Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU to give up toliet training after one day?

(14 Posts)
Fantail Sat 20-Jul-13 11:10:18

DD is 2.4 almost 2.5. I thought she was ready to toliet train around her 2nd birthday, but we were moving cities and she was starting a new daycare. At that time she would tell us always when she had done wees or poos.

She also did a couple of wees on the toliet at home before her bath.

Fast forward a couple of months and she is now settled and still showing an interest at daycare. Will go and sit on the toliet in her clothes etc. so decided that this was the weekend to start. Talked about it, ready with the pink undies (at her request) and stickers as rewards, plus she has been telling people all week.

Come this morning she didnt want to put on undies, we are in NZ so a bit cold to run around bare bum. We finally coaxed her in, but she was clearly uncomfortable. Had three accidents in 1 1/2 hours. Had 3 more accidents in afternoon. Every time I had to change her it was an ordeal getting undies back on her and after the morning accidents didn't want anything more to do with toliet, until I suggested reading books etc.

My gut feeling is to try again tomorrow morning, but if it is clearly making her upset should I? AIBU to give in?

I think it is the undies more than anything else, she hates pull up nappies too for some reason.

maja00 Sat 20-Jul-13 11:13:45

Why not try without pants? I can't imagine that they make any difference in keeping her warm.

Chocchip88 Sat 20-Jul-13 11:16:35

Keep going! Day 1 for us was 100% fail, day 2 slight improvement and by day 3 he was using the potty everytime no problems.
I did the no pants thing, the problem now on day 7 is when he does wear pants we have a 100% failure rate, so we are treating today like Day 1 again but this time with pants.
Good luck!

hernow Sat 20-Jul-13 11:17:59

depends on many little things. Main thing is not to make it a big deal until they have actually achieved staying dry for months IMO. There are always accidents along the way even bad days after good weeks. If you have time to deal with the accidents and can start when you are not out to toddler groups etc then that's the best time to let her run around in pants or not having accidents or not. Good luck.

Fantail Sat 20-Jul-13 11:18:35

True. But on Monday she will have to wear them to day care. She can be very stubborn with clothes she likes or dislikes and I imagine if she thinks naked is ok, it will be the end on clothing her bottom half.

Fantail Sat 20-Jul-13 11:27:16

Thanks.

Chocc it is interesting you mention that. Makes me think I should persevere with the undies.

Hernow so you wouldn't offer frequent rewards?

BlackeyedSusan Sat 20-Jul-13 11:27:34

if she is getting upset, leave it and try again in a few weeks. it really is not a big deal.

maja00 Sat 20-Jul-13 11:28:25

Can she wear a skirt with no knickers to nursery?

I think you need a run of more than 2 days to potty train tbh, maybe try again when you are off work.

WilsonFrickett Sat 20-Jul-13 11:29:27

I would try again tomorrow, but if it's no better or still upsetting her, stop. As Chocc says, sometimes you see a dramatic improvement overnight. But if not, just stop and try again, it's no biggie.

Fantail Sat 20-Jul-13 11:51:49

After Monday I have Tuesday and Wednesday off work and as it is school holidays no activities or groups.

SageYourResoluteOracle Sat 20-Jul-13 13:38:24

I think if you've got Tuesday and Wednesday off work and day care are happy to continue what you've started then maybe give it more time.

We're on day 4 of training DD and it's pretty intense. After the first day, nothing had gone in the potty and there were damp patches everywhere even though DD was happy wearing her Big Girl Pants and happy sitting on the potty frequently. Out of stress, I'd eaten 2 packets of chocolate buttons that i'd bought thinking they'd be useful bribes incentives.

She got more into the potty by yesterday than she had accidents and s

SageYourResoluteOracle Sat 20-Jul-13 13:42:27

Gah. Hit 'send' too soon

Today (day 4) she's only wee'd once but in potty after telling us she needed to go and no accidents. Poo is another story. . . !

I've taken the whole week off to do this though. Pressure! And not my idea of a break but there you go. There's a nice thread started by Englishbreakfast on the potty training board if you fancy joining in as several of us have wanted to throw in the towel.

Mumsyblouse Sat 20-Jul-13 13:42:32

Out of stress, I'd eaten 2 packets of chocolate buttons that i'd bought thinking they'd be useful bribes incentives.

I had to laugh at this. OP, I also found first day of potty training was awful, no wees in potty whatsoever, but my dd did start to learn that a) it's horrible to be wet when you don't have super-absorbent nappies and b) that it's really great to get a sticker and get lots of fuss (some people do treats too). We cracked it after three days. See how you go, but I wouldn't be discouraged by a bad first day, but if she doesn't want to put the knickers on, why not just let her pull on trousers/skirt anyway, because it's not all about the pants, but knowing when you need to go and why.

SageYourResoluteOracle Sat 20-Jul-13 13:46:19

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now