To think awarding medals/prizes for 100% attendance is really rewarding good antibodies, strong constitutions and a bit of luck.

(85 Posts)
Sleep404 Fri 19-Jul-13 22:09:23

I just don't get this policy. It doesn't encourage or insentivise kids and likely makes them either have a dont care attitude or upsets them as they lose out through no fault of their own.

Who's the target?
Kids who play truant arent going to suddenly show up because of an award/prize on the last day of term, so it can't be them.
Mums and Dads who take their kids out of school for special trips or holidays will likely see the benefits of the holiday, be it financial or educational, as more important than the reward.
So that leaves the kids who make every effort to attend every day, but through no fault of their own, they get sick and miss a few days. Why punish them further by implying they have done something wrong.

I find this utterly baffling.

thecatfromjapan Sat 20-Jul-13 15:34:41

I think the point is this: You know how some schools have a "No children in school 24 hours after vomiting" policy, and some have a "No child in school 48 hours after vomiting" thing? Well, the point about all these prizes, medals, certificates, etc. is to tell parents - in secret language - to ignore the official policy. That, in fact, is for losers.

In fact, schools with certificates for 100% attendance are saying: "Dose your children up with calpol if they are feeling off; put calpol in their water bottles if necessary; keep quiet about the vomiting: drop 'em here and run, run, run."

So. Just so long as we all have that straight, everything is fine.

OwlinaTree Sat 20-Jul-13 15:41:56

I think that's a bit sad thecatfromjapan. That's not what they are saying at all. Is it beyond the possibility of your brain that they might not have been ill? I had 2 winners this year in class. They were quite genuine, not sent in ill etc. Yes, it's luck, but it is nice to recognise this, it is an achievement.

thecatfromjapan Sat 20-Jul-13 15:42:05

Ah. I see Mumoftwoyoungkids has already posted something v. similar.

thecatfromjapan Sat 20-Jul-13 15:45:22

Owlinatree: "Is it beyond the possibility of your brain that they might not have been ill?"

Bit of a harsh response for what was a slightly (I don't consider myself to be Oscar Wilde of Jonathon Swift) funny response to a not-terribly-pressing modern issue.

You want to pace yourself there. What insults are you going to have left up your sleeve when you find your husband shagging your pet dog?

OwlinaTree Sat 20-Jul-13 15:47:24

Well I found what you said a bit pointless to be honest. Think I'll leave this thread now, seems it's just another school bashing attempt.

Heartbrokenmum73 Sat 20-Jul-13 15:48:46

Yeah, punctuality awards. Fantastic for those who live five mins walk away or have a decent car. Those of us who have to rely on a crappy bus service stand no chance though, so thanks for that.

Attendance and punctuality awards are a crock of shit. As stated time and again, throughout this thread, they penalise those with health issues or unavoidable appointments (two of my DC have had speech therapy in the past - only available during school hours - at the insistence of the school!). Generally, my DC are healthy, but before Christmas a horrendous bug swept the school and pretty much everyone ended up with at least 48 hours off at some point, including my 3. Not their fault but they would have lost out on 100% attendance, if their school didn't already see what a stupid idea those kinds of awards are.

Attendance is NOT an achievement - please stop deluding yourselves grin

Icantstopeatinglol Sat 20-Jul-13 16:03:39

Owlina, how is it an achievement to not get poorly? Surely it's just pure luck?
My ds has been off school with chicken pox and a vomiting bug this year and the 48hr rule meant he was off 3 days not just 1 when he was only poorly on the first day. This just makes me tempted to lie and send him in on the 2nd day! Although I would only do that if he was physically ok.
It just makes no sense to me the attendance awards. It's a total pain in the arse for me if one of my dc is poorly as it means I have to take time off work which isn't great.
Out of 50 kids in my ds reception year only 2 got 100% and they made such a song and dance about it.
I would love him to make it into school as much as possible but if he's poorly then he can't simple as that!

JazzDalek Sat 20-Jul-13 16:17:29

YANBU, it is utterly nonsensical.

They don't have this at my DCs' school, thank God. Neither of mine would get it because I keep them home if they are ill - I feel strongly about it, actually. I'll send them in with a cold, but anything more - high temp, lethargy, pain, especially sickness - I keep them home, for their own good and that of their peers. They are only little and when fighting off a virus they need to be home, snuggled on the sofa with DVDs, books, drinks and good food, not schlepping off to school to infect everyone else whilst putting their own systems under more stress.

CokeFan Sat 20-Jul-13 17:20:33

If you can't get to school on time on a regular basis because of traffic/buses/whatever then it's a problem that needs sorting - for the DC, who miss out on whatever happens first in the day and for everyone else in the class who get interrupted when the latecomers arrive.

Presumably the solution to the problem will depend on the cause - move school, find alternative transport or make an arrangement with the school that you arrive later - find a workaround.

100% attendance awards can only be motivators up until the first day you miss (for whatever reason). Once you've missed out on the prize for the term or the year you might as well have more time off.

jamdonut Sat 20-Jul-13 20:43:06

It seems (in our school at least) the children are fairly accepting of the fact that they won't get a certificate if they are off ill.They don't seem bothered by it,in the same way that they accept they won't get a certificate for good behaviour if they have had a yellow or red card.

There are plenty of other awards that children can receive ,one way or another.

If it was the ONLY way to receive an award I could understand people getting upset about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now