Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Child thrown off school trip for eating chocolate, seriously?!

(73 Posts)
Sparklysilversequins Fri 19-Jul-13 17:30:37

AIBU to think this is absolutely ridiculous? Would you have gone and picked your child up?

here

phantomnamechanger Fri 19-Jul-13 20:51:23

oh here we go again, tonnes of people who were not there and do not know the people concerned are prepared to take the word of a mother who would have her young child pouting in the paper and slagging off the school, rather than give the school staff credit for acting in a proper and professional manner.

That the head took a photo meant she KNEW this mother might kick off with deny deny deny, my child is an angel blah blah blah. This woman is the same as the "caring mum" who packed her 16yo off to the prom she had been forbidden to attend, then went crying to the paper when the child was turned away.
All they have taught their kids is that mummy will let them get away with anything and will back them even when they are in the wrong. The correct way to react is to be cross with the child and put some of the blame on yourself for parenting that has allowed them to think this was acceptable behaviour. That's assuming the mum knew nothing about the stash and the girl planned it all, which actually I don't think is the case, I think this was the mother having a little dig at the staff and the rule, sticking 2 fingers up and telling her DD ignore them,this will be our little secret.

phantomnamechanger Fri 19-Jul-13 20:54:53

why the hang up over the letter. Its a SCHOOL, the teachers set them an educational task, and then looked at the work! Maybe to check who had understood a concept covered last week in class, or check for progress since last they wrote letters in school, who knows. the parents back home would welcome some contact from their child in that time they were away. It's nice, to hear in your child's own words, what they have been getting up to on the trip. Kids need planned activities to keep them busy while waiting the next meal/trip out.

Ezio Fri 19-Jul-13 21:03:56

From the bottom off the story

Firstly I would like to express my shock at the Watford observer printing this article and giving the Mcann family a platform to voice complete lies!

My child attends Bromet school and i do not like to speak badly of another child but Holly Mcann's bad behaviour constantly distracted my child at school and she was extremely bad behaved on many occasions at school.

From what my child has told me holly never listened to instructions and was constantly disruptive. Hollys behaviour made her lose popularity with her peers because she broke rules , and behaved inappropriately , and immaturely on many occasions .

Especially on the school trip where her behaviour at the beach was unacceptable and dangerous . They were set rules at the beach and holly broke them ! Any rules of safety set by the school to protect the children holly would ignore.

Before the children went on the trip we signed a consent form that clearly listed unacceptable behaviour and we signed that the children would not bring any foods into the hotel rooms, this is because the hotel it's self has banned food in rooms and set this rule very firmly to the school.

Breaking this rule would result in the school not being able to use that hotel again and therefore future year 6 children would miss out on the trip !

What isn't made clear in this article is that Mrs Graves took photographic evidence of what was found in Holly's Suitcase , it was a huge bag full of over £30 worth of food and that isn't including what the children had already eaten! So you the Watford observer printing it was three chocolate bars is lies !

The children were sat down on the trip and it was explained to them why holly had to leave the trip and they were later shown the photo of the food, my child was shocked that holly's mum would give holly that much food to take and would break the rules like that.

I would like to point out that the McCann family at Bromet school are known as criminals and bully's and on one ocassion Mrs McCann was seen arguing with another Parent and threatening her in the playground . Oh and from her confidence and persona she doesn't strike me as a nervous person that suffers from panic attacks she is capable of working !!!!! She suffers from a syndrome called I will sit down and claim benefits and live off of the tax payers Money .

Many other Parents would like to also like to show there disgust at this article but are too afraid to because of threatening past behaviour and the violence and trouble that the family is known for.

My child found it refreshing that holly did not attend the last few weeks of school because they were able to concentrate better . I cannot stress enough what a fantastic school Bromet is with phenomenal staff ! my child had a fantastic year 6 ! i have just attended a fantastic show put on by year 6 that the school put a huge effort into making a sucess and it was fantastic ! And each child given a year 6 leavers book as a memory of their peers ! A great send off for my child to secondary school .

Mrs Graves is an incredible hard working head teacher who dedicates her life to the children and the school. I would like to point out not many other head teachers have the solid relationships with every single child who attends their school like Mrs Graves does, the children adore her and so does my child !

Many other head teachers wouldn't attend a year 6 week long trip with their pupils like Mrs Graves, she Always put the children's welfare and education first and attends every trip!

Mrs graves always arranges trips to the westend for the children and has given so many children the opportunity to experience so many different things at school that to hear her bad mouthed in this way is wrong !

This is Not a ruleless society Holly's mum has clearly set her no rules in life and given her no guidance because she behaves as she pleases and her new secondary school will witness this .

Why mrs mcann would like to publically want to show how she broke the set rules and expects every body to accept it is beyond me ! She has no grounds ! She has a disruptive child that she needs to guide and support and it was extremely unacceptable to give her the bag full of food in the first place ! Why would the Watford observer give her the time of day !!!

Rules are set for a reason ! Break them and face the consequence ! What safety could to have at a school with our rules set in place to protect our children !

BoneyBackJefferson Fri 19-Jul-13 21:03:58

Sparklysilversequins

Maybe the reason posters put forward that there must be more to this is because we all know parents like this.

I have never worked at a school that didn't have at least one parent say that the school had it in for their child and I have never known a teacher that hasn't been told by a parent that they are a bully.

I also know that the school/teacher will never be able to put their side of the story to the press and if that makes me "defensive" (re corny) then fine. But until schools can go to the press and fully disclose their side of the story I will always say that there must be more to it.

its been said by others that this was not a 'private' letter home but a set writing task that was always going to be seen by teachers.

