Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

having time off work due to heat?

(191 Posts)
IneedAyoniNickname Thu 18-Jul-13 23:36:59

I've seen a couple of things on facebook, saying that they (the govt) are considering allowing people in non.essential jobs to not have to go to work if temperatures reach 30 degrees or more.

The people that have posted about it all work in essential jobs, mainly care work. They were all of the opinion that if they have to work, everyone does. Ans part of me agrees.

BUT, surely they chose to have that career, knowing they didn't get time of for Christmas/Easter/bank holidays/extreme weather.

So what do mners think? Should people be able to stay at home, particularly those who work in un air conditioned places, in non essential roles?

What about young school children? Ds2 was actually sick. with the heat, so has had to stay off school for the last day and a half of term. Mum also suffers badly with heat, and occasionally passes. This is despite drinking plenty and avoiding sun.

Btw, my career plan is nursing, if I get into uni next year. I'm going into it knowing I'll have to manage in all extremes of weather.

Tweasels Fri 19-Jul-13 00:02:34

I was thinking about what are non essential jobs and many of the ones I can think of are either outdoor based or likely to be in premises with air con (private sector).

Essential jobs are usually in the public sector where you are more likely to be based in a dilapidated, not fit for purpose building with no adequate ventilation.

Must be FB bullshit.

Although if I were PM, we'd all get a day off once the temp hit 22 degrees grin

IneedAyoniNickname Fri 19-Jul-13 00:02:53

married so are you saying they should have to work? Or shouldn't? Or should but have a siesta?

Maryz probably, but I don't actually know anyone who's had time off for heat so can't ask!

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Fri 19-Jul-13 00:03:44

Going to the beach will be compulsory for most of them Mary, they'll need to to cool off.

xylem8 Fri 19-Jul-13 00:05:35

I don't know why people are drawing parallels with hot countries
1 Their bodies are acclimatised to it
2They take a siesta

This country is mad where heat is concerned

My sons school thought it was a good idea to take reception children on a 2.5 hour walk today with very little shade, setting off at 1pm-the heat of the day.This is an OFSTED outstanding school- zero common sense

Cluffyflump Fri 19-Jul-13 00:05:37

I've had a call from one employee,
He's off work tomorrow due to heat exhaustion (construction).
We've checked up on the others who were working with him today and they are all ok, so we are telling them to take care and pull off at the slightest hint that they are unwell.
I trust all of them and I don't want anyone hurt.
Not all bosses are as fab as me though!

IneedAyoniNickname Fri 19-Jul-13 00:06:01

Right I'm voting *tweasels for PM in the next election grin

marriedinwhiteagain Fri 19-Jul-13 00:06:14

I'm saying people should work but wherever possible make adjustments to make it as bearable as possible. I was in early today and came home for a couple of hours at lunch time. Went back in at 2.20 and worked until 7.45pm.

xylem8 Fri 19-Jul-13 00:07:05

'cluffylump' by the time they feel unwell it is too late!

IneedAyoniNickname Fri 19-Jul-13 00:08:41

cluffy I know of one construction worker who collapsed at work and had to have an ambulance called. But he's been on a crap diet, so hardly eating or drinking! He's now been signed off for a few days.

IneedAyoniNickname Fri 19-Jul-13 00:10:19

Ah. Ok thanks married that makes sense in jobs where its workable. My mum works from home, so works when its coolest in her office. But she is lucky to have that option I guess.

ImNotBloody14 Fri 19-Jul-13 00:12:53

I think its bloody ridiculous- the country cant grind to a halt because it's warm! Non essential jobs? How do we define those? The bakers in asda? Do they get to stay home? Maybe all of asda? All shops? Leisure centres? They economy would go right down the pan. Pathetic that it has even been suggested.

Cluffyflump Fri 19-Jul-13 00:14:18

I have explained the dangers of heat stroke to them (covered in h&s talk).
The guy who was ill tonight was the one who had sun cream and a hat!
Builders are a bloody nightmare.
I will be having strong words when he has recovered though.
No job is worth risking your health for.
Even if they are working for me!

