Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think the Government should reintroduce the workhouse

(144 Posts)
kim147 Sat 20-Jul-13 08:17:56

Look at the advantages

You can have all the poor people in one place
Feed people cheaply and altogether so that keeps the cost down
Forget having to find a job, just use people for cheap labour in the workhouse.
Access limit to partners so no sex and therefore new children are born to "sponge off the state".
Control their off site limit so their influence does not corrupt honest workers.
Limit the TV to educational programmes - no Jeremy Kyle
Introduce exercise programmes probably run by the Army so the NHS costs come down in the future.

I'm surprised the Daily Mail the Government hasn't thought of it. It would cut the welfare bill massively.

Any thoughts?

<Disclaimer - obviously a sarcastic thread but I bet some people don't read this and think I'm being serious>

claraschu Sat 20-Jul-13 08:24:10

You forgot:
Shorter life expectancy, so fewer medical and care costs for OAPs
Possibility that infectious disease would spread more efficiently and further cut cost of care for the unfit

I wouldn't be surprised if this government are building up to it.

RoooneyMara Sat 20-Jul-13 08:26:17

I think it's in the longer term plan tbh

kim147 Sat 20-Jul-13 08:27:33

I wonder how'll they brand it?

MrsGeologist Sat 20-Jul-13 08:30:00

Lower life expectancy would decrease the surplus population <channels Scrooge>

picnicbasketcase Sat 20-Jul-13 08:30:30

They'll be called 'Big Society Houses' instead

Leverette Sat 20-Jul-13 08:30:48

I can see it happening...I'd bet a million pounds the concept is being explored; it's just a case of ironing out some technicalities

Allthingspretty Sat 20-Jul-13 08:32:48

It already feels like we are going back to the time of undeserving and deserving poor

GobbySadcase Sat 20-Jul-13 08:33:09

I can see it being holiday camps with gas chambers round the back, tbh. To get rid of the defectives like my kids.

RoooneyMara Sat 20-Jul-13 08:33:31

We're there already. It's happened. That's exactly where we are.

RoooneyMara Sat 20-Jul-13 08:33:50

@Allthingspretty

VelvetStrider Sat 20-Jul-13 08:43:46

Ooh, and a ready supply of wet nurses so middle class mothers can go back to work earlier without affecting the breastfeeding stats.

Plenty of subjects for testing new drugs - we could cure all sorts of nasty diseases much sooner. After all, they replicated Pavlov's dog experiments on workhouse children, may as well test them with other stuff too!

Only trouble is, most of the old workhouse buildings have been converted into luxury flats now, so where would you house them all? hmm grin

ConferencePear Sat 20-Jul-13 08:49:55

A Tory MP suggested something of the sort for single mothers a while ago. A"home" where they could be superviised.
We are most definitely back to the deserving and undeserving poor.

tethersend Sat 20-Jul-13 08:53:07

Don't be silly Velvet, the inmates should be forced to be aspirational- they can buy their luxury flat cells.

kim147 Sat 20-Jul-13 08:54:29

You can see how propaganda and "mission creep" stigmatises people and leads to people being marginalised.

RoooneyMara Sat 20-Jul-13 08:57:11

I do think it's a possibility. I really do. Children will be put in wraparound care so that their mothers can be shipped out to work, hostels will be locked all day, that sort of thing. It's not beyond the bounds of possibility.

Heartbrokenmum73 Sat 20-Jul-13 08:58:29

Yes please. I'm about to become a single parent (probably have to claim benefits too - bad me, bad!) so I shall sign me and my sponging kids up for this. I feel that it's probably all we deserve at this point. After all, I just kept popping out those kids (3 in total) while I was employed and in a stable relationship. It's most certainly not anyone else's fault that I got made redundant and couldn't get another job to cover childcare costs or that my STBEx has decided he wants out - must therefore be mine. I definitely don't want to be a burden on all those 'hard-working taxpayers' out there.

Can we also bring back the lash? Enforced sterilisation of us irresponsible baby machines? And the stocks? I suspect I need a good long stint to think about my poor decisions grin

kim147 Sat 20-Jul-13 09:05:42

I saw some stocks last week. DS asked me what they were for. I can see stocks being brought back as well.

deemented Sat 20-Jul-13 09:09:05

You've obviously not visited a LA run 'care' home recently...

internationallove985 Sat 20-Jul-13 11:06:08

Y.B..V.V.V.V. U. They are poor not criminals. Being impoverished can happen to anyone. Yourself included. Please take heed that karma is like God and sees and hears everything and one day when you least expect it she may pay you a visit in the form of unemployment and poverty.
It's wrong to pass judgement as you do not know people's reasons or situations. What are you suggesting the poor do. Not claim benefits and let their families starve because of closed minded people like yourself. x

notsochic Sat 20-Jul-13 11:13:14

Hmmmm not sure international read to the end

Emilythornesbff Sat 20-Jul-13 11:19:17

So relieved you were being sarcastic.
I was about to write a reply that would've been immediately deleted.
grin

Bluecarrot Sat 20-Jul-13 11:19:17

Aren't there places like this in Asia now? Their diet is controlled and everything sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now