To have my dog put down?

(53 Posts)
GiveMeVegemite Sat 20-Jul-13 16:08:05

My dog has spent the past 4 weeks in antibiotics and anti inflammatories due to a lump in her neck, which has a big pussing open wound on the surface. The lump has decreased in size, but she is in a LOT of pain and the wound is not healing. So far we have spent £300 on drugs to try and make her better. She has also lost about 10 kilos!

We took her to the vet this morning and now they are saying she needs surgery, blood work, biopsie, anaesthetic etc which will cost another £1000 due to the difficult location of the lump and that they probably won't be able to remove it all due to nerves and arteries and she will probably need another operation, and definitely need one if it is cancerous.

Our dilemma is, she was booked to be rehomed next week, but obviously no new owner is going to fork out the bill for this and we are going back to Australia, hence the reason she was being rehomed! So basically my husband wants to have her out down, but I'm not sure I can live with the guilt, without trying to get her better first.

What would you do?

GiveMeVegemite Thu 15-Aug-13 20:16:53

Final update.
We took her to the vet last weekend after doing some more tests to make sure she was on the right antibiotics, she was, it just wasn't getting better.
The vet said that the aggressive growth had now spread to her throat and said that there was absolutely nothing they could do.
I had already said my goodbyes at home, knowing this would probably happen, I gave her a MASSIVE piece of cheese (her favourite food) and cried and cried.
She was put to sleep and is now hopefully in a better place and out of pain. I miss her so much, but know it was for the best.
Thanks so much for all your support. I meant so much.

Coffeenowplease Thu 15-Aug-13 20:26:12

you did the right thing op. flowers for you.

WetDog Thu 15-Aug-13 21:34:56

I'm so sorry. But you did everything you could for her and it was the right thing to do in the end. Take comfort from that now, that and your lovely memories with her.

Bless that she loved cheese, every dog that I've ever had would do cartwheels for a piece of cheese.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now