DiseasesOfTheSheep Fri 19-Jul-13 00:17:34

Daft idea... But I do think that companies have a responsibility to ensure sensible working conditions - which may include air con in certain circumstances (e.g. working in a small area with a lot of electrical equipment, where the windows can't be opened or fans used - for various H&S and logistical reasons -and where you have to wear additional layers of clothing, meaning that the working temperature is ridiculous in this weather).

dayshiftdoris Fri 19-Jul-13 00:18:52

OP

Nursing may well be a vocation that you become dedicated to.
However working on a ward where the temperature has hit 40c, in a thick, polyester mix uniform (because they wont allow you to put scrubs on), having not had a drink for hours (because you are not allowed one on the ward) and all your fans you have prioritised for patients or are banned because of infection control will make you change your attitude to 'working whatever'.

I didn't pee for 12hrs after that shift and had heat exhaustion - reasonable adjustments to dress, etc is all well and good IF your employer allows it. Healthcare professional or not I need to drink in this heat.

There should be a maximum working temperatures & hospitals shouldnt be exempt... after all if it unbearable for us imagine what it's like for patients.

dayshiftdoris Fri 19-Jul-13 00:21:43

And for what it's worth I think a maximum working temp would stop work but will make employers make provision to keep employees safe...

And it is that which is needed

Cluffyflump Fri 19-Jul-13 00:23:45

I can't stop the sun though DiseasesOfTheSheep.
I want all of my workers to be safe.I genuinely like and care for them.
If I pull off all of my outside work,I will not be able to pay their wages.
If they don't work, I can't pay.

marriedinwhiteagain Fri 19-Jul-13 00:24:56

so if hospitals aren't exempt dayshift what happens to the vulnerable patients when the nurses go home? Shouldn't it be that hospital trusts have to make reasonable adjustments to deal with very high temperatures.

IneedAyoniNickname Fri 19-Jul-13 00:28:08

dayshift I agree, adjustments should be made in this weather, and frankly expecting anyone to go 12 hours without a drink is ridiculous!

ChubbyKitty Fri 19-Jul-13 01:37:46

As someone who works with a 250 degree oven most nights and is not allowed to pee until the 'rush' is over, I think it's a brilliant idea.

However as someone who needs to pay the bills and could probably just eat some ice chips before her shift, I think it's ridiculous.

My role is most certainly not essential btw. I work in a pizza store. I highly doubt I contribute anything to society other than elevated cholesterol. But work is work and I am grateful to even be in a job.

ChubbyKitty Fri 19-Jul-13 01:41:31

Also going to second what dayshift says about employers simply making better provisions. I.E. let the staff go for a drink of water when they've started sweating and getting all flushed.

I feel bad now about my peeing at work situation. Yours is much more unacceptable! shock

MidniteScribbler Fri 19-Jul-13 03:31:40

Good grief, I hope most of you never think about emigrating to Australia. The temperatures you have now are absolutely nothing!

Dress for the climate, drink lots of water, stay in the shade in the middle of the day. Where the heck has common sense gone?

BronaghT Fri 19-Jul-13 03:53:35

I've never heard of anything like this!! As soon as the temp gets over 30. From Adelaide and growing up? Before most school had air con it had to hit 40 before we were allowed he for the day!
As for work places, this is just ridiculous. I'f your workplace has no air con, use fans and make sure staff have access to plenty of water. 30 degrees really is not that hot!!!!

MrsMook Fri 19-Jul-13 04:36:57

It is about what we are acclimatised to and the way we work in the heat. I'm very happy to be on Mat Leave and not in a 70s flat roof classroom with windows that won't open more than 2 inches and 30 stinking sweating teenagers flopping on desks and whinging. It's a bad atmosphere in more ways than one.

I've naturally adapted by drinking more, wearing lighter clothing, and doing house work in the evenings when it's cooler. Encouraging employers to be more flexible on things like dress codes, and flexi-time where possible, and using fans to improve air circulation would make workplaces more comfortable for more people. Other countries manage in greater heat because they work around it. The buildings are designed to reflect and block out the sun, people wear light, loose clothing, the working day avoids the hotest hours.

DH has been working in Saudi Arabia this week where it's been around 48oC. The low humidity helps to make it more managable and it's easier than when we were in a very humid Hong Kong of 38oC.

SprinkleLiberally Fri 19-Jul-13 05:56:32

What mrs mook said.

People need to be allowed to ditch their usual clothing, take drinks with them even if normal rules don't allow.

It may be only 30○ but it's much higher inside buildings in many cases.

SprinkleLiberally Fri 19-Jul-13 05:57:12

That was " 30 degrees outside" btw

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now