about kids running into hot BBQs. Those damn MC people just don't know how to have fun grin

ThingsThatMakeYouGoHmmmmmmmmm Sat 20-Jul-13 22:03:15

Sorry to hear that, Formalurka. But your comparison is,frankly, bollocks. smile

kim147 Sat 20-Jul-13 22:03:41

I live in a council estate - I the bank own a flat.
It's a nice street but the area has its moments. It's the rubbish that gets me - sorry, but you don't see that in other areas.

And the crap left outside people's houses - there's part of a car rear windscreen near here, trolleys and other crap just left assuming someone will take it.

There is a community feel and I feel safe here which is important to me. But I hate litter. Oh - and screaming and shouting at night. I've heard arguments on the street, people shouting up at windows and I see the police around this area more than I care to.

ThingsThatMakeYouGoHmmmmmmmmm Sat 20-Jul-13 22:05:01

"Imagine worrying about kids running into hot BBQs"

Nope. Can't imagine that.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Sat 20-Jul-13 22:05:23

Yanbu. My four dc make a lot of noise playing in the garden and I do sometimes wonder wtf the neighbours must make of it. I think people with large mortgages are more likely to be arseholey and bent out of shape when things around them are not perfect despite a lot of money being spent on their accommodation. Plus people get angry about anything that makes the area look worse or any activity that could lower house prices.

WorraLiberty Sat 20-Jul-13 22:06:23

Kim my Dad gets all that on his private estate now

usualsuspect Sat 20-Jul-13 22:09:42

Oh noes, can't have them nasty council house people saying they are happy with where they live can we.

Only MC happiness allowed on MN.

kim147 Sat 20-Jul-13 22:12:44

I've lived in a range of houses in my life - but litter seems to be an issue that I've only found in the 2 council areas I've lived in.

I really can't stand it. Doesn't help I live near a high school as well so they seem to drop their rubbish as well.

And yes - I do worry about the fact that I own my flat and would like to sell it one day so the appearance of a neighbourhood does affect its value.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Sat 20-Jul-13 22:16:36

In fact in my area, people get upset about a front garden with weeds. To the point where a 'friendly' neighbour will often garden for you in order to keep up appearances grin

usualsuspect Sat 20-Jul-13 22:18:17

The houses on the estate I live on sell very quickly. I don't notice any more litter here than round the corner where the private houses start.

In fact the council regularly sweep the streets, don't they do that where you live Kim?

MummaEss Sat 20-Jul-13 22:18:48

Well of course we council folks wouldnt want kids running into a BBQ, but it wouldnt make me personally cause a fuss and shut down a nice community event. I would trust in my kids not to be reckless and (as kids are kids and unpredictable) my neighbours to police the danger zone, with sensibility albeit without having attended a course and holding a valid certificate. I also would be appreciative of my neighbours correcting any behavior they consider dangerous in my kids, and support them in telling off my kids if they looked in danger of burning themselves on said BBQ.

CatsRule Sat 20-Jul-13 22:18:59

I grew up firstly in a bought flat then my parents moved to a council house...it was the in thing then. My Mum still lives there, it's a fab house/garden/area.

I now live in a private estate, tiny house but I love it. I have been here 14 years and have great neighbours. Have been listening to little pockets of people around me having fun with their friends/family...a low hum of music, chat etc. Nobody imposing on another.

I agree with the poster who said council housing is nothing to do with being poor...I had a great upbrining and an education. My parent weren't rich or poor but they paid their way fully. I think some people do have a view that council tennents are on the scrounge...totally not true!

I think the people around you make the area you live in good...council ir private.

I've lived in two different streets on a council estate and love it. Yes it's noisy and there's not much privacy but I find the noise quite comforting in a way, dc have loads of friends and the neighbours are friendly. The one downside is the ice-cream van and his music round every half hour waking the baby up at night. Ten o'clock by the time he knocks off. Glad I'm on the street I'm in though as there are a few rowdier ones (like round the corner) that I wouldn't fancy living on.

kim147 Sat 20-Jul-13 22:20:55

They're not bad - but that's not the point.

I just don't see the amount of litter in other parts of this area compared to other areas of this city.

FormaLurka Sat 20-Jul-13 22:25:02

Mortgages? I thought we were talking about council estates?

Every November 5th we have a street part or to be more precise a cul de sac party. £10 per house goes to John the organiser. He knows a butcher who does a good deal on burgers and sausages. Then there is Chris who has a mate who sells fireworks in bulk. Other times we visit each other to watch football on TV or Wimbledon. Three of the houses had kids going to the same primary as us. They took it in turns doing the school run and were kind enough to take our DCs. One neighbor kept our kids until one of us got home from work. She wouldn't take any money from us so during the summer holidays we always made a point of taking her DD with us to outtings like Legoland or Gullivers. We kept 'emergency' keys for each other and we would water each other's plants if the family was on holiday etc etc etc.

We have a nice community spirit going even though were aren't poor or living on a council estate grin

Angelfootprints Sat 20-Jul-13 22:26:18

Are you trying to imply anyone who doesnt live on a council state must suffer from lack of community, fun & constantly is twitching the net curtains eagerly waiting to phone the police if the neighbour hasnt weeded the garden well enough or made an audible sound?

usualsuspect Sat 20-Jul-13 22:26:48

Lots of people buy and own houses on council estates.

Since Maggie sold them all off.

usualsuspect Sat 20-Jul-13 22:27:48

You don't have to be poor to.live on a council estate.

maja00 Sat 20-Jul-13 22:27:57

Lots of people on council estates own their houses. Some even own them outright.

WorraLiberty Sat 20-Jul-13 22:28:48

Mortgages? I thought we were talking about council estates?

Errrm yes we are confused

And as I said...I'm very happy on my council estate...not at all like a fat person pretending they're happy when they really want to be slim.

As is proven by the fact I only have 7yrs left on my mortgage, my house is worth 3 times its original value and i sell any time I want to....but I don't.

What's so hard to understand about that?

ThingsThatMakeYouGoHmmmmmmmmm Sat 20-Jul-13 22:31:02

"Mortgages? I thought we were talking about council estates?"

Some people on council estates have (whisper it) bought their houses....

usualsuspect Sat 20-Jul-13 22:31:39

No you don't Worra, you have to be poor to live on a council estate,apparently.

Are you sure you are not on benefits?

Angelfootprints Sat 20-Jul-13 22:31:45

Out of curiosity , why still class somewhere as a council estate if many of the houses are now private?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now