To have my dog put down?(53 Posts)
My dog has spent the past 4 weeks in antibiotics and anti inflammatories due to a lump in her neck, which has a big pussing open wound on the surface. The lump has decreased in size, but she is in a LOT of pain and the wound is not healing. So far we have spent £300 on drugs to try and make her better. She has also lost about 10 kilos!
We took her to the vet this morning and now they are saying she needs surgery, blood work, biopsie, anaesthetic etc which will cost another £1000 due to the difficult location of the lump and that they probably won't be able to remove it all due to nerves and arteries and she will probably need another operation, and definitely need one if it is cancerous.
Our dilemma is, she was booked to be rehomed next week, but obviously no new owner is going to fork out the bill for this and we are going back to Australia, hence the reason she was being rehomed! So basically my husband wants to have her out down, but I'm not sure I can live with the guilt, without trying to get her better first.
What would you do?
I'm so sorry. But you did everything you could for her and it was the right thing to do in the end. Take comfort from that now, that and your lovely memories with her.
Bless that she loved cheese, every dog that I've ever had would do cartwheels for a piece of cheese.
We took her to the vet last weekend after doing some more tests to make sure she was on the right antibiotics, she was, it just wasn't getting better.
The vet said that the aggressive growth had now spread to her throat and said that there was absolutely nothing they could do.
I had already said my goodbyes at home, knowing this would probably happen, I gave her a MASSIVE piece of cheese (her favourite food) and cried and cried.
She was put to sleep and is now hopefully in a better place and out of pain. I miss her so much, but know it was for the best.
Thanks so much for all your support. I meant so much.
So sorry about your poor pup, terrible. Perhaps the way to think about it is that you are not prolonging her agony further, if she is PTS as she sounds extremely ill and you wont be around to ensure she is completely better.
Sadly, in years gone by, and if that animal were in the wild it would have died, nature would have intervened. Putting it through surgery could be just as cruel ( without you meaning to be).
You are doing the right thing Op, so sad and hard but it's the last nice thing you can do for your dog, save her all that pain and suffering. Hope you're ok and you too wiggles.
I'm very sorry, we are in the same situation, my dog is being put to sleep this week. She's old, tired, unable to move without pain and very unhappy. She's been part of our lives for 11 years. It's hard to believe she won't be here anymore but deep deep down I know it's the right thing to do, it's sort of the last thing I can do for her, she got me through some very difficult times and its my turn now to help her. I'll be thinking of you x
I'm afraid that, as a cynic, when a Vet talks about "Quality of Life" it normally means they need a new car so pay up....
You've done all you can, the poor animal is in pain & there's no guarantee that the (possibly multiple) operations will make a blind bit of difference. I'd go for the PTS option, if the vet will do it at home then she'll have a chance to go to sleep surrounded by people she loves, and in her own environment.
Sympathies for your situation & good luck whichever you decide.
Chocolate, that has made me well up. My mum's border collie has osteosarcoma & has apparently deteriorated recently so she's taking him to the vet tomorrow. I may well show her that poem & hope it helps a little.
I'm so sorry vegemite, I've been there.
Spoil her to bits, my cat absolutely loved the last week of her life. We didn't do crazy with food because we didn't want to cause any digestive distress, but before we took her to the vets we presented her with a banquet. She was thrilled. It's a nice memory.
Just to say, it's your call and PhTS is probably the right course of action but I know how much my dog means to me and it's a horrible decision to have to make. I can hardly even type this without crying at the thought of losing my beloved some time in the future. Bless you and hope you get through this OK.
I'd like to second what Larry said.
We had our much loved cat pts in December last year - he had cancer and was deteriorating fast. I was hoping he'd just die and we wouldn't have to do it but actually he was really peaceful, in our arms, and just slipped away. It was a good death, however heartbreaking.
Thinking of you xxx
poachedeggs that is a great post
chocolateicecream -sob that's so apt.
OP .......you have done all you can let her go with love. SO hard on you all.
I think the best option is to put the dog to sleep.
It doesn't make you a bad person.
Agree totally with missrlr, you have tried hard for your dog, it is time to accept that PTS is the correct decision for the dog in terms of welfare.
So for you.
You have tried to cure it, it is not working the prognosis is poor. PTS is morally better than keeping the dog alive to appease your ethics and guilt.
Oh OP I really do feel for you. I lost my beloved dog when pregnant with my eldest dd.
I thought that you might appreciate this poem.
IF I SHOULD GROW FRAIL
If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain does keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done
For this the last battle cant be won.
You will be sad I understand
But dont let grief then stay you hand.
For on this day, more than the rest
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldnt want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please let me go.
Take me to where my needs theyll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end.
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Dont grieve that it must now be you
Who has to decide this thing to do.
Weve been so close we two these years,
Dont let your heart hold any tears.
Julia Napier, copyright 1999
We had to have out dog pts recently
It was peaceful and dignified. She drifted away in our arms being stroked and spoken to gently.
It was a good end to a happy life
Thinking of you but please know that it isn't a bad way to go
Oh bless you.
My beloved dog got a tumour in his throat, he was 11 and I adored him.
Vet said there was a small chance treatment could prolong his life but we knew we couldn't explain the treatment to him and it seemed kinder to let him go in his prime, to see him more debilitated would have been heartbreaking, I'm so sorry this has happened to you.
I hope you have a peaceful and joyful week.
Aw how sad I think you are doing the right thing op you have given the dog every chance and all the love possible to help her get better. You may never know why this happened or if anything else could have been done and I do agree it would be unfair to keep her so miserable. I hope you enjoy the last week with her and she gets spoilt rotten. She will know how much you love her and it will be so quick and peaceful. So sorry op
I'm so sorry - I think you're doing the right thing. I went through a similar thing with my poor old girl back in 2005.
Just an update....
After another couple of weeks on antibiotics, we got swabs taken to make sure she was on the right medication etc and another couple of vets visits we have her booked in to get put down next weekend. She is not improving and I feel like we are delaying the inevitable.
I am devastated. This week she is getting spoilt, with all her favourite foods etc.
Thanks for all your comments. It has made this horrible decision a tiny bit easier and makes me feel like I am doing the right thing.
I would have her put to sleep, the poor thing. Not because she's inconvenient, or she's not worth the money, but because she's spending all her time in pain.
She's probably tired, hurting and very, very fed up of dealing with this 24/7.
My dog lives with my mum, she rang last month as his testicles were swollen (mad mad dog, so didnt take him to vets unless absolutely life or death) he's 13. Took him in and I commented his tummy was bigger than normal, he'd got a growth in his stomach and obviously something on his testes.
Vets were very honest, if it was on spleen it was operable, if anywhere else they could try but probably not get it all. I was quite upfront and said if it can't be fully removed then don't even risk a painful operation. They ultrasounded him and he'd got a massive growth on spleen and one on each testicle that couldbe fully removed. We went ahead and he's fine now. Had it not been removable we would have not had the op and bought him home to have his last limited time at home.
Don't put the dog through a very painful procedure if they can't get it all, my dog howled in pain (he is a wussy dog) for two days solid even on tramadol, he wouldn't sleep or anything, I would never put them through it unless the prognosis is really good.
Poachedeggs- what a fantastic post.
Where there's life, there's hope works for animals that have a sense of time and the future and are able to understand that things will get better. Or who will grow to understand that in the future. Sadly, dogs haven't.
OP- what a sad and horrible decision to have to make- be brave and kind and make the best decision for your dog.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.