8 yr old at Bon jovi concert

(35 Posts)
Dolanette Thu 18-Jul-13 18:33:47

What are your thoughts on bringing a 8 yr girl to Bon Jovi concert, she was at Glee concert (more kid oriented) when she was 6 and enjoyed it. Have u brought your child to a similar concert venue?

DoJo Sun 21-Jul-13 19:30:55

GalaxyDefender Maybe her looks were a comment on your singing! winkgrin

Dolanette Sun 21-Jul-13 18:31:01

We went! We had a great time, we left a little early as she was tired but we both enjoyed it! Jbj is fantastic!

Itsnotahoover Fri 19-Jul-13 07:35:19

At the recent one at Hyde Park, there were several small children, but that was more of a festival atmosphere. At Manchester in June, there was a family in the Diamond circle with kids ranging from about 4 to 15 and they seemed to be having fun. Seems madness to me to spend a couple of hundred pounds per ticket on children that age but then I haven't got money to burn! Ds loves Bon Jovi, but I don't think I'd take him with me just yet (7) as I want to enjoy the concerts and not have to worry about looking out for him/entertaining him all the time. They're not the kind of concerts where everyone rushes the stage though, so I wouldn't have any qualms from a safety point of view, and as previous posters have said, JBJ isn't a big swearer.

Oops, too tired to make proper sense - by "concessions stand" I mean where the (generally) disabled people with concession tickets went, not where you buy food grin
too hot for all this thinking nonsense

I was going to go against the grain and say don't take her, but then you mentioned it was seated - in that case go for it!
Never, ever take small children to the standing area of a concert. Please.

The last gig I went to was infested with small children, even toddlers, and it didn't finish until half ten, on a school night. The seven/eightish year old stod in front of me turned to stare at me moodily whenever I was singing along to a song she didn't know, which was all bar one (her mum didn't know them either confused) and just generally didn't seem to want to be there. It was beyond annoying.

Then there was the bloke behind me who insisted upon lifting his small boy up on his shoulders to see - fine in principle, not so fine when you don't move when you are informed that firstly your child is kicking me in the small of my back, and secondly that your child is blocking the view of the people on the concessions stand angry

MidniteScribbler Fri 19-Jul-13 02:47:57

She'll love it! I can't wait to take my DS in a couple of years.

I saw Bon Jovi last time they toured and it was a fantastic show! I can't wait for December!!

Now I have "It's my life" in my head again!

Go for it. I saw my first concert (Blondie) at 8 and bloody loved it.

GoshAnneGorilla Fri 19-Jul-13 01:34:37

I have never seen so many children at a gig when I saw Rammstein several years ago. I wouldn't have thought they were the most family friendly of bands, but it seemed plenty disagree.

So take your daughter, she'll love it.

Dolanette Fri 19-Jul-13 00:55:41

Thank you everyone for your advice, will take her, DH and I supposed to go together but babysitter didn't work out so my DD will go instead! We have seats. Looking forward to it!

TidyDancer Thu 18-Jul-13 19:59:36

I'm thinking of outdoor gigs tbh wrt the seating issue. If its an indoor gig like at the O2 for eg, then seated would be better. If you're outdoors with basically one stand of seating, I would much rather be able to wander around with the DCs.

malovitt Thu 18-Jul-13 19:50:03

A lot of venues have a policy of no under 14s /16s standing?

theodorakisses Thu 18-Jul-13 19:49:36

Orange pudding, you are ACE!

theodorakisses Thu 18-Jul-13 19:48:52

Yes of course, as long as they want to (was hippy parented kid who was dragged to all sorts of stuff against her will) but yes, yes, yes and am v v v jell.

orangepudding Thu 18-Jul-13 19:47:01

I would bit I did take a 3, 7 and 10 year old to a festival to see Metallica and Slipknot so am probably not the best judge!

StuntGirl Thu 18-Jul-13 19:40:52

Saucy grin

Take her, just ensure she wears some kind of ear plugs/ear defenders.

Chocotrekkie Thu 18-Jul-13 19:38:57

My 7 and 9 yr olds loved it - but yes to ear defenders...

EntWife Thu 18-Jul-13 19:38:41

we took DSD to see Bon Jovi when she was 6. She loved it.

We took ear defenders but she kept taking them off to hear the music better.

Worriedmind Thu 18-Jul-13 19:37:34

DD has been to concerts since age 4 in arena's and to stadiums from 8 because of my old job. Absoloutley loves gigs. Yes to ear defenders.

SaucyJack Thu 18-Jul-13 19:23:52

Go for it. They're hardly Cradle of Filth.

BreconBeBuggered Thu 18-Jul-13 19:21:27

It's fine, but make sure there are no restrictions on children standing if you don't want seats.

ninah Thu 18-Jul-13 19:14:09

she will really need those ear defenders grin

TidyDancer Thu 18-Jul-13 19:11:59

Ignore the anti-Bon Jovi brigade.

You will have a great time. smile

LittleMissGerardButlerfan Thu 18-Jul-13 19:10:46

I would take them,you hear worse language on the street these days anyway!

ninah Thu 18-Jul-13 18:45:22

take her to a proper gig!
still, each to their own, I had a child in R that was obsessed with jbj

KittyVonCatsworth Thu 18-Jul-13 18:41:34

Took my DD to her first festival at 4. She's a proper music and gig goer now. She went to he first unaccompanied festival at 16, which made me nervous, but very proud. Nothing like live music to make the soul alive! I never went to my first gig until I was 30, regretting it big style now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now