To think it's disgusting to let your dog lick humans' plates

(91 Posts)
Doearwigsmakechutney Sat 20-Jul-13 16:21:46

Scrape the food into the dog's bowl. PLEASE.

I don't care how good the dishwasher is, or how hot the water is, I think it's utterly minging to give a dog the plates to lick. Aibu?

Doearwigsmakechutney Sat 20-Jul-13 16:36:15

My ILs are doing it after every meal, whilst we're staying (and presumably all the time generally). It just turns my stomach. Bleurgh

RaspberrySnowCone Sat 20-Jul-13 16:39:16

I don't like it, the only things I don't mind dogs licking is their own goolies. Anything else makes me feel yuk!

alemci Sat 20-Jul-13 16:39:38

no,

I used to go out with someone whose mother put the plate down to let the cat eat off it. no dishwasher and encouraged the cats to jump up on the kitchen sides to let them eat cat food off newspaper because otherwise the dog may eat it. - too bad.

It is disgusting

littlemissshittingit Sat 20-Jul-13 16:42:27

I shared an ice lolly with my dog the other day .. one lick for me, one lick for her..

GobblersKnob Sat 20-Jul-13 16:42:59

YANBU to think it is disgusting, you can think whatever you please grin

However there are loads of us that do it and couldn't give a rats arse what you think. Come to that, my rats eat off my plate all the time, often while I am eating. They also partially climb into my dp's mouth and clean his teeth for him too, little rodentists that they are.

SoupDragon Sat 20-Jul-13 16:43:06

Yoni, chocolate is dangerous to dogs, so the horrible dog might not be around much longer.

There is unlikely to be any great quantity of the poisonous-to-dogs part of chocolate in ordinary hot chocolate.

WestieMamma Sat 20-Jul-13 16:44:00

I shared an ice lolly with my dog the other day .. one lick for me, one lick for her..

I just shared a bowl of icecream with mine but didn't like to say in case I got lynched grin

Doearwigsmakechutney Sat 20-Jul-13 16:44:17

grin At rodentists

froubylou Sat 20-Jul-13 16:45:28

Oh. Is it not normal then?

What do you do with the dozen or so coco pops left in the inch or so of milk everytime someone has cereals? I find the dog licking it up saves the bin/plughole dilema.

If you bin it the milk will leak out of the bottom and over your floors if the bin bag bursts. If you chuck it down the sink you run the risk of blocking up your plug hole.

My little dog on the otherhand loves the left over bits of cereal (and leftovers generally). I could scrape it into her bowl I suppose but she only has a small bowl and sometimes she only wants certain bits off the plates.

Better for her to have a buffet I think than to faff around seperating bits she will eat, bits she might and bits she won't.

And if you come to my house and don't like it, don't eat here! Or I have some paper plates if you prefer?

There are probably billions of bacteria whizzing around in your kitchen on surfaces, cloths, door handles and even in your dishwasher as it cools between cycles.

My dogs mouth is probably quite clean in comparrison.

Yonididnaedaethat Sat 20-Jul-13 16:45:38

Meh mines don't lick the plate but I do feed them left overs off the fork shock

Twirlyhot Sat 20-Jul-13 16:50:03

Ew. Ewwww. My family has always had dogs around. I have dogs. None of them have ever been allowed to lick plates.

sweetkitty Sat 20-Jul-13 16:52:28

Thinking about it I grew up with dog kisses and the dogs drinking leftover tea from cups and licking the plates and we didn't have a dishwasher.

I have no allergies and am rarely unwell.

Our dog used to lick the next door neighbours child's hand all the time she had awful eczema and the dog licking her would make if better shock

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 20-Jul-13 16:53:21

Yanbu. Not merely from the licking the plate is gross point of view, because washing said plate does negate that issue (still blergh though).

It's also really bad from the perspective of having a well trained dog who doesn't beg/expect human food.

My dp did this a couple of times. I was furious. He doesn't do it anymore.

SarahStrattonIsBackForJustABit Sat 20-Jul-13 16:58:15

I shared an ice lolly with my dog the other day .. one lick for me, one lick for her.

Oh thank goodness, I'm not the only one. DDs call LittleDog, 'LittleBro'. I fear I'm destined to become one of those MILs. My future SILs are virtually guaranteed to turn up on here blush

GobblersKnob Sat 20-Jul-13 16:59:08

Alisvolatpropiis My dog would never beg for food, why would a dog expect to be given food off of a plate when all they have ever been given was the plate on the kitchen floor? That is not how dogs brains work.

As it is I do give my dog bits off of my plate, but only if he is lying in his basket with his head down, ie; I now have a dog that resembles a statue in it's bed at every mealtime, from start to finish, as he has learnt that this is the behaviour that wins him yummy treats. Dogs only repeat behaviour that is rewarding to them, that is how they are hardwired.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 20-Jul-13 17:03:20

Gobblers

To be honest I was being a tit saying it makes them beg for food. My dog doesn't beg for food despite getting some leftovers in her bowl. Same with yours,she knows she gets no treats that way. She does seem crestfallen is she doesn't get some leftovers though!

MothershipG Sat 20-Jul-13 17:17:58

Allowing a dog to beg from the table = annoying.

Allowing the dog to pre-wash the plates before they go in the dishwasher = practical!

I have a very cute picture of DDog3 actually in the dishwasher, he climbed in to get to the dishes at the back when I left it open and unattended for 2 mins!

SarahStrattonIsBackForJustABit Sat 20-Jul-13 17:23:17

I can't imagine not doing so, I never have any food waste, LittleDog very obligingly loves vegetables just as much as meat, and I never have to scrape plates clean either.

He gets excited over lettuce, and green beans, and you should see him with a banana. grin

TheCatIsUpTheDuff Sat 20-Jul-13 17:23:48

It's going to be washed. My cats fulful Froubylou's dog's function WRT the last bits of cereal, and they often share my glass of water. No digestive trouble for any of us.

LastTangoInDevonshire Sat 20-Jul-13 17:24:51

My dog and my plates. I'll do what I want OP !

pianodoodle Sat 20-Jul-13 17:33:51

I think YABU but whatever turns your stomach can't be helped I suppose.

I don't mind putting plates on the kitchen floor for the dog to polish off before I wash them.

Feenie Sat 20-Jul-13 17:34:50

Years and years ago, I had a massive row on the last day of our caravan holiday with my then boyfriend because he found me washing up the dog's bowl with the same washing up cloth as the rest of the washing up.

He correctly surmised that I must have done it every night for the last two weeks (he cooked, I washed up).

He was right about that - but I still don't see the problem!

officelady Sat 20-Jul-13 17:41:00

Our dog has learnt to recognise the word "dishwasher" - she practically climbs inside to have a good lick as the cleared plates are being loaded. We call it the pre wash in our house!

MacaYoniandCheese Sat 20-Jul-13 17:41:38

YABU. My dog practically lives in the dishwasher...she thinks it's her job to give everything a good going over before I turn it on. Don't worry, I won't invite you over, OP smile.

MacaYoniandCheese Sat 20-Jul-13 17:42:37

Wow! Bizarre x-post officelady grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now