AIBU to not think of one reason why women should be banned

(41 Posts)
rottentomatoes Thu 18-Jul-13 11:14:14

from some golf clubs and to be very happy that Mc Ilroy has spoken out to support about the issue.

I honestly can't think of one reason why women should be banned from a sport club, am I missing something?

gordyslovesheep Thu 18-Jul-13 11:15:30

maybe their vaginas distract the poor menz from hitting small balls with sticks too much

rottentomatoes Thu 18-Jul-13 11:19:22

grin

KellyElly Thu 18-Jul-13 11:42:19

I didn't think this was legal any more since the Equality Act.

meddie Thu 18-Jul-13 11:43:51

Its a private club, they are still allowe too.

Whothefuckfarted Thu 18-Jul-13 11:47:45

Are all the staff and waiters male at this private club too? Sounds outrageous to me. I have a female friend who is an avid golfer. she's really good!

MrsKeithRichards Thu 18-Jul-13 11:48:55

Are you thinking about muirfield and the open?

I'm proud of our First Minister for refusing to go. He usually is all over anything happening in scotland for his own gain I'm pleased he's put this issue first

MrsKeithRichards Thu 18-Jul-13 11:50:09

Quite the opposite who the. I grew up near muirfield, many a pretty young girl worked there!

rottentomatoes Thu 18-Jul-13 11:51:07

Yes Muirfield and the open.

squoosh Thu 18-Jul-13 11:52:13

Oh that's ok as long as the pretty young fillies are allowed to wait on them!

Dinosaurs.

LadyBryan Thu 18-Jul-13 11:52:47

Yup, think its appalling. What is also irritating is the dress code.

MrLB was asked to sort out the computers at a club as a favour. He got there and wasn't allowed in as he was wearing jeans.....

MrsKeithRichards Thu 18-Jul-13 11:53:30

That was certainly the norm 15 years ago

meganorks Thu 18-Jul-13 11:53:44

I know of a golf club where the rules were changed to allow women into the club house. Women started to attend. But then women complained about the language used in club house. So they were banned again.

Perihelion Thu 18-Jul-13 11:57:42

Muirfield has always been utterly wanky. The R and A ( also men only ) which oversee the Open, muddies the waters, as it is a private club, but doesn't actually own the Old Course in St Andrews...it's a public course.

digerd Thu 18-Jul-13 12:13:42

gordy hit the nail on the nail on the head, of course.

LessMissAbs Thu 18-Jul-13 12:27:04

The only reason is misogyny. It is a deeply offensive ban. Those who support it should be ashamed of themselves.

I can only conclude, from my other experiences of living here as opposed to other Northern European countries, that Scotland is a deeply sexist, old fashioned country in its attitudes towards women.

Its just random things. I overheard a conversation the other day between two young men, the jist of which was how they weren't prepared to be told what to do at work by their boss, who was a "hormonal woman who couldn't get pregnant". The way I hear men refer to their wives here is often deeply derogatory and totally entrenched. If you haven't been brought up with it, its pretty shocking at times.

MrsKeithRichards Thu 18-Jul-13 12:50:17

Oh come on. So its ok for you to make sweeping generlisations on a whole nation?

fairylightsinthespring Thu 18-Jul-13 12:55:49

Would you also argue that it is U to have women only sessions at gyms or pools? That the WI should be open to men? I actually don't have a problem with somethings being exclusively one or the other. Whether we like it or not, the sexes are different, not that one is better or superior, just different and occasionally it is pleasant to be apart (and I say this as someone whose best friends are men and who tends to run a mile from "all girl / women" type things.

Whothefuckfarted Thu 18-Jul-13 12:58:43

lesmissabs

Outrageous statement against the Scottish.

I'm offended. shock

Tanith Thu 18-Jul-13 12:59:18

I'm reliably informed that women only golf clubs also exist. There is, apparently, nothing to stop a woman playing at a men only club and vice versa - it's just membership of that club that is restricted.

I suppose it's no different from single sex schools.

Quenelle Thu 18-Jul-13 13:01:54

There are men-only clubs in England as well. And apparently 50% of the single sex golf clubs in the UK are women-only.

Obviously as a private club they can do what they like. I don't think they should be allowed to host the Open though.

WorraLiberty Thu 18-Jul-13 13:04:53

I heard on the radio that there are more women only golf clubs than men's.

MaxPepsi Thu 18-Jul-13 13:05:40

Wouldn't bother me one bit.

My dad and brothers are members of a 'stuffy' golf club and it's absolute bliss to go there.

No swearing, lewd drunken behaviour. There is a dress code so everyone makes an effort to look nice.

They've just altered some of the rules to allow men in the ladies lounge and vice versa and it's ruined it!

SoupDragon Thu 18-Jul-13 13:12:24

I'm not entirely sure that not allowing someone in because they were wearing jeans is the same as not letting someone in because they don't have a penis.

SpecialAgentTattooedQueen Thu 18-Jul-13 13:28:10

Am I the only woman who thinks golf is fun and doesn't really give a shit about grumbly old farts mens views? blush I've had men grumble about me.

They stopped when they realised I didn't actually care what they thought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now