I mean think about it... what child that age is going to voluntarily write a letter rather than text/ring/email/tweet.

Well done school for implementing the consequences of bad behaviour. many wouldn't.

ParvatiTheWitch Fri 19-Jul-13 23:02:37

I don't know about snobbery; I haven't classified these people, they just sound as if they think they don't have to do what everyone has too and if it causes trouble, then they have absolutely no shame in approaching the press. Thick as fuck then. "Holli's" Mum needs to behave and show her child a good example. That poor kid won't do well, I would put money on it, and it will be no fault of her own. If you want to call that snobbery, go right ahead. Innit wink

ParvatiTheWitch Fri 19-Jul-13 23:05:38

To, ffs, not "too"

cornyblend37 Sat 20-Jul-13 07:29:02

that letter is awful!

ClaraOswald Sat 20-Jul-13 08:23:11

Why is it so awful?

It redresses the bias shown in the article and other, not so full, comments that support what is said in it.

cornyblend37 Sat 20-Jul-13 08:35:26

Why is it so awful? Well benefit bashing for a start ...but being so negative about an 11 year old child is awful. It all seems to be based on playground gossip as well.

ClaraOswald Sat 20-Jul-13 08:46:01

Playground gossip, or experiences of their own child or witnessed by themselves?

It isn't benefit bashing- I think that she has concentrated on the poor behaviour rather than "scum, scum, scum".

It all boils down to the fact that the school stuck to their guns and the mother isn't used to not getting her own way and has been encouraging that in her kid. Ridiculous, entitled behaviour.

HerculePoirotsTache Sat 20-Jul-13 09:40:34

It all boils down to the fact that the school stuck to their guns and the mother isn't used to not getting her own way and has been encouraging that in her kid. Ridiculous, entitled behaviour.

^ This

You break the rules, you take the consequences. It reminded me of that ridiculous prom girl last week.

HerculePoirotsTache Sat 20-Jul-13 09:40:51

Italics fails grin

sashh Sat 20-Jul-13 11:45:13

I think if I owned a hotel that was allowing a primary school group to stay I would have a 'no food in rooms' rule and if the group didn't comply then they would not be allowed back.

The school had an agreement that the parent signed, then helped her daughter break. An expensive lesson for mum and a good one for her dd.

Tanith Sat 20-Jul-13 14:06:26

I wonder if her mum realises that she's marked her daughter's (and her own) card so far as the secondary school is concerned?

cory Sat 20-Jul-13 16:11:26

There was the issue of the food. If the hotel has banned food and somebody smuggles in large quantities, that may well mean that the hotel will not accept bookings from this particular school again- so the lower years will miss out on this trip.

Then the issue that Holli, having already misbehaved on the beach and ignored safety instructions, was planning a late night feast, if not a midnight feast, which seems a pretty good way of ignoring safety instructions again.

A hotel is not a family sleepover; if the teachers are to get any rest they need to feel sure that the pupils are going to obey instructions about lights out and staying in bed.

At 11, it is very likely that Holli doesn't understand the rationale behind these rules. That is why she was asked to sign a behaviour agreement and stick to it if she wanted to go on the trip in the first place.

The HT, by organising the trip has made a commitment to the families of all the children that they will be kept safe. She has also made a commitment to the hotel regarding the good behaviour of the children. Both these commitments rely on children respecting the good behaviour charter they have signed.

ReallyTired England Sat 20-Jul-13 17:04:36

I feel sorry for Holi. The poor kid doesn't stand a chance with a mother like that. It sounds like that there were a catalog of poor behaviour that led to Holi being kicked off the trip.

Prehaps the teachers felt that they could not ensure the safety of the other children with Holi on the trip. Extreme behaviour gets children suspended from school and its logical that dangerous behaviour on the beach and a large haul of chocolate should be severely punished.

ThingsThatMakeYouGoHmmmmmmmmm Sat 20-Jul-13 17:50:24

Benefits bashing versus teacher bashing on MN.........gringrin

ParvatiTheWitch Sat 20-Jul-13 17:54:54

I don't understand why it's benefits bashing. I didn't think anyone knew the situation of that family or whether they were on benefits. I haven't seen it mentioned.

I was slagging the mother for being as think as mince and for teaching her child a very poor lesson in life. I don't care who is on benefits and who isn't; just fucking behave!

ParvatiTheWitch Sat 20-Jul-13 17:55:33

I meant that to the Holli mother person, not to you Things.

BridgetBidet Sat 20-Jul-13 18:16:53

I feel sorry for Holli, but it's all her Mum's fault. She shouldn't have given her the food in the first place and certainly shouldn't have gone to the press about it.

I don't think they can complain now if the reaction to her is not as they hoped. Because it would be unfair for the school and the teachers to take all the flack for this when they've not done anything wrong. Any bad reaction can have the entire blame put at her mother's door.

ThingsThatMakeYouGoHmmmmmmmmm Sat 20-Jul-13 18:35:30

Parvati - no worries smile

Just seemed that the benfit bashing in the parents remarks quoted upthread was conveniently ignored. I wonder if it would have been had she been spouting ill informed claptrap about,say, teachers long holidays....... wink

cornyblend37 Sat 20-Jul-13 19:08:52

'Oh and from her confidence and persona she doesn't strike me as a nervous person that suffers from panic attacks she is capable of working !!!!! She suffers from a syndrome called I will sit down and claim benefits and live off of the tax payers Money .'

this is benefit bashing surely?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now