Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Free school meals and summer holidays

(347 Posts)
McNewPants2013 Fri 19-Jul-13 20:51:00

I was thinking about this today.

I will have an extra £10 per week dude to not paying for school meals, but if people are entitled to FSM I can see many families struggling to provide these extra meals at home.

Do you think that school canteens should open or the parents get extra money to cover the shortfall.

fedupofnamechanging Fri 19-Jul-13 22:00:22

I don't think it is that difficult to explain Happy - some children are underfed because the cost of living I'd rising and benefits are being cut!

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Fri 19-Jul-13 22:01:32

The thought of little children going without an adequate meal a day for six weeks makes me feel sick. It will happen. They will be hungry. I know children who will be affected this summer.
If anyone is fucking stupid and wicked enough to think FSM are a 'nice bonus' then they are a deluded twat at best.

Xmasbaby11 Fri 19-Jul-13 22:02:22

I think parents have to factor in the varying costs over the whole year - I mean there are frequent holidays, not just the summer. In the holidays they are saving travel costs to school, potential day trips, and having to wear out an expensive school uniform.

I'm not saying it isn't difficult for parents to provide for their children, but there is only so much the government can provide.

HappyDoll Fri 19-Jul-13 22:06:03

Like I said, searching, detailed and difficult questions. Your simple explanation is non-effective in providing any answer what-so-ever.

And again with the name calling and insults. It doesn't help.

HappyDoll Fri 19-Jul-13 22:07:29

And for the record, I am also sickened to the core that children may go hungry this summer.

McBalls Fri 19-Jul-13 22:09:24

FFS.
Fsm are the only meals some kids get? They'd be 'even more' malnourished and ill than they already are without them?

No fucking wonder there's such a piss-poor uptake of fsm if that's the perception.

Fsm eligible ones not = feckless.

McBalls Fri 19-Jul-13 22:09:36

Does not*

Bogeyface Fri 19-Jul-13 22:11:24

HAppy Rather than criticise the article, or insist that difficult and detailed questions must be asked, why not just answer the question?

What can be done during the school holidays for families that, for whatever reason, need FSM in order to manage?

Stop giving politicians answers and trying to avoid saying what you really think.

somewheresomehow Fri 19-Jul-13 22:13:27

asda on a sunday around half 3/ 4 just before they shut you can get loads of really cheap stuff
im not sure about kids staving over the summer because of no fsm hmm

Bogeyface Fri 19-Jul-13 22:14:02

Oh and further to your comment above about costs of a FSM being less than the cost of a portion of a family meal. You are right that to a parent paying for a SM, it is far more, £2.10 in our school. But it isnt that cost for FSM as they are paid at cost price, which often less than a pound and in some places less than 50p per portion. The budgets for SM are woeful.

Bogeyface Fri 19-Jul-13 22:14:40

And how do you get to Asda on a Sunday at 3:30 when you are already struggling for money?

tethersend Fri 19-Jul-13 22:16:09

"That responsibility is mine and mine alone."

I disagree with this. Feeding hungry children is the responsibility of a first-world state. Even if the children are hungry through their parents' recklessness. Which most of them certainly are not.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Fri 19-Jul-13 22:16:10

McBalls, of course not all children on FSM will go hungry this summer but make no mistake that plenty will. Have you ever seen little children sit quietly at a table, no chatter at all and just devour everything in front of them? Stopping only to refill their plates and get more for younger siblings. Eating perhaps more than you could manage in a sitting. It is strange and frightening. Really eerie compared to how my children behave at mealtime. FSM are essential for many.

SaucyJack Fri 19-Jul-13 22:16:33

Walk Bogeyface......?

parkin2010 Fri 19-Jul-13 22:16:49

Sorry but as someone who has been on income support benefits for 18 months in the past, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to feed your child adequately unless you are buying unnecessary things. I don't think it's right we make condescending excuses for those who don't budget properly or spend benefit meant primarily for their children on themselves. I can't comment about other types of benefit as I haven't ever received them so I have no understanding of what money etc for those is like.

EeTraceyluv Fri 19-Jul-13 22:17:39

And where is this food to come from? Where is the money to buy this food to come from? Do you think that people who are already on the bones of their arses thanks to cuts in benefit and fuel poverty can just pull tenners out of their arses
Equally, where are people like 'us' who have seen our wages stay shit but everything else go up beyond belief expected to cope with six weeks of holiday when we cannot all get the time off? As I said upthread we have juggled and can just about do it but I know plenty who can't

Sorry but it needs to be said. people in 'poverty' are not only benefit claimants.

SaucyJack Fri 19-Jul-13 22:18:03

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Fri 19-Jul-13 22:18:31

"That responsibility is mine and mine alone."

I disagree with this. Feeding hungry children is the responsibility of a first-world state. Even if the children are hungry through their parents' recklessness. Which most of them certainly are not.

EXACTLY.

EeTraceyluv Fri 19-Jul-13 22:18:56

My dh is in sainsburys or tescos every night at 7 to get the 'bargains'. Oh yes, we have a car (just) We need it for work

ImNotBloody14 Fri 19-Jul-13 22:19:15

My ds gets FSM and as a result was also entitled to a free place in the summer scheme connected to the school. They get a snack of juice and either a biscuit or toast. Ok so it's not a hot meal but the scheme runs for 3 weeks and it's better than not having a scheme and a snack. I think this is te first year they have been able to offer free places for FSM eligible dcs. Just wanted to post to say that there are places already offering free places for FSM dcs.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Fri 19-Jul-13 22:21:23

Saucy, you really are showing your true colours. How balanced, rational and generous of spirit you appear.... Thank goodness there are far better people than you out there.

Bogeyface Fri 19-Jul-13 22:23:51

Walk Bogeyface......?

Would that be with or without the hungry children in tow? Asda is 3 miles from my house, a 6 mile round trip on foot with no guarantee of getting anything worth eating at the end of it? I can see why people dont bother!

This thread is just another example of "not on my taxes" when any one of you could be on your arses. I was this smug until last november when with no notice, no owed wages and no severance pay, my husband was made redundant. He got to work and then got told he had to contact his staff, tell them, and then go home.

There but for the grace of God go you all.

IneedAyoniNickname Fri 19-Jul-13 22:23:57

Well I could walk to Asda to get these amazing bargains (which don't always exist). I mean it would only take 2-3 hours each way!

noisytoys Fri 19-Jul-13 22:25:22

It breaks my heart that little children will go without food this summer. Little children that are friends of my DCs. Little children that I know personally but aren't in a position to help sad

SaucyJack Fri 19-Jul-13 22:25:46

WTF property

Am I writing in Mandarin?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now