Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To go camping on my own?

(38 Posts)
Undertone Sat 20-Jul-13 17:51:40

I am 29 and like me a bit of fresh air and space. I have booked a tent pitch in a gorgeous bit of Pembrokeshire near a small village and intend to spend a few days reading, snorkelling and walking/running.

My parents still think i am their little girl and have been chuntering that it's not safe, tried to make me stay in a b&b instead.

If it's a campsite in the summer it'll be quite busy, right? It's not like I'm in the middle of nowhere or in a crimewave Ground Zero (unless the village has been suffering from a spate of rarebit-snatching recently).

I've told them.not to worry and i will be fine. Privately, should i actually be rethinking this?

Jenijena Sat 20-Jul-13 17:52:55

Go! Enjoy! Sounds lovely... Am a weeny bit jealous.

And if you want the excuse to go camping with people, join the scout association smile

usualsuspect Sat 20-Jul-13 17:53:40

You will be fine,I always find campsites to be safe and friendly places.

JollyHolidayGiant Sat 20-Jul-13 17:54:32

I've been camping on my own before. In my late teens and early 20s. A lovely experience smile

Undertone Sat 20-Jul-13 17:56:55

Jeni - i am a frustrated hermit and am slavering over the opportunity to camp solo. But my love of camping comes from Guides expeditions many moons ago.

Usual - yes if i make myself known to neighbours on the site (in an unintrusive way) they will keep an eye out for Gruesome Murderer types heading toward my tent with a chainsaw, right?

Undertone Sat 20-Jul-13 18:00:21

Jolly - what did you get up to and where did you go?

It's been such a long time since i camped last i am flapping about what to take. Looking at the forecast... A mac, and a jumper so far!

usualsuspect Sat 20-Jul-13 18:01:22

Campers are generally a helpful lot. So you should be safe from mad axe wielding maniacs.

KingRollo Sat 20-Jul-13 18:03:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JollyHolidayGiant Sat 20-Jul-13 18:04:19

I went to the Edinburgh Fringe. And I went to a campsite in a village with a national trust property so spent some time wandering around there. I also went to Inverness.

I honestly didn't consider safety a concern! I didn't drive then either so was travelling by bus/train. The issue with that is that you can't charge your phone unless you have a pitch with electric which I couldn't justify the cost of.

Undertone Sat 20-Jul-13 18:11:06

I too am public transporting myself. Planning to keep phone off unless i need it (and to send parents texts every morning to let them know i haven't become a Daily Mail headline). Should last 72 hours like that.

Ooo i might even have a personal bbq and a few sneaky artisan ciders in the evening.

Looking forward to storming down to the beach at sunrise and shrieking in the cold sea.

JollyHolidayGiant Sat 20-Jul-13 18:17:01

Sounds lovely smile Remember a torch! I forgot mine on one trip and it made going to the toilet a bit of a nightmare.

gordyslovesheep Germany Sat 20-Jul-13 18:20:50

My mum, 67, has just returned from 8 weeks camping alone in Europe - just her, her little car and a small tent - she did France, Germany, Italy, Croatia, Italy, France and back home

apart from a minor prang in Italy (German women reversed into her car - cue much sign langauge but it got sorted) and a slight scary man following her back to camp in Croatia (the camp security saw him off) she had a ball

This is the second time she has done it - she's planning one more at 70 grin

GO FOR IT!

thispunderfullife Sat 20-Jul-13 18:37:06

Undertone I am dead jealous have an amazing time!!

Turniptwirl Sat 20-Jul-13 18:41:39

Go for it! Never camped in my life til I got to go as a guide leader and I loved it :-)

TimeofChange Sat 20-Jul-13 18:51:43

You can buy solar phone chargers from places like Maplin.
You will have a fantastic time.

Xmasbaby11 Sat 20-Jul-13 18:57:58

That would be my idea of hell, but safe enough!

You could always buy a spare battery for your phone? Cheap ish and won't take up much space.

Theas18 Sat 20-Jul-13 19:05:38

sounds bril! aldi have solar point charged for a tender. You can also buy the sort you putt aa batteries in to charge your phone.

burberryqueen Sat 20-Jul-13 19:08:01

camping is so much more sociable than b and b for singles or single parents, course it will be safe.....
have a great time!

Undertone Sat 20-Jul-13 19:08:38

Will look into phone chargey options.

Have excavated childhood tent and it's airing in the garden now.

Undertone Sat 20-Jul-13 19:09:31

Burberry - oooo do you think i will pull?!

TiggyD Sat 20-Jul-13 19:39:02

I've got a car phone charger and one for my laptop too. I'm techno-mobile.

SheepAreSuper Sat 20-Jul-13 19:55:06

YANBU. Solo camping is great. I camp alone in the lakes fairly often.
I don't worry about safety anymore than I do at home alone.
I usually have the car so tend to just plug the phone in every so often and turn things like wifi of to prolong the life.

Have a great time!

I would love this! I've been camping on my own with my 2 sons and in some ways I think that makes me more vulnerable.

Don't buy a solar charger though. They're shit. I've got one of these which provides 2 full charges for a smart phone if you charge fully before you leave. Great and similar weight to a phone.

Have a great time!

burberryqueen Sat 20-Jul-13 20:05:13

grin @ undertone - quite possibly!!
have pulled at campsites in my time.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now