to give a 3 month old some sugar?

(21 Posts)
WestieMamma Wed 17-Jul-13 22:02:50

He had his vaccinations today and now has a fever. I'm not in the UK and the liquid paracetamol here is vile. He won't take it at all. Would it be really bad to mix it into some sugar? I ask as they gave him sugar syrrup at the clinic to calm him when they vaccinated him so hope it'll be okay to help get him to take the medicine. sad

Sorry for the blatant misuse of AIBU for a speedy response.

I would have thought that one little bit of sugar wouldn't do him too much harm. I hope he feels better soon.

HollaAtMeBaby Wed 17-Jul-13 22:05:25

YABU. Will he take a bottle? Can you put it in a bottle of milk (expressed/formula)?

Edendance Wed 17-Jul-13 22:05:51

Do you have a syringe to give it to him? I'd avoid the sugar if you can but if not then I'm sure it won't do any harm :-)

Chocotrekkie Wed 17-Jul-13 22:06:57

I would say if he has a fever you do whatever you have to in order to get the medicine in him..

aftermay Wed 17-Jul-13 22:09:10

My priority would be to bring the temperature down.

I don't see why it's be worse than giving sugary calpol, which I've done at that age. As long as it isn't done often.

Have you tried giving it with a syringe? You should able to give it so the baby can't help but swallow most of it.

I have resorted to all sorts of things at least as bad as this to get necessary medicine into my dd.

BridgetBidet Wed 17-Jul-13 22:09:51

Won't do any harm but be warned I gave my baby some sugar on the advice of an elderly relative and it made him so hyper he screamed non-stop for 8 hours.

5madthings Wed 17-Jul-13 22:11:30

Sugar is a natural pain reliever anyway, I always buy the calpol with sugar run rather than sugar free. I would do it as you need to get temp down.

maja00 Wed 17-Jul-13 22:13:42

Paracetamol isn't recommended purely to reduce fevers anymore. So long as he isn't in pain I'd just keep him cool.

I'd do whatever I needed to to make him comfortable and NOT beat myself up over it either.

katiecubs Wed 17-Jul-13 22:19:13

Yes I would. Use natural brown sugar.

DS was given sugar water after he was born for his newborn check by the doctors so it won't do any harm!

EntWife Wed 17-Jul-13 22:21:33

you may find that he has rather explosive nappies if you do give it to him.

when babies get constipated a great remedy is a bottle of water with a pinch of brown sugar. the sugar irritates the bowel and causes it to flush itself out, thus resolving the constipation. it won't do him any harm but just wanted to warn you what to expect.

ibuprofen is better for fever I think if you have access.

WestieMamma Wed 17-Jul-13 22:29:33

Thanks everyone. I gave it to him and he took it straight down. He's asleep now but making sad, little wimpering noises in his sleep sad

honeytea Wed 17-Jul-13 23:14:13

I hope his fever stays down poor baby sad if I remember rightly your in Sweden? The liquid paracetamol really is vile there. We use the tablets you put in the baby's bum, they work really well. We also have calpol for mild pain/slight temp but the internal paracetamol is good when it is a real emergency or if the child is vomiting.

DorothyMantooth Wed 17-Jul-13 23:46:56

We were prescribed paracetamol suppositories for DD after her 8 week jabs, as she had a nasty fever and will not swallow calpol for love nor money. It was child-specific and we had to cut the tablets in two for the correct dose. It worked a treat, so if you need to give him another dose and you're worried about giving him another dose of sugar, it might be worth asking your doctor for some.

DD also makes those whimpering noises after her jabs, it's the saddest noise I've ever heard.

Poor little one.

I hope he's better soon.

dangly131 Thu 18-Jul-13 06:53:04

A method I have previously used with children to give medicines is to keep the spoon/syringe in their mouth and blow in their face while they are given the dosage. The air in their face will make them swallow thus consuming anything in their mouths!

Sugar won't help a fever though? So what's the point?

ExcuseTypos Thu 18-Jul-13 06:59:15

The sugar tastes nice Creature, so the baby will take the medicine.

mamachelle Thu 18-Jul-13 07:01:18

with dd1 i used to pierce a few extra holes into a teat and fill with calpol. it was always sucked so quickly she never knew that she had swallowed anything!

hope he is feeling better soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now