To give my 2-year-old a smoothie every day?

(92 Posts)
stopgap Sat 20-Jul-13 12:58:15

I've read a lot of threads recently about the downsides of fruit intake, rotting teeth, and drinking through straws. Now I wonder if giving my son a smoothie every day--in his straw cup--is such a good idea. Typically the smoothie involves:

Hemp milk
Strawberries or blueberries
Cashew butter
Banana

My son has never had cow's milk, and the hemp milk is a great source of calcium, so I'm disinclined to stop, but then I wonder about the teeth issue...

yes, actually.

mainly because the act of making it a smoothie gets rid of all the fibre and other solid nutrients, so you're basically just giving him fruit sugar.

better to give him whole fruit, or those items in a muesli.

stopgap Sat 20-Jul-13 13:00:23

I should add that he has one more serving of fruit in the day, which is either an orange, an apple, melon, raspberries, goji berries or dried apricots.

cashew butter is yummy - on toast would be good.

hemp milk is good on muesli ( sainsbury's does one that's 50% fruit with no nuts)

strawberries and blueberries and banana all good as fruit on their own

stopgap Sat 20-Jul-13 13:02:17

UniqueandAmazing, I knew that about juicing, but not sticking fruit in a blender.

DD will eat 6 or 7 olives, banana, strawberries, whatever else i give her that she takes a fancy to, etc, as whole fruit.
just offer as a snack and it'll be fine.

try not to mush up food at all, because the nutrients are in the solidity.

HeySoulSister Sat 20-Jul-13 13:02:48

smoothies aren't as healthy as everyone thinks!

can he get calcium from elsewhere in his diet as milk isn't the best source

it's all the same process smile

HeySoulSister Sat 20-Jul-13 13:03:26

tho tbh i'm not sure what hempmilk actually is!!

GobblersKnob Sat 20-Jul-13 13:03:46

All fab things, that would be far better served as they are, agree, you are just giving him loads of sugar that will make him crash soon after.

yy Soul - calcium can be found in leafy green veg and herbs, too.
here from the vegan society

WMittens Sat 20-Jul-13 13:05:01

mainly because the act of making it a smoothie gets rid of all the fibre and other solid nutrients,

Erm, what? Care to explain?

GherkinsAreAce Sat 20-Jul-13 13:05:30

I would cut down to x 2 or 3 per week. Whole fruit is best.

Pigsmummy Sat 20-Jul-13 13:05:31

Why bother? Just give your child the food whole? Feeding himself will give good eating pratice, hand/eye coordination etc

how can there be more sugar in fruit blended and served than fruit whole - surely nothings been added or removed? <genuinely from a point of ignorance>

(it's an american site, so the bit about the calcium added to flour is not the case in the UK)

Thumbwitch Sat 20-Jul-13 13:08:30

Stopgap - blending the fruit obviously breaks down the natural structure of the fruit, more than chewing does. This means all the fruit sugars etc. are released from the natural cellular structures within the fruit, so your DD will get the sugar hit as soon as it goes into her mouth. Downsides = more sugar on her teeth, higher sugar spike in her blood sugars and actually an overall increase in sugar absorbed because it's more freely available.

stopgap Sat 20-Jul-13 13:08:47

Now I'm confused. This says smoothies aren't quite as good as the real thing, but by avoiding fruit juice as a base, the difference between whole fruit and a smoothie is negligible.

www.oprah.com/health/Does-Blending-Fruit-Reduce-Its-Fiber-Content

DS is actually a great eater, so I don't think he'll mind too much if his smoothie disappears from the menu.

As far as dairy, he eats cheese daily, melted on pasta or in a sandwich, and occasionally plain yoghurt, but he far prefers vegetables, meat and carbs to dairy.

Thumbwitch Sat 20-Jul-13 13:09:50

Gah, sorry, D S, not DD, and therefore his, not her.

DialsMavis Sat 20-Jul-13 13:10:34

I thought that using a juicer removed fibre, but blending whole fruit for a smoothie did not remove fibre? I read that the issue with smoothies is the effect on blood sugar.

Mittens - trying to find a research based source, but I've found this

and this quotes research

I would recommend him to eat the solid fruit wherever possible, and to give him water to drink.

Thumbwitch Sat 20-Jul-13 13:12:55

<<feels ignored>>

confused
you say he's never had cow's milk then you say "As far as dairy, he eats cheese daily, melted on pasta or in a sandwich, and occasionally plain yoghurt"
confused

they're all made out of cow's milk.

Thumby - i saw and agreed wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now