To let DD (8) dip dye her hair?

(138 Posts)
cluckyduck Sat 20-Jul-13 15:16:58

Just that really.

She has asked, several times, to dye the ends of her - verrrry long - hair pink or lilac, on the condition that its chopped off sept 1st for school.

Will be no more than an inch but I feel conflicted. Part of me wants to encourage her to be creative and that there's nothing wrong with having fun with your appearance etc (based on my own issues as a child with DM, but that's another story!) but I am worried that people will judge her, and me!

It's the only thing she wants to do this summer and she wants to "look like a superhero"...

cluckyduck Sat 20-Jul-13 17:28:57

Honestly Worra I cannot name one.. But she does a lot of playing "Superheroes" with DS and dresses up in that role so I think she feels this is part of the look...

Souredstones Sat 20-Jul-13 17:31:29

My 8 year old has turquoise dip dye at the moment, did it yesterday.

Would echo the directions recommendations

DiseasesOfTheSheep Sat 20-Jul-13 17:35:42

Well that's a relief clucky grin

WaitMonkey Sat 20-Jul-13 17:36:03

Sounds great fun.

cluckyduck Sat 20-Jul-13 17:37:41

grin diseases

WorraLiberty Sat 20-Jul-13 17:38:20

I have honestly never seen a young child with dyed hair

I don't know how I feel about it really

I don't like seeing kids trying to look like adults, outside of a dressing up game.

They've got plenty of time to look like grown ups when they're grown up.

Are you sure the 'superhero' thing isn't just a red herring?

cluckyduck Sat 20-Jul-13 17:41:04

Well... I don't know what kind of "red herring " my 8yo would throw at me? She's n

mumofthemonsters808 Sat 20-Jul-13 17:42:15

I'm probably in the minority but I would not even let my 11 year old do this . She has years ahead of her in which she can do what she wants to her hair, but in the meantime she is a child who should just have hair a natural colour. But that's me I'm old fashioned.

cluckyduck Sat 20-Jul-13 17:43:00

Sorry pressed too soon...

She's never displayed any manipulative tendencies in the past that makes me question that she wants it for any other reason than a bit of fun? She is a very good, helpful, well behaved child and she wouldn't need to lie to me for this.

WorraLiberty Sat 20-Jul-13 17:45:46

I don't know OP

I'm just thinking if she said she wanted to look like a teenager you might say no.

Say it's because she wants to look like a superhero (even though you can't think of one with a dip dye) and you say yes?

If she had said she wants to look like a teenager and can she dye her hair, what would you have said?

cluckyduck Sat 20-Jul-13 17:46:16

I think I am overthinking this, it's only sodding hair!

Fumingorange Sat 20-Jul-13 17:50:01

Oooooh my dd's would love this!! They are 6&7 and loved Jessie j's black and blue hair. Where can you get the direction dye stuff from?

I don't see any harm in kids having fun with their hair, my dd's always have their hair sprayed different colours on Halloween and comic relief.

fuzzpig Sat 20-Jul-13 17:53:41

I'm on the fence. On one hand I think FGS it's only a temporary thing and in a way just a longer term version of bright nail varnish or something. Especially as you say it's only the ends and therefore not near her skin (all over dying would be a definite no from me, at that age)

But then part of me thinks, as Worra says, she has plenty of time to do this kind of thing when she's a teen. It seems... unnecessary. And I would certainly double take seeing a young child with any dyed hair. Even though my rational brain says my first paragraph above, my instinct says nooooo she's only little. confused

(my oldest is 6 BTW so not had this issue, and she doesn't even like face paint so probably won't come up for a while!)

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 20-Jul-13 17:54:29

My daughter did this at 15 last summer, bleached the colour out of the ends - about 3 inches then dyed the ends purple, when that had gone she did turquoise, her friend managed to do a three colour stripe, which was fab. When the colour had gone they were left with blonde ends which she still has.

My DD at 8 was all into wraps, those were her summer joys. Dip dyeing seems a bit grown up, but then in my son's class at primary, in year 6, girls had proper grown up highlights done, so whatttdoIknow?

Souredstones Sat 20-Jul-13 17:55:13

I got it on amazon because its cheap and I like dying my hair fun colours so my dd is only copying me

fuzzpig Sat 20-Jul-13 17:56:25

I've not even used any spray on colours for my DD yet - the school has annual 'mad hair day' things where the local shops stock loads of extra, but I don't buy them. Partly because of the mess admittedly! DD has never asked for hair colour anyway, she is happy with multiple plaits/clips etc.

WorraLiberty Sat 20-Jul-13 17:58:45

There'll be nothing left to do to themselves when they're teenagers fuzzpig grin

I feel the same about little boys with close cropped hair and razor patterns.

It looks nice but far too grown up imo

I've just realised I've become an old prude shock

AllOutOfIdeas Sat 20-Jul-13 17:58:48

I am tempted to do my dds hair- they are both under 6. But I have a load of kool aid packets and am intrigued to see how well this works

Souredstones Sat 20-Jul-13 18:00:59

Wtf kind of shit is in Kool aid that you can dye your hair?!

People ingest that stuff!!

ITCouldBeWorse Sat 20-Jul-13 18:04:37

How do you dip dye?

My 13yo is currently being mollified with synthetic clip in extensions, so I guess I am in the old fart school of thought. As I sit here with my dyed hair !

AllOutOfIdeas Sat 20-Jul-13 18:04:44

I have no idea! I was given a load of packets and never bothered to mix it up cos its quicker to open the squash bottle

BreadNameBread Sat 20-Jul-13 18:06:32

I would let her dip dye her hair and I would let her use a permanent dye.

I have to say that because I have let my DD dip dye her hair every summer for the past few years. I also let her have a pink, a purple and an orange permanent streak which looked fantastic. They faded to a natural colour by the time school resumed. My DD has lovely dark brown glossy hair and it looked particularly good dip dyed with bright red ends. When she put it up in a pony tail it looked like a weird foxes tail.

Dip dye = acceptable
Tattoos, nose rings etc = not acceptable

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Sat 20-Jul-13 18:06:42

No...too young.

WorraLiberty Sat 20-Jul-13 18:08:15

Orange spray tans for little children?

Are they acceptable?

WorraLiberty Sat 20-Jul-13 18:09:43

How about false eyelashes when they're going about everyday business and not just dressing up?

I'm just wondering what people see as acceptable for a little child on a normal, everyday basis?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now