To go camping on my own?

(38 Posts)
Undertone Sat 20-Jul-13 17:51:40

I am 29 and like me a bit of fresh air and space. I have booked a tent pitch in a gorgeous bit of Pembrokeshire near a small village and intend to spend a few days reading, snorkelling and walking/running.

My parents still think i am their little girl and have been chuntering that it's not safe, tried to make me stay in a b&b instead.

If it's a campsite in the summer it'll be quite busy, right? It's not like I'm in the middle of nowhere or in a crimewave Ground Zero (unless the village has been suffering from a spate of rarebit-snatching recently).

I've told them.not to worry and i will be fine. Privately, should i actually be rethinking this?

TroublesomeEx Sat 20-Jul-13 23:25:50

I'm going camping on my own in a couple of weeks.

Just me, my tent and my guitar (plus a few camping essentials!)

I'm really looking forward to it!

Jossysgiants Sat 20-Jul-13 22:28:39

Am so envious I am gnashing my teeth. Sounds blissful -have a wonderful time.

Sounds fab. Enjoy

Undertone there's a camping section in travel if you want more tips?

You need gininatin.

I love camping cooking so I'd spend ages pottering about cooking stuff on the fire and my Cobb. While drinking gin / wine and reading on my kindle. And having naps

<happy sigh>

<wakes up and realises i'm in a house with dh and my sons>

lemontwist Sat 20-Jul-13 22:17:17

Undertone, I'm so jealous. This makes me want to ditch DH and the kids for a couple of nights. Sounds blissful.
I need a stovetop coffee maker. I would just love getting up when I please and brewing a pot of proper coffee then just chilling with a good book.

Undertone Sat 20-Jul-13 22:02:31

Loving these tips. Any more outrageously lovely stuff i can do/take for myself?

DrDre Sat 20-Jul-13 21:24:48

You'll be fine! Go for it and have fun!

KittensoftPuppydog Sat 20-Jul-13 21:09:46

Camping is great. People are generally very friendly. Just come back from a trip myself though is was in a van with dog and husband.
Take a hat for the evenings. I know how hot it is but when you've been sitting outside for a while...
Take a chargeable digital radio and listen to stories on r4extra. Lovely lying there listening to a good story.
Have a really good time.

KingRollo Sat 20-Jul-13 20:57:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Undertone Sat 20-Jul-13 20:54:06

Just went out into the garden to take the tent down before it got dewy and was surprised how chilly it was! (was just wearing a vest top and shorts though). Defo a fleece situation i think.

I'm not going to manage to run the pembrokeshire coast path am i? I will just be on a patch of grass in front of my tent gripped by Riders and drinking cider...

KingRollo Sat 20-Jul-13 20:48:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Undertone Sat 20-Jul-13 20:45:58

I feel i have to bring the tone down by admitting that the book I'm really looking forward to reading is Jilly Cooper's Riders. Haven't read it for years!

burberryqueen Sat 20-Jul-13 20:05:13

grin @ undertone - quite possibly!!
have pulled at campsites in my time.....

I would love this! I've been camping on my own with my 2 sons and in some ways I think that makes me more vulnerable.

Don't buy a solar charger though. They're shit. I've got one of these which provides 2 full charges for a smart phone if you charge fully before you leave. Great and similar weight to a phone.

Have a great time!

SheepAreSuper Sat 20-Jul-13 19:55:06

YANBU. Solo camping is great. I camp alone in the lakes fairly often.
I don't worry about safety anymore than I do at home alone.
I usually have the car so tend to just plug the phone in every so often and turn things like wifi of to prolong the life.

Have a great time!

TiggyD Sat 20-Jul-13 19:39:02

I've got a car phone charger and one for my laptop too. I'm techno-mobile.

Undertone Sat 20-Jul-13 19:09:31

Burberry - oooo do you think i will pull?!

Undertone Sat 20-Jul-13 19:08:38

Will look into phone chargey options.

Have excavated childhood tent and it's airing in the garden now.

burberryqueen Sat 20-Jul-13 19:08:01

camping is so much more sociable than b and b for singles or single parents, course it will be safe.....
have a great time!

Theas18 Sat 20-Jul-13 19:05:38

sounds bril! aldi have solar point charged for a tender. You can also buy the sort you putt aa batteries in to charge your phone.

You could always buy a spare battery for your phone? Cheap ish and won't take up much space.

Xmasbaby11 Sat 20-Jul-13 18:57:58

That would be my idea of hell, but safe enough!

TimeofChange Sat 20-Jul-13 18:51:43

You can buy solar phone chargers from places like Maplin.
You will have a fantastic time.

Turniptwirl Sat 20-Jul-13 18:41:39

Go for it! Never camped in my life til I got to go as a guide leader and I loved it :